My stock speakers are crackling. Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 KJ Limited came from the factory with "Six, Premium Infinity" speakers. They've been crackling for some time now and I'd like to replace them. The stereo unit is stock.

Due to my employment situation, I can't afford to spend more than I have to.

Is this as simple as replacing my stock speakers with some 6 1/2" speakers from Best Buy? If so, how many watts do I need to get? Will the amps bolt directly onto the speakers? Is it possible to replace just the front door speakers and unplug the rear ones? I would eventually get rear ones, though.

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go onto sonicelectronix.com....thats where i got my 2 way components for less than half of what a local electronics retailer wanted, as far as wattage its ok and IMO better to go with a higher rated speaker than stock but dont go insanely high because then the speakers will sound ****** unless u hook up an amp to drive them as far as size get a 6-3/4 inch speaker the speakers in the liberty are an "oversized 6.5 and they mount up using the same holes as a standard 6.75 inch speaker, i learned this the hard way and had to customized adaptor plates to mount 6.5s

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not going to find aftermarket speakers that are the same impedance as the infinity. So what will happen is they will sound not broken anymore but the amplifier power will be cut in half.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a car audio guy at Best Buy. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

He said the stock stereo does not have an amplifier (hence, the need for an amp at each speaker.) He said I could get an aftermarket stereo with an amp so that I wouldn't have to have an amp at each speaker. This means I wouldn't have to deal with the individual amps; however, he said there might be wiring issues causing the rear speakers to not work.

He also said I can remove the amps from the stock speakers and connect the wires from the amps to aftermarket speakers. The problem with this, he said, is that there's no way to mount the amp onto the aftermarket speaker (in other words, something is has to hold the amp in place.)

I also spoke to the parts counter guy at a local dealership. I gave him the part number on the back of the stock speaker and he said Chrysler only used this part number on '03-'04 Liberties. Where I'm going with this is it's going to be difficult finding someone selling these on eBay (and even if I did find them on eBay, they're going to be several years old.)

Why do things have to be so difficult???

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
He also said I can remove the amps from the stock speakers and connect the wires from the amps to aftermarket speakers. The problem with this, he said, is that there's no way to mount the amp onto the aftermarket speaker (in other words, something is has to hold the amp in place.)

This is what I did this past summer with mine. I noticed no sound quality difference with the aftermarket speakers wired into the factory speaker amps. And as far as how to mount them... someone recommended gray heavy-duty 3M double sided VHB type foam tape. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I've yet to have one of the speakers break loose. That's after a handful of offroad trips, and variable heat this summer. The stuff is great!

My thread from back when I was working on this: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45467

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a car audio guy at Best Buy. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

He said the stock stereo does not have an amplifier (hence, the need for an amp at each speaker.) He said I could get an aftermarket stereo with an amp so that I wouldn't have to have an amp at each speaker. This means I wouldn't have to deal with the individual amps; however, he said there might be wiring issues causing the rear speakers to not work.

I also spoke to the parts counter guy at a local dealership. I gave him the part number on the back of the stock speaker and he said Chrysler only used this part number on '03-'04 Liberties. Where I'm going with this is it's going to be difficult finding someone selling these on eBay (and even if I did find them on eBay, they're going to be several years old.)

Why do things have to be so difficult???

im not saying the guy at best buy doesnt know his shit but he does get commision for selling stuff, so here are some guidelines to keep in mind before you start spending money:
1: no matter what "deal" you get in a store, you can definitely find it online cheaper
2: the stock deck should be ok, you have the premium sound system, only reason i went aftermarket is i already had a deck and i wanted to have an aux port
3: it might be intimidating to think of how to fit everything but set aside some time and dont try to rush through the first try and the other 3 will be easy
4: the individual amps give you the benefit of a "noise filter", (having an amp local to each speaker improves sound clarity
5: most audio installer shops in places like best buy dont take as much care with your vehicle as you do

ill look and see what i can find for you and ill post links for youin a little while

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
component front speaker options (components, replace door speakers and dash tweeters):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?category_id=446&price_min=51&price_max=100

front door speakers (keep stock dash tweeters):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/view...&price_min=51&price_max=100&f_58=287&f_57=194

use whatever you want from the above link for the rears, you said you didnt want to waste money so i narrowed it down by price ranges from 50 to 100 bucks a pair, keep your eyes open sometimes they allow you to make an offer of whatever you want and it can save you some money as well.
hope it helps

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I did this past summer with mine. I noticed no sound quality difference with the aftermarket speakers wired into the factory speaker amps. And as far as how to mount them... someone recommended gray heavy-duty 3M double sided VHB type foam tape. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I've yet to have one of the speakers break loose. That's after a handful of offroad trips, and variable heat this summer. The stuff is great!

My thread from back when I was working on this: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45467

The link you provided to that other thread was helpful. Thanks.

What does VHB stand for? If I go to Lowe's and ask for VHB tape, they may not know what I'm talking about. Do you have a picture of it?

