NEED HELP! 04 liberty NightMare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04limitedliberty

Reaction score
Guess i got a bad one. I'll run over to advance in the a.m and switch it out. Lets hope it does the trick.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you know if your cooling fan operates properly?
I guess worse come to worse, leave the thermostat out and gift it to her.

bad water pump?
seems unlikely since you have heat, i think.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
do you know if your cooling fan operates properly?
I guess worse come to worse, leave the thermostat out and gift it to her.

bad water pump?
seems unlikely since you have heat, i think.

The tstat can be a stocking stuffer:happy175:

Any updates? These do like Mopar tstats the best as TJKJ said. Do you have one fan or two fans?

Chumly

Reaction score
Just my couple pennies here once the Mopar brand thermostat is installed (they're closed now probably):

I couldn't take out the bleeder on an '02 and my fans wouldn't come on from what I assume was an air bubble over the sensor to turn them on. I massaged the upper hose and acting like a pump. You could see the reservoir go down over time and taking in more water into the system. IIRC, It took two res top-offs before I felt the top hose actually get hot and a good feeling the water was flowing.

I put on a thick arc welding glove and kept pumping the hose with my hand (ugh, stop chuckling) and kept feeling air in there so I didn't stop until it felt really solid, full of water. Once that pump is primed the system really should take care of the rest but I felt continuing to massage the upper hose just assisted.

This did work for me after changing out the water pump, changing out the heater core nipples on the passenger side of the engine, and not being able to take out that allen fitting without tearing it all to hell and needing to fix that too. Water pumps are not positive displacement and you have to motivate them to get the flow going. A flush can do this too but that's either a home job where you use tap water (yuck! flush that out too now) or a Stealership jobbie.

Very shade tree advice I'm sure of.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my couple pennies here once the Mopar brand thermostat is installed (they're closed now probably):

I couldn't take out the bleeder on an '02 and my fans wouldn't come on from what I assume was an air bubble over the sensor to turn them on. I massaged the upper hose and acting like a pump. You could see the reservoir go down over time and taking in more water into the system. IIRC, It took two res top-offs before I felt the top hose actually get hot and a good feeling the water was flowing.

I put on a thick arc welding glove and kept pumping the hose with my hand (ugh, stop chuckling) and kept feeling air in there so I didn't stop until it felt really solid, full of water. Once that pump is primed the system really should take care of the rest but I felt continuing to massage the upper hose just assisted.

This did work for me after changing out the water pump, changing out the heater core nipples on the passenger side of the engine, and not being able to take out that allen fitting without tearing it all to hell and needing to fix that too. Water pumps are not positive displacement and you have to motivate them to get the flow going. A flush can do this too but that's either a home job where you use tap water (yuck! flush that out too now) or a Stealership jobbie.

Very shade tree advice I'm sure of.

You fill the engine through that bleeder plug,doing what you did was a labor intensive and very lucky way to do it before any engine damage was done.

04limitedliberty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

hope you all had a great holiday. Ive ordered a mopar Tstat, and im still waiting for it to come in. ( its been delayed) I may break down, and go over to the dealer and buy one form then. As you can imagine, my patience is running thin. LOL. Right now, im doing what CHUMLEY mentioned above. seems like there is still air in the system after countless attempts to get it all out. Ive made some slight progress, but its still not right. I think the issue is air in my coolant system. im going to prime the upper hose, and then throw the scanner on her. she if the temp comes down at all. I might as well go to the dealer and buy the mopar Tstat. Tell ya what. the jeeps got some darn good power, when the reman heads were ported and polished. i dont have hard data to show, but you can certainly tell it improved the torque.

flytonehundred

Reaction score
Hi guys,

hope you all had a great holiday. Ive ordered a mopar Tstat, and im still waiting for it to come in. ( its been delayed) I may break down, and go over to the dealer and buy one form then. As you can imagine, my patience is running thin. LOL. Right now, im doing what CHUMLEY mentioned above. seems like there is still air in the system after countless attempts to get it all out. Ive made some slight progress, but its still not right. I think the issue is air in my coolant system. im going to prime the upper hose, and then throw the scanner on her. she if the temp comes down at all. I might as well go to the dealer and buy the mopar Tstat. Tell ya what. the jeeps got some darn good power, when the reman heads were ported and polished. i dont have hard data to show, but you can certainly tell it improved the torque.
If you have a compressor, using one of these to fill the coolant can get most/all of the air out. Just used it twice in the last day (one was on my KJ), and no burping needed. Just got in and drove, and didn't need to even top it off later, as little/no air was in the system.

Robinair 75260 Coolant Refiller with Air Lock Preventer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QFDRS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_VNKrAbTD3CMRV