Just now getting in to Jeep liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randal Davis

Reaction score
think after your reply, i know for sure i will not use Rough Country. ill just stick with the cheap lift kit, i found ... if something breaks, i'll have my old liberty to get parts from ..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rough country is the same as any spacer lift
But if you do not care how it rides and handles and replacing parts that a spacer lift causes then find out for yourself how bad they are
My experience over the past 45 plus years building 4x4s with various lifts from good to bad is I would never ever run one for a mile
But hey we tried to save you heartache and money
but carry on and find out for yourself
You can lead a horse to water , but you can not make it drink
Amazing how some come for advice but refuse to listen to folks who have been doing this for years
I've been building KJs for 17 years, how about you ?

Randal Davis

Reaction score
i never said i wasnt going to listen or take advice. But i like lifted trucks, make it easy to get around in the winter time.
I just want something i can say Thats mine and stands out from the rest of the liberty`s in my area ... and that i can go play with from time to time.. either on trail or in the snow ...

and still be a every day driver ..... i don't want to be everyone else and have a normal looking auto, in my area and never go have fun with it ...
I like being different ..

and as far as advice and listing, learning is key . and that's why i came to the page.
if i didnt want to learn or listen i would of just scrolled on by, when i searched for lifted Liberty pages ..

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never said i wasnt going to listen or take advice. But i like lifted trucks, make it easy to get around in the winter time.
I just want something i can say Thats mine and stands out from the rest of the liberty`s in my area ... and that i can go play with from time to time.. either on trail or in the snow ...

and still be a every day driver ..... i don't want to be everyone else and have a normal looking auto, in my area and never go have fun with it ...
I like being different ..

and as far as advice and listing, learning is key . and that's why i came to the page.
if i didnt want to learn or listen i would of just scrolled on by, when i searched for lifted Liberty pages ..
Do you man..build it how you want 50 60 kjs dont matter you just gotta build yours how you want

AaronFord

Reaction score
Randal, I did the ebay spacer kit~$100 back in 2016. It works great. Drives fine. I bought the 25 dollar overload bushings and they install super easy. I run 255/70R16 tires on stock wheels. First set was Pirelli Scorpion MTR, second set are BFG Mud Terrains. They both rub a little on a 2/1.5 lift. You can PM me for details if necessary.

Randal Davis

Reaction score
this is the kit im looking at ..

FRONT 2.5" & REAR Spacer 2.0" Leveling Lift Kit for 02-07 Jeep Liberty KJ

You must be registered for see images attach

Glenn Dickson

Reaction score
Well first are you going to lift it or not
Only lift currently worth installing is OMW 927/948 springs with either Bilstein or OME shocks
Then if lifting either 7 inch wide wheels with 4 inches of backspacing
or 8 inch wide with 5 inches of backspacing
Then 31 inch tall tires
and are you ready to regear to 4.10s ?
If not mileage loss, lose power, harder on transmission

265-70-16s work good on an 8 inch wide wheel
245-75-16s work great on a 7 inch wide wheel
both same height

Doesn't matter if 16 or 17 inch wheels, they have nothing to do with tire size just like comparing a Ford Exploder against a Liberty
two different things

Glenn Dickson

Reaction score
Any difference with a diesel on the regearing? My little CRD climbs hills with no downshift where as all of my gas JEEPS and HEMI Ram 1500 start sweating and downshift on the same hill.

Donnydark

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOt long ago, my wife and i bought our first Jeep liberty .
2005 Liberty with only 98k miles on it, after having it inspected by the shop, seems the Frame on the drivers side right before the mounting for the lower control arm, is rusted out.

SO i found another Liberty Body, will be going from a standard liberty to a Limited body.
Only doing a motor, trans and transfer swap over ..
the frame is almost perfect on the other body..

