need a little help with a leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 Liberty, 3.7v6/auto. I just put in a new radiator & water pump. When i got to the grocery store this AM Jeep was puking what looked like trans fluid. After taking most of the cooling system apart it looks like the leak is coming from the AC condenser. Is the fluid/oil in the AC unit usually pink ???
Ive checked the trans fluid a few times and its not changing. I pulled the trans cooler away from the condenser and the pink stuff still dribbles from the condenser. The trans cooler is not leaking.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, trans fluid is a deep red when new and after it gets burnt for a while it is a very dark red. If your a/c is leaking, it more than likely isn't working. Turn it on and watch to see if the clutch is engaging. Mine also has an external power steering cooler, but I've no idea what color that juice is.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS fluid in an 07 would be the ATF+4 too. Very distinct odor so give it a whiff. Coolant will smell way different.

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not the HOAT coolant. The coolant level hasnt changed either. It is pink. Really doesnt smell like trans fluid. I dont see any leaks from the PS cooler either.
I'm just trying to find out if its ok to drive tomorrow. 55 mile round trip to work and back.

I just went out & checked, the PS is not leaking. The wet spot shows on the condenser only and runs down from there. It has to be that. How much damage will it do by driving it without oil in the AC. I really dont care if the AC works or not.

Last edited:

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't turn the a/c on, it won't hurt anything. Even if you DO turn it on, if it's leaking oil, then it's leaking refrigerant. It's not going to come on anyway once it gets below a certain pressure.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't turn the a/c on, it won't hurt anything. Even if you DO turn it on, if it's leaking oil, then it's leaking refrigerant. It's not going to come on anyway once it gets below a certain pressure.

Defrost setting activates A/C system to dry the air before it's heated to blow on windshield interior.

Pull the compressor fuse or unplug it.

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you look at the PS cooler? or the lines to it?
since the PS uses atf+4 as well and the cooler is bolted right next to the condenser.

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the PS lines, no leaks there.

I'm going to drive it to work this morning and see what happens. It'll go or it"ll blow !!