Mystery starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinyhousevt

Reaction score
I just got an '07 Sport 3.7L for relatively cheap with a known issue- check engine light is on for three codes related to the gas cap and small evap leaks, which I'm assuming from a little research is a relatively minor fix. I drove it home, drove it to autozone for a new battery, and then brought it back home to swap the batteries. I started it once with the remote starter, and it ran for a few seconds before turning off, which I believe is what Chrysler cars do when they have a check engine light on remote start.
After that, it would not start again and I all of a sudden had the Electronic Throttle Control light come on. Fuel pump ran when in the on position, but no solenoid clicks and nothing from the starter. Swapped the batteries out in hopes of wiping the ETC error but no dice. Left it overnight, came back 24 hours later and it started up first try. Only thing I did differently was push forward on the shifter like I saw recommended in some thread, but I'm not convinced this actually did anything.
Should I be concerned going forward about my ETC having actual problems, or was this some sort of electrical fluke from the old battery or a bad start?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
did you attach both cables together after taking them off of the battery ?
If not do that for 45 minutes or so, then reattach and see what happens or what is any codes come up

tinyhousevt

Reaction score
Is that something to do with grounding or resetting the internal computers?
I can do that tomorrow after I scan for codes. With any luck I don't see that ECT light come on again

Reaction score
Is that something to do with grounding or resetting the internal computers?
I can do that tomorrow after I scan for codes. With any luck I don't see that ECT light come on again

If you get a "Gas Cap" code and message, even after you've replaced the cap/reset battery, replace the vent solenoid that connects to the EVAP canister. Took me 3 weeks and two shop trips before I even found out about it.

Its a 20 dollar fix

tinyhousevt

Reaction score
No "gas cap" message, and no codes today. After stopping/starting several more times the non-starting issue appears to be pretty intermittent, and does seem to be fixed by pressing the shifter firmly into park. After a failed start, the ETC light will usually come on, but goes away once the car starts. Couldn't get my reader to find any codes for some reason.

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It could be the shifter interlock cable. A know issue with KJs. That would not explain the ETC light though. It is just a mechanical interlock to prevent starting in any other gear besides park or neutral. Per your question above, connecting the two battery cables together "cleans out" any stored codes and resets things a bit. Please keep us updated.

tinyhousevt

Reaction score
Appreciate the welcome and the tip- I'll be looking into the shifter interlock issue because it's persistent.
No lights while driving today, not even the check engine I didn't think would go away. This makes me think it was just the gas cap in the first place? Anyway, didn't see the ETC light either. Car started with the remote starter and didn't make the ETC light come up again.