Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

railink

Reaction score
Looking at an 03 renegade, owner stated Jeep has a misfire.

He at least honestly informed me that the rocker came off cylinder #6.

Overall it looks good minus this.

What financial heartaches would I be looking at to correct this?

Thanks gang

Liberty4L

Reaction score
I would keep looking, as it seems it is a recurring problem. The seller has already been in there once and attempted a repair. Misfires can be nothing major or something very serious, they can be tricky a lot of components can trigger a misfire to occur. I found a ton Liberty's on this website:

https://www.autolist.com/jeep-liber...tude=-71.05888010000001&sort_filter=price:asc

I would keep looking and be patient until you find a less problematic one. Good luck with your search and I hope I was helpful :)

Brisbanejeeper

Reaction score
the curse of the Chrysler 226 strikes again !!!!!
has any one figured out why this was never a recall
if it didnt cause to much damage it might need a head rebuild, I had my head replaced but it is bound to happen again to the other side my head cost $1200 installed it was a rebuilt head it could have been worse it could have been a piston rod flying through the block
but misfires can be caused by something s little as a lose wire bad plug or even a dirty plug start with the plug and work your way back

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Because it's not a safety issue.

Same can be said about Honda auto transmissions,some years of Ford 3V V8's spark plugs,GM fuel pumps,nissan CVT trans,kia/hyundai timing belts,and I could keep on going.

Oh come on Troy, anything that happens should be a recall. You know a lot of folks think that if they get a rust hole on a 20 year old vehicle there should be a recall done ! :happy175:
Yes have actually read that before :emotions34::emotions34:and several people agreed even :favorites68:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually there's a class action suit about the Ford 3v v8 incredible self ejecting spark plugs.

The car industry is so fickle about what they will and will not warranty, they begrudgingly accepted covering most new vehicles for years and eventually started adding longer coverage for trucks.
Toyota and others cover some items without a recall as a "courtesy program",this is how we got a new dash for our van. But Toyota didn't cover the bad headgaskets in the 7MGE/GTE motors they sold 1986-92, but did cover the headgaskets for one of their V6 motors of the same era, the cars with the 7M motors were the top of the Toyota line pre Lexus. Somebody somewhere is crunching the numbers deciding what short cut to take in manufacturing to boost profits that year and trying to guess at the implications for future liability.

For the OP price what you will pay according to the worst repair case scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually there's a class action suit about the Ford 3v v8 incredible self ejecting spark plugs.

That should have been a recall. A friend had an F150 that happened to. The first time, he was told he needed a new motor. Did that (got *****), happened again less than 30k later. He traded that sucker in on....you guessed it....a new Ford F150.

Some people never learn :emotions34:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should have been a recall. A friend had an F150 that happened to. The first time, he was told he needed a new motor. Did that (got *****), happened again less than 30k later. He traded that sucker in on....you guessed it....a new Ford F150.

It only effect like 3 years of engines and the spark plugs breaking during replacement was the common issue not spark plugs blowing out of the head.

I have done hundreds of plug changes on those 3v Fords and not one had blown out a plug,had a few break on me but after finding a sure fire way for no broken plug method of removal that has even been a non-issue.

Only seen 2 Ford engines come in with blown out plugs and both were 4.6 2v V8's well before those bad design 3v plugs even came out and both in modified Mustangs.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got a mailer for the settlement but I had already replaced the engine with rebuilt that supposedly fixed the issue, and I DIYed the spark plugs before the engine crapped out. When I was doing maintenance when I first got it there were two lose sparkplugs at the back of the motor, freaking rubber boot on the ignition coil was melted. Guy I know at a shop said I was lucky to find them before they shot out of the block.

The folks who went though the dealer for maintenance got taken, to have it happen twice to the same truck is unforgivable. At 30k miles that should have been warranted. I would say I'm not brand loyal enough to stick with another f150, but I've been a jeep idiot for some time now. As long as I can put a motor in the jeep and it does well off road somehow I'm happy with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only effect like 3 years of engines and the spark plugs breaking during replacement was the common issue not spark plugs blowing out of the head.

I have done hundreds of plug changes on those 3v Fords and not one had blown out a plug,had a few break on me but after finding a sure fire way for no broken plug method of removal that has even been a non-issue.

Only seen 2 Ford engines come in with blown out plugs and both were 4.6 2v V8's well before those bad design 3v plugs even came out and both in modified Mustangs.

Having had a 4.6 Modular 2v engine in my Grand Marquis, I can say that blown out plugs in that engine are usually a result of only having about 3 threads in the head for the plug to actually screw into and secure. Improper torque or use of anti-seize compound make the issue worse.. damage the threads even a little, and you increase the chance that they can't hold the plug in under pressure.

Otherwise, I loved that engine. Lots of torque, good power band, VERY smooth operation. In fact.. I loved that whole car... miss it now.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had a 4.6 Modular 2v engine in my Grand Marquis, I can say that blown out plugs in that engine are usually a result of only having about 3 threads in the head for the plug to actually screw into and secure. Improper torque or use of anti-seize compound make the issue worse.. damage the threads even a little, and you increase the chance that they can't hold the plug in under pressure.

Otherwise, I loved that engine. Lots of torque, good power band, VERY smooth operation. In fact.. I loved that whole car... miss it now.

I have a '03 Town Car with the 2v 4.6,great car.