need help with melting bumber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchased a borla dual exhaust system for my 2002 jeep liberty limited. I was just inspecting it and realized the drivers side tip is melting the bumber. Any ideas of how to move the tip or should I cut the bumber?

* please note: I know the pictures aren't the best I will try and upload more. I had to pull the tip down to try and get the pictures that's why my hand is present.

Thank you for your time. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Attachments

• 1411679033957.jpg
    1411679033957.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 1411679101751.jpg
    1411679101751.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 58

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta either hang it lower or deal with the bumper getting a bit soft. It won't melt the bumper away.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Was never made to have exhaust like that, simple thing to do is just cut out around where its hitting at. Easy/ simple/ and you'll be the hit of the gang down at the pool hall
OR go ahead and do the tommudd rear bumper cut

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feed back. I think im just going to cut the bumper where it is melting. Ill post more pictures for an update! i appreciate the help.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the Borla dual system for awhile until I crushed the muffler.Something is not installed correctly as the pipes are to high.They should be at least 1/2" from the bottom of the bumper.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the Borla dual system for awhile until I crushed the muffler.Something is not installed correctly as the pipes are to high.They should be at least 1/2" from the bottom of the bumper.
Im not too sure what could be installed wrong. I had it professionally installed. i even read through and watched them install it and they did every step correctly. Maybe i should add some spacers on top of the hanger bracket? ill have to look at the driver side to make sure there is 1/2" of space.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not too sure what could be installed wrong. I had it professionally installed. i even read through and watched them install it and they did every step correctly. Maybe i should add some spacers on top of the hanger bracket? ill have to look at the driver side to make sure there is 1/2" of space.
The Borla system is clamped together so there is play until you tighten the clamps.You must place the system 1st with all the correct clearances before tightening the clamps.No real use trying to loosen the clamps and adjusting as the pipes are set in that angle now.Best bet is to manually bend the pipes down to clear the bumper.

I did mine in a parking lot and set everything so it ended up with 1/2" of clearance before I tightened the clamps.

best pic I could find when I still had the Borla system and the factory rear bumper.Hard to really tell but there was 1/2" of clearance between the pipes and the bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not every step was done right or it would have been test fitted before tightening. I have done many and I know Tjkj is correct. All kits should be test fitted before tightening and Im surprise that a professional shop would not know this. If it were me I would go back and complain big time. And I put that nicely.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not every step was done right or it would have been test fitted before tightening. I have done many and I know Tjkj is correct. All kits should be test fitted before tightening and Im surprise that a professional shop would not know this. If it were me I would go back and complain big time. And I put that nicely.
i am going back. thanks