My stock speakers are crackling. Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to take you on this and try it with stock amps + aftermarket speakers and ghetto fit the amps inside the door frame. The wires on the amp seem so darn short! I got a spare to play with before I take the old ones apart :D

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I replaced those wires (between amp and stock speaker) with new ones that I cut a little longer. Was just a + and a - wire... not complicated.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to take you on this and try it with stock amps + aftermarket speakers and ghetto fit the amps inside the door frame. The wires on the amp seem so darn short! I got a spare to play with before I take the old ones apart :D

A possibility is to zip-tie the amps onto the aftermarket speakers. The guy at Best Buy said he's seen that done. I believe somebody else here mentioned it, too.

I found this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...rksid=p2761.l1259&item=270657534210&viewitem=

And here is the message I sent him along with his reply. What do you guys think?

I have an '03 Jeep Liberty with the Infinity premium sound system. My speakers are crackling and I need to replace them. Do you sell just refurbished speakers? I want to keep my amplifiers. One of the reasons I want to keep my amplifiers is because the dealership told me the part number for my amps/speakers was only used on '02-'03 Liberty's. If that's the case, I'm thinking the connectors on the amps may have changed starting with '04.

Sorry I don't have the speakers alone. If the connector is the same it should work. However I can repair your speakers if you like. I will repair them for $65 each or $120 for two. It includes return shipping back to you. It takes me about 3-5 days to turn the speakers around.

Check your connectors. I believe that you will find that the speakers will work. I have sold almost 20 and have not had anyone complain about not functioning.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy that refurbished stuff from anyone, basically he is collecting blown/separated woofers and refoaming/sealing them and selling them. There is a life span for these speakers, and I think if you lived it out, just get an aftermarket speakers/set. Especially now we know that you can safely replace the speakers while keeping the amps, that's more than enough for anyone to just replace them. And to think he is charging that much for them, is absurd!

Ziptie is an interesting approach, but with a longer wire I am sure it can be stuck/secured to anywhere inside the door frame, or we can drill inside the door and basically use same size but longer screws to attach them, similar to what he did here...

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, why is it only my front speakers are crackling? The tweeters and rear speakers seem fine. Also, doesn't it seem odd that both front speakers started crackling at the same time?

Reaction score
A possibility is to zip-tie the amps onto the aftermarket speakers. The guy at Best Buy said he's seen that done. I believe somebody else here mentioned it, too.

I found this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...rksid=p2761.l1259&item=270657534210&viewitem=

And here is the message I sent him along with his reply. What do you guys think?

I have an '03 Jeep Liberty with the Infinity premium sound system. My speakers are crackling and I need to replace them. Do you sell just refurbished speakers? I want to keep my amplifiers. One of the reasons I want to keep my amplifiers is because the dealership told me the part number for my amps/speakers was only used on '02-'03 Liberty's. If that's the case, I'm thinking the connectors on the amps may have changed starting with '04.

Sorry I don't have the speakers alone. If the connector is the same it should work. However I can repair your speakers if you like. I will repair them for $65 each or $120 for two. It includes return shipping back to you. It takes me about 3-5 days to turn the speakers around.

Check your connectors. I believe that you will find that the speakers will work. I have sold almost 20 and have not had anyone complain about not functioning.

i got 2 brand new alpine 6.5's and a warrantee from best buy for 140 so why would you get some refurbished crap for 120?

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my stock stereo unit; consequently, I don't think nice aftermarket speakers would do me much good. Right now I just want to listen to music again without crackling coming from the front speakers. Getting my existing ones refurbished would also mean I wouldn't have to mount the amp onto the speakers with zip ties or onto the door with adhesives. Another advantage is that I'd have speakers that were designed for use with the entire stock setup I've got. Once my employment situation changes (which may not be anytime soon), I'd like to get an entire (aftermarket) stereo system. Ideally, it would be a setup whose individual components are selected carefully so that they work well with one another (to ensure optimum sound quality.)

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I simply threw that out there to see what people's opinions were.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, please do not pay $120 for those crappy speakers, I know exactly what you mean, just being able to listen and have no headache/hassle of replacing the speakers with aftermarkets.

I am going to have disagree with your "consequently, I don't think nice aftermarket speakers would do me much good" statement. Aftermarket speakers, with or without an aftermarket head unit will sound much better. It really doesn't matter whether you have stock or aftermarket radio, after all they work the same with both. I have an aftermarket radio, and I did not touch my speakers, now if I changed them it would mean the same thing as if I kept my stock radio and changed my speakers.

First, find out why they are crackling. Open up the panel and see if they are blown or just separated. You can try to reseal them yourself.

If that doesn't work, look at this, for $100:
You must be registered for see images

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700KD13820/Kenwood-CD-Receiver-Speakers-Package.html?tp=5684 I am sure it would still sound better than the system we have.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, since at some point down the line I'd like to replace my entire stereo system with a nice aftermarket one, I decided to fix this the least expensive way possible: I removed the rear speakers (which weren't crackling) and installed them up front.

I had to snip the wires going to the rear speakers because the connector is different than what's up front. I put some electrical tape on the ends of each wire.

As for how I worked around the amp issue, I opted for zip-ties. I tightened them up as much as I could and the amp stayed in place well. Notice I used nuts to connect the wiring from the amp to the wires coming from the connector on the speaker.

The assembly is now in place in the front door.

Everything I described above was done on both sides and I tested my new setup before putting the door panels back on. The end result? I can now listen to music without crackling speakers.:happy107: The bad news is I've no longer got sound coming from the rear.:icon_frown: I'm actually OK with this as the sound I'm getting from the tweeters in the dash as well as the speakers in the front doors is good.

The total cost? $10. The door panel remover was $8 and the zip ties were $2. I already had snips, a wire splicer, wire nuts, electrical tape, and a phillips screw driver. Oh, and guess how many door panel fasteners I broke throughout this job? Zero. It's amazing how much easier (and effective) a job is when you've got the right tools.

THANKS for everyone's input. Two important things I learned throughout all this are:

1) How great it is to have a forum like this with people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

2) It wasn't that difficult. When it's time for a nice aftermarket system, I'm installing it myself.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually though about this the other night as well, and I am happy to see that it actually worked. :) About no sound coming from the rear, there wasn't much to begin with anyway. :) So my other plan was to get aftermarket speakers wired to my amp only for the rear, because people in the back seem to complain that subwoofer was too loud and it was difficult to hear what was coming from the front. Maybe I can get new speakers for the rear and hook them to my amp.

I think I have some crimp caps left over from my stereo installation, I can just use them as well.

Does anyone know a way to get those rear door wires into the cabin somehow through B Pillar, so I don't actually have to run wiring back and forth to stereo?