Our 05 Liberty came stock with 16" rims, the other liberty has 16" after market rim..

anyway my question is, IF adding a 2.5" list to the jeep, what size rims and Tire can i run.
I do have a Ford Explor, that has 17" tires on it. I know i cant use the rims from the ford. but tires I want to say they are 265 or 285 /70/17 . What rims will work on my liberty with a 2.5" lift with out modding the frame work of fenders using 17" tires ..

Attachments

• Tire sizes for jeep KJ II.pdf
    220.5 KB · Views: 16

Randal Davis

Reaction score

Me > im lifting and not regearing ... just staying stock with all that .. i don't mind a little mileage lose... as for the harder on trans, i dont mind that either. ill have a extra one if something goes wrong ..
i do plain on adding a aftermarket trans cooler to it and a aftermarket oil cooler as well ..
and plugging off the trans cooler in the rad .. but that will become later on ..
If i have to stay with Stock 16 i will. But some of the liberties that i have researched have came with 17" on them from factory.
most are on the 3.7L .. everything with the 2.8 ? all have 16" some even have 15`s ..

I will have the extra parts like trans, and transfer case, rear end, drive axel, drive shaft from my 05. so im not really worried about breaking something or having to do a swap on trans and transfer ..

If i have to beat the pinch weld in order to stop the rub. i dont mind doing that in order to fit 17`s on .
but like i had talked about before i dont mind staying 16" , just as long as i can get some meaty tires under it and still be lifted for winter and trailing with from time to time and still yet be a daily driver .. ...

Randal Davis

Reaction score

thank you, that's pretty much what i was tryin to look for. as for what tires i can fit adn what to look for or even fix. that chat is PERFECT
that information right there helps alot ...
Blessings ..

Last edited:

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in midwest part. and nothing here as far as lifted lib`s... everything around me is Chevy and ford, heck i even have a lifted Ford with a 5.0. that was my dads and its ok,a dang gas guzzler ..
ill be glad when the wife gets her auto so i can have the jeep back to do the motoro swap and lift it ... just buying time right now. before i order or buy anything for it ..
SO if there is some links of Good, cheap lift kits under 250.00 or cheaper. please by all means post em up ... looking for something other than ebay for good QTY parts at a cheap price ... even used ones for that matter and within 1 or 2 hours of my location ..

I'm in the midwest part of indiana as well. There are 5 or 6 other lifted kj's around here. Two have O.M.E. springs, two have Daystar stickers so most likely have spacers, not sure about the others.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Randal, I did the ebay spacer kit~$100 back in 2016. It works great. Drives fine. I bought the 25 dollar overload bushings and they install super easy. I run 255/70R16 tires on stock wheels. First set was Pirelli Scorpion MTR, second set are BFG Mud Terrains. They both rub a little on a 2/1.5 lift. You can PM me for details if necessary.
You have been extremely lucky then

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
WHEEL SIZE DOES NOT MATTER
TIRE SIZE DOES
If you want you can run 20 inch wheels as long as you stay with the right tire size/ height

backspacing and width play a larger part than wheel size does

Randal Davis

Reaction score
ru
WHEEL SIZE DOES NOT MATTER
TIRE SIZE DOES
If you want you can run 20 inch wheels as long as you stay with the right tire size/ height

backspacing and width play a larger part than wheel size does

running 20`s to me do not look right on any thing, other than a Semi or a Custom built truck..

Chryslerdude

Reaction score
2005 Liberty with only 98k miles on it, after having it inspected by the shop, seems the Frame on the drivers side right before the mounting for the lower control arm, is rusted out.

SO i found another Liberty Body, will be going from a standard liberty to a Limited body.

Our 05 Liberty came stock with 16" rims, the other liberty has 16" after market rim..

anyway my question is, IF adding a 2.5" list to the jeep, what size rims and Tire can i run.
I do have a Ford Explor, that has 17" tires on it. I know i cant use the rims from the ford. but tires I want to say they are 265 or 285 /70/17 . What rims will work on my liberty with a 2.5" lift with out modding the frame work of fenders using 17" tires ..