Need help desperetly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustintackett85

Reaction score
I have a 04 Liberty I bought for wife the turn signals stopped but hazards work I changed multi function switch and wasn't sure exactly wheat fuse it could be so changed a couple bad ones the blinkers still don't work any suggestions?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start checking voltages at the fuse block, signal wire out the multifunction switch, relay and then depending on where you DO have 12v signal, trace the wiring until it stops, find the break in the circuit..

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that hazards work OK means that the general wiring is OK.
Fuse #11 and #39 inside the cabin fuse box may be relevant but I doubt it.

Download the 2003 KJ Service Manual here....includes the wiring diagrams...close enough to the 2004 model.

You will see from the wiring diagram for the Hazard switch that the one section of the Multifunction switch namely connector C1 pin 8 is supposed to be at ground at all times...this switch toggles one way to provide this ground to pin 6 or toggles the other way to provide ground to pin 10. this causes the left side or the right side turn signals to operate.

So I would definitely say that the ground point has gone missing. So temporary splice a wire from a clean chassis point to the wire on Multifunction switch connector C1 pin 8....probably a Black/Tan wire. If it now works then your ground has gone missing.

If you leave the toggle switch in its center ie. not trying to indicate that you are turning and touch ground to pin C1 pin 6 then one side should flash and then move the ground to C1 pin 6 and the other side should flash. I am having problems at the moment attaching the relevant page of the Flasher circuit but you will find it if you download the 2003 KJ Service Manual here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that hazards work OK means that the general wiring is OK.
Fuse #11 and #39 inside the cabin fuse box may be relevant but I doubt it.

Download the 2003 KJ Service Manual here....includes the wiring diagrams...close enough to the 2004 model.

You will see from the wiring diagram for the Hazard switch that the one section of the Multifunction switch namely connector C1 pin 8 is supposed to be at ground at all times...this switch toggles one way to provide this ground to pin 6 or toggles the other way to provide ground to pin 10. this causes the left side or the right side turn signals to operate.

So I would definitely say that the ground point has gone missing. So temporary splice a wire from a clean chassis point to the wire on Multifunction switch connector C1 pin 8....probably a Black/Tan wire. If it now works then your ground has gone missing.

If you leave the toggle switch in its center ie. not trying to indicate that you are turning and touch ground to pin C1 pin 6 then one side should flash and then move the ground to C1 pin 6 and the other side should flash. I am having problems at the moment attaching the relevant page of the Flasher circuit but you will find it if you download the 2003 KJ Service Manual here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

This is excellent information (and shows how knowing how to read a wiring schematic and knowing about switched ground circuits is important!). Also, yes, I concur, running a ground wire overlay to connector 1, pin 8, and jumping that now known good ground to the ground pins for left and right turn indicators should be all the testing necessary.

If it works with the new overlay (ensuring pin 8 has it's proper ground connection) you may be able to get away with just leaving it at that instead of tracking down where the ground has lost connection.