Need Bigger Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hveracoechea

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am very new to off-roading and not very ********. At this time I'm looking add bigger tires to my renegade but very confused as to what parts I will need.
I am looking at Rusty's 2.5" Strut Spacer Lift Kit (Including the Shocks), which will allow 31" All-Terrains.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...duct_Code=RK-BB20-KJ&Category_Code=sus_kj_kit

Is this a good start?
I will appreciate suggestions with some links

Thanks in advance
:)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Strut Spacer lifts that go over the strut (as opposed to inside the strut) have a tendency to destroy the struts themselves and other parts of the suspension. It is generally recommended that you stray away from these.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Option #1 :)

Daystar under the spring poly spacer kit. $ 165.00 Best spacer lift for the KJ.

Option #2 :D

Rusty's coil spring lift. $ 465.00 for the price it's pretty good. I run it, no problems. Just opt for Rancho rear shocks( 17004 I believe) when ordering, since the Rusty's rear shocks are not all that good.

Option # 3 luxhello.gif

OME SPRINGS/RANCHO SHOCKS for about $ 600.00 range. This is the best way to go if you want the best springs out there. These springs will not sag as much as the Rusty's springs will.

Option # 4 icon996.gificon996.gif

Frankenlift is the top of the crop in KJ lifts. This kit wil run you roughly $ 1000.00 But it will come pre assembled if you like. It is the best kit. It has the OME springs, and Daystar upper stut plates. This kit combines the best parts and makes it into the Frankenlift.

Here's some links:

http://boulderbars.com/frankenlift.htm

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=sus_kj_kit

http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-2_5__Lift_Spring_Kit_Jeep_Liberty_KJ-9.aspx

Any of the above will allow for 245/75/16's which may or may not rub in the wheel wells. I have 245/75/16 BFG AT KO's on mine which rub slightly and I run the Rusty's 2.5" coil lift kit.

Last edited:

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Option # 3.5

OME coils and shocks. IMO this is the best setup for a KJ DD. It'll take tough treatment but still ride smooth and stable when you get back on the pavement.

Keep in mind that if you go real huge with the tires, like bigger than 245/75 16s for example, you'll have other issues to deal with. Like needing to regear to compensate for power loss. Also your transmission may be confused about when to shift, etc. if it's an auto.

Tire choice is a study in itself. Take the time to read/ask about the purpose of each type of tire. I advocate using dedicated winter tires on separate rims if you live in a wintry area, for example. We drive Jeeps, and to take maximum advantage of their mechanical abilities we need to use the best tire type for the conditions...

hveracoechea

Reaction score
Thank you guys, you have been very helpful.

Now I have another question :) with 2.5" lift the biggest tires I can use are 245/75/16? what about 265/70/16?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe 255/70/16's. Some even 265/75/16's with a bunch of trimming the front bumper and pounding the pinch welds behind the front tires.

I run 245/75's on mine and have rub like I said. Those 255/70's should be alright.

Tommudd runs the 255/70's I believe.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 dont waste your money on a spacer lift when it is all said and done you will end up buying a spring lift
lets say you get a spacer lift for $200 with no shocks or struts ,well when you get to 35-40K you will need them any way so if you are near or over that then you will need struts and shocks so add that to the cost and you have almost payed for the spring lift

as far as tires go I would buy a tire for what you do
if you go off road even once a month then I would say a good MT would be worth it
if you go off road once a year get what ever you think looks good

oh no matter what you do keep the OE wheels and put 245/75's on them
this will cause the least problems as far as rubbing goes