Need advise on getting gps and more.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lib03

Reaction score
Greetings, I have had a Jeep wrangler(95) for the last 5 months. as of last night I traded it in for a 03 liberty limited edition. I absolutly love it.
However i still have some stuff to work on. I need to purchase a gps unit, for extended trips into the west va mountains. I was wondering if any of you had any advise for me as to what to chose. I also have to use this as a commuting vehicle since i work in the DC area. I was just wondering about stuff like a lift kit, a sound system, I like the one thats in it but would like alittle more(im 18) lol. You know a pair of subs or sumthing.
I have been looking at some of the pics you guys have been posting and they look pretty basic. My wrangler was totally custom. I have noticed a huge difference in the ride quality and im loving it. the wrangler was a vehicle that would beat you to death. It almost did about 3 weeks ago..
I have noticed that the rear suspention is much stiffer than the front.. Does anyone else have this? is it normal?
it would be awesome if i could just get some recommondations as to what to get. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For GPS, I went with a mouse GPS mounted on the roof, connected to a PDA that I just leave sitting on the console (at some point I'll get a windshield mount). The mouse GPS are very inexpensive (mine was ~$50). PDAs are more expensive (mine was $250), but they have a lot of other uses, and you can load whatever GPS software and maps you want.

For sound system, I installed an alpine deck (the 9830) that I bought from crutchfield, along with the iPod CD Changer adapter. I haven't replaced the stock speakers, yet, but that's because they sound pretty nice for stock. The install kit from crutchfield is very nice for the KJ, I have photos of it in the link in my sig.

The difference in suspension might be because (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) the front suspension is independant, and the rear is straight.

chaz0_man0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a PDA GPS system or a Garmin GPS unit. Depending on your use.

I use my GPS unit outside alot.. geocaching, marking trails, finding property corners/boundaries exc.. So I use Garmin.. Waterproof and rugged.. Garmin antenna works well under trees and stuff.. Also I can create custom parcel maps/trail maps for the garmin.

If all you do is road trips I would get a PDA GPS or a high end Garmin StreetPilot unit. Something with turn by turn directions and address input.

It all depends on how much you want to spend...

PDA GPS ~$300-$600+...

StreetPilot ~$600-$1200+..
Garmin GPS ~$200-$500+...

ibny

Reaction score
Garmin 340 GPS Unit

I would highly recommend the Garmin 340 unit. It powers up quickly and has all maps of North America pre-loaded with over 6 million points of interest. The touch screen display is just the right size and the windshield mount s very strong. I mounted mine low on the windshield just to te right of the factory gauges. It runs for hours on battery or you can leave it plugged in all the time. I plan to remove the radio trimplate and run a powered wire to my unit from the top of the dashboard. This will allow me to easily remove it to use in another car, and also will eliminate the dangling wire to my in dash power plug. Cost new on Ebay was about $625 including shipping. Well worth it IMHO.

diesel00

Reaction score
Sorry for the newb question, but I was thinking about getting a PDA GPS. I was wondering who I would get the GPS service through? Is there a monthly cost.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diesel00 said:
Sorry for the newb question, but I was thinking about getting a PDA GPS. I was wondering who I would get the GPS service through? Is there a monthly cost.
There is no monthly cost to use GPS. All you need is a GPS reciever.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
billforde said:
diesel00 said:
There is no monthly cost to use GPS. All you need is a GPS reciever.
Yep, every time you pay your taxes you are paying your annual subscription for your GPS usage (biggrin) I've been looking at these myself. I have a Garmin GPS V and a Lowrance iFinder GO (christmas gift from a friend) but I think the PDA with an SDIO GPS and decent navigation software would be nice (unless I can convince myself to ditch the V and my Ipaq and get a Garmin GPS/PDA combo). The one I have been looking at is the Globalsat SD-502 because it has the newest receiver chipset and 512Mb onboard memory (most of the SDIO GPS receivers have no memory storage).

dnm45227

Reaction score
I got my son a Palm Lifedrive PDA, can't comment on the GPS capabilities though (don't have a receiver for it, but they do sell them). I can say that I'm fairly immpressed with the PDA. It's has a 4 gig hard drive, 400+ mhz processor, can handle word, excell, powerpoint, itunes, has bluetooth, and wireless built in, and has an sd slot to import pictures from a digital camera, or to load software in.

Sorry didn't mean to jack the thread, but if your thinking about a pda it's worth looking into the lifedrive.

Dirtnapper

Reaction score
I use my Garmin 76csx... you can also plug this into your laptop and use nRoute...it gives you everything right on the laptop with realtime tracking etc. if you should want a larger screen.

You must be registered for see images

Trip

Reaction score
I got the Garmin 320 and I love it....I compared to all the other brands and also to the other Garmin models and decided that bang for the buck (I got it for 350.00 on Amazon, plus I bought a 1 gig card, 29 bucks)I loaded all of the US and Canada.....the 340 has preloaded maps and has a hard drive that has moving parts that can break and has temp recomendations, the 320 is all card, so it works with vibrations and even below and above the temp recomendations of the hard drive model...plus you will save a hundred bucks..... and you have to update the hard drive anyway as they issue new maps and new programming(which is free) from their website.....its easy, dont be afraid of having to load your maps onto the card......and I didnt feel the need to have the actual street names sounded out for me, but this may be important to some...but you have to go up a couple price points to get that model

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with Garmin products. I own two, a large screen for the TJ and KJ and a smaller one for the Crossfire and Civic.

The map updates, as stated in the post above, are not free. Each update will cost in the range of $75.00 and can be downloaded from the Garmin website. They do have free program updates, but updated maps you have to pay for.

GPS World Supply has about the best prices and are a good online company to deal with.

Garmin StreetPilot c530
http://gpsworldsupply.com/gps_world_supply.php?step=productinfo&productNum=010-00521-00

Garmin StreetPilot i5
http://gpsworldsupply.com/gps_world_supply.php?step=productinfo&productNum=010-N0496-00

Size comparison

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Finedrive 400 GPS which you can stuff a 2gig SD card in and optionally boot into Windows to run iGuidance v3.0 and any other WinCE Software, listen to MP3s or watch movies movies.

They retail for about $260 on Ebay I think... largest screen size (of more expensive ones) at 4 inches.

Nothing else can touch it's features and screen size for price I don't think...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pocket PC + CF or BlueTooth GPS Receiver + Mapopolis.
GREAT.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opinion

A Garmin c340 at Wally World for about $325.00 ??

What ya think??

jsbelljr83

Reaction score
I have a Megellan Roadmate 360 that I got off eBay and it works great!! I did get an after market roof antennea for better reception.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garmin C340

Just paid $370.00 for mine at Best Buy..........I can't belive e-bay was over $600.00 ??