mystery noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

millman44

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask you guys if any of you have experienced this. I have an 03 Libby sport v-6 4x4 that recently started to make this god awful noise in the rear. The nearest thing I can describe it to is a big rig useing it's air brakes. It's coming from the passenger rear of the vehicle. It only does it at lower speeds (30 mph or lower). I'm not a mechanic, but I crawled underneath and expected things. No leaks or anything like that. Tried to reproduce it but bouncing up and down on the rear bumper, but nothing. Shocks look good. Took rear tires off to inspect brakes, as I've had trouble with this thing sticking calipers, but that wasn't it either. The only thing I can figure is something in the driveline or a bearing possibly, but I've heard bearings go before , and it sounded nothing like this. You guys seem to have experienced it all on here, so I figured I'd run it by you. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Also the Libby has just over 65,000 miles. Thanks

2003KJ

Reaction score
Jack up the rear end and spin the tires by hand to help narrow the noise down a bit more.

From what you describe, I would have to guess that it's either bearings or brakes. Are you still on your orig. pads and rotors?

millman44

Reaction score
The pads and rotors on the jeep were replaced last February in the rear. I'm also starting to think it's a bearing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it does it all the time? Not just when youre using the brakes?

Could be the bearings.. How many miles are on it and how many times have you changed the oil in the rear diff?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.