Need advice 2002 Liberty 200000KM possible timing chain prob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowk99

Reaction score
Hi all

My 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport with a 3.7L needs some attention

I uploaded some videos of my engine during cold start and after a 20 min run. It has a distinct ticking noise, to me it sounds too loud for injectors and I wouldn’t consider it a knock. I`m pretty sure I need to change my timing chain; I would like your input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebq_s-g9tpE - Cold Start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS2WSoKbkdE - After a 20 min run

- Cost of parts?
- Cost of labour?
- Does the engine need to come out to change the timing chain?

I found a timing chain kit on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/JEEP-TIMING-CHAI...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c11956b43

And I got a quote from a local machine shop
- Pull the engine
- Install the timing chain kit from eBay
- check the engine for any other problems
- fill with new fluids and filter
- reinstall engine
780$

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
120,000 miles..ok.
How do you know it is the timing chain more like tensioner?
Even though the jeep would lite up like a X-mas tree on the dash..I would be tempted to remove the serpentine belt start it and then listen to it, I believe that can be done.
Anyways since I am not suppose to post a link to the factory service manual LOL..
FSM does not say you have to remove the motor for the timing belt, even though that would be easier to get at it all, and possibly rebuild it if there are other problems.
If I was removing the motor with that mileage, it would be fully re-built before putting it back in that is for sure.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I'd bet it's the tensioners before saying it was the chains.No engine removal required for the chain replacement(all 3) or tensioner replacement.

IF the tensionors are the problem,would you replace the chains also or just the tensioners??

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF the tensionors are the problem,would you replace the chains also or just the tensioners??
It takes about 2-3 hours to replace the tensioners,it takes about 10-12 hours to replace the chains and tensioners.

If you only need the tensioners you really want to do the chains? A proper chain replacement with OE parts is a $1400-$1500 job,maybe $500-$600 for just the tensioners.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"And I got a quote from a local machine shop "? Not sure I get this

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Northern thing-well Canuk anyway

Hey, what's a Canuk?

If you're referring to us north of the 49th, we know what machine shops are. York's Machine Shop in Moose Jaw, SK is one of the finest engine rebuild places in western Canada. I had alot of fun making holes round again and aling honing stuff on their old Sunnen CK-10. Awesome machine in an awesome shop for rebuilding motors.

This Canuck knows what a machine shop is!! Now where is that little pot-stirring emoticon/smiley thing?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
:popcorn: Get em Ian.
Besides Knowing what a machine shop is...
Us Canucks also know what real beer tastes like! :party52:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, what's a Canuk?

If you're referring to us north of the 49th, we know what machine shops are. York's Machine Shop in Moose Jaw, SK is one of the finest engine rebuild places in western Canada. I had alot of fun making holes round again and aling honing stuff on their old Sunnen CK-10. Awesome machine in an awesome shop for rebuilding motors.

This Canuck knows what a machine shop is!! Now where is that little pot-stirring emoticon/smiley thing?

This one?the_finger.gif