Also, how exactly did you mount the amp to the aftermarket speaker? Do you have pictures? The aftermarket speaker isn't going to have that metal tab:

Last edited:

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
component front speaker options (components, replace door speakers and dash tweeters):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?category_id=446&price_min=51&price_max=100

front door speakers (keep stock dash tweeters):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/view...&price_min=51&price_max=100&f_58=287&f_57=194

use whatever you want from the above link for the rears, you said you didnt want to waste money so i narrowed it down by price ranges from 50 to 100 bucks a pair, keep your eyes open sometimes they allow you to make an offer of whatever you want and it can save you some money as well.
hope it helps

Thank you! One thing I forgot to mention is the factory stereo had a CD player and a cassette player. It also displayed the name of the song playing. Anyhow, the CD player broke and I ended up replacing the entire unit with another factory KJ stereo (but this one doesn't play cassettes nor does it display the name of the song.) The reason I got it instead of an aftermarket is because the forum member that sold it to me gave me a smokin' deal that was too good to pass up. Here's what I've got right now:

Where I'm going with this is will this affect the type of speakers I get? I've taken a look at some of the speakers you recommended and some of them are capable of handling a lot of power. I would rather get some speakers that are "just right" instead of getting some that are capable of handling far more power than I'll need. Also, do tweeters go bad? Should I replace those, too?

Once I get a job again, I'll probably replace everything (but who knows when that will be.)

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I ended up getting the tape from Ebay. Only cost a few bucks for 10 or 15 strips. Just do a search and make sure 3M and VHB is included. I couldn't find it locally.

You wire the OEM amp to the speaker, but you don't attach the amp to the speaker. I used the tape to secure the OEM amp to the inside of the door, and then I attached the aftermarket speaker to the door using screws, just like how the stock speaker was attached.

I didn't take any pictures of the install, sorry.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can can probably get one of the speaker mounting holes to line up with at least one of the amplifier mounting holes or extend the output wire and wire-tie the amp to something in the door... that what I'd do but I'm no expert.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the tape from Ebay. Only cost a few bucks for 10 or 15 strips. Just do a search and make sure 3M and VHB is included. I couldn't find it locally.

You wire the OEM amp to the speaker, but you don't attach the amp to the speaker. I used the tape to secure the OEM amp to the inside of the door, and then I attached the aftermarket speaker to the door using screws, just like how the stock speaker was attached.

I didn't take any pictures of the install, sorry.

OK, now I'm with you. You mounted the amp to the door and then ran wires from the amp to the speaker (which was attached to where it should go.)

P.S. I used to live in Chicago. I've been in Elgin.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! One thing I forgot to mention is the factory stereo had a CD player and a cassette player. It also displayed the name of the song playing. Anyhow, the CD player broke and I ended up replacing the entire unit with another factory KJ stereo (but this one doesn't play cassettes nor does it display the name of the song.) The reason I got it instead of an aftermarket is because the forum member that sold it to me gave me a smokin' deal that was too good to pass up. Here's what I've got right now:

You must be registered for see images

Where I'm going with this is will this affect the type of speakers I get? I've taken a look at some of the speakers you recommended and some of them are capable of handling a lot of power. I would rather get some speakers that are "just right" instead of getting some that are capable of handling far more power than I'll need. Also, do tweeters go bad? Should I replace those, too?

Once I get a job again, I'll probably replace everything (but who knows when that will be.)

my stock dash tweeters started crackling which is what gave me the final push to get components, that and with a good quality tweeter with a nice crossover setup u get great undistorted sound even at full volume with the windows down. the components i have have a built in crossover the only downside was having to run a wire back through the door boot but its way easier than it sounds, and im running off of a pioneer deck and the speakers are ratded for 65 watts rms i believe, maybe higher but not lower. and to aleviate the rear crackling for now i jus have the sound biased to the front speakers. and the upside to goin with a speaker with a higher power rating is that you wont have to worry about killing the speakers from havin the volume maxed out. they were 90 for the pair but like i said they were a major PITA to fit into the stock speaker cut out in the front doors. if u have any other questions feel free to page me or shoot me a PM

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yellowcoyote,
Are they Infinity Refrence 6012i? Since you ended up using the stock amps, why didnt you consider getting components?

Also, with the lack of tweeters, did you notice a big difference in sound quality?
OR did you keep them wired and let the amps continue powering the stock tweeters?

This thing is so easy, but so darn complicated if you don't want the hassle of rewiring or using external amp. I got the external amp, and two channels available, but I just don't feel like running wires from cargo area back to the deck and let patching through.. Oh, so frustrating.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I know pretty much nothing about audio... keep that in mind.

I simply removed the stock door speakers, wired the amps to the aftermarket Infinity Refrence 6012i speakers, stuck the amps to the inside of the doors, and mounted the new speakers to where the old ones were. I didn't swap tweeters, or do any other wiring. I was trying to keep it as simple as possible... and within the realm of my own understanding.

I didn't opt do do anything more because I really couldn't afford to. I wasn't in the market for anything fancy. My old speakers were junk even after refoaming them. I was looking for an inexpensive fix. I bought the aftermarket speakers from another JKJ member for cheap.

To me, the sound quality is the same if not a bit better than the stock speakers.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your tweets, and rears are still functioning properly?
In addition, you should be getting much higher (treble) sound from this setup, since you actually remove woofers and add two-ways with built in tweeters. Since I already have a sub, that's what I am looking for.

I had a chance to listen to SPS600's first hand, they sound pretty good actually, so if anyone is in the market for cheap replacements, check them out $58 shipped for a pair is not bad at all:
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-600-speaker-2-way-coaxial/dp/B0013FMWPC

PS: Home Depot also sells those crazy strong two way silicon/foam tapes.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
So your tweets, and rears are still functioning properly?
In addition, you should be getting much higher (treble) sound from this setup, since you actually remove woofers and add two-ways with built in tweeters. Since I already have a sub, that's what I am looking for.

Yep. All of the other speakers are still working as they were before.

I do get a higher treble with the aftermarket speaker setup, but was able to easily correct it with the equalizer controls on the stock HU. I'm happy with how it sounds vs. money spent.

Members online