My rocky road lift experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I finally got the lift on and have a few hundred miles on it. It drives very nice except for a couple issues.

If I hit a large dip it feels very rigid (almost like bottoming out) but 99% of the time its fine. THAT SETUP WITH THE MOUNTS THEY USE ETC DOES THAT Next issue I have is randomly I will hear a pretty decent pop coming from either side of the front end. COULD BE THE SPRINGS HITTING THE UCA'S
It can happen randomly when I accelerate, turn, hit a bump and so on. I have rechecked everything and all seems to be tight. Could it be a sway bar issue or do you think something is hitting somewhere that I just haven't noticed yet? ALSO CHECK YOUR FRONT SWAY BAR BUSHINGS AND END LINKS
Do I need to look into new sway bar end links or possible extended end links? NO NEED FOR EXTENDED

The place I took it to also said something about the struts rubbing on the inside fender well... COULD BE , DO YOU HAVE A GOOD ALIGNMENT AND AFTERMARKET UCA'S ?
Just heard that yesterday after I had them change out my passenger side cv axel (found out before installing lift it was garbage)

I know you guys don't like the RRO lift but months back after I tried to put it on and failed they refused to take it back so that was the hand I was dealt. Its on and cant really come back off so im hoping for some good advice that will help me and not criticize me for my choice in lifts.

If its not fixable then I guess I will just have to drive it until it falls apart.

Hope it helps or gives you a starting point

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One more thing to look at for that random pop, check out your steering rack bushings.

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
I did purchased new upper control arms from RRO as well. I got the rockfather edition so it came with front coils, UCA, rear shocks, rear springs.

The place I took it to said the sway bars look fine ( I didn't feel like messing with it after the hell I went thru trying to get it on)

I don't really like throwing parts at a vehicle but im sure it wouldn't hurt to change out the links anyways. Do you guys recommend where to buy them before I start my search?
Alignment is good and all within factory specs except caster is a little low.

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
One more thing to look at for that random pop, check out your steering rack bushings.

I have never looked at those on any of my vehicles... how would I go about doing that? Im about ready to go on youtube so im sure that will answer my question. Will be looking at that as well!!! Thank you both for your help!!!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably look at them from the bottom, they are on the frontmost crossmember. This thread has some good pics about what to look for and how to "band-aid" them.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-band-aid-shot-steering-rack-bushing-40247/

Mine would make a pop after backing out of a parking space or driveway after the weight would switch directions.

Check the torque on them too, should be 120 ft/lbs.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I did purchased new upper control arms from RRO as well. I got the rockfather edition so it came with front coils, UCA, rear shocks, rear springs.

The place I took it to said the sway bars look fine ( I didn't feel like messing with it after the hell I went thru trying to get it on)

I don't really like throwing parts at a vehicle but im sure it wouldn't hurt to change out the links anyways. Do you guys recommend where to buy them before I start my search?
Alignment is good and all within factory specs except caster is a little low.

Some people say moog ones, I had 2 sets of those completely disintegrate on me. Ended up getting Masterpro ones from OReillys (Christmas Eve means slim pickins) and they've outlasted the Moog ones easily.

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Another update... I couldn't figure out what the popping was so I took it to a local off road shop (should have gone that route from day one). In about 30 seconds he figured out what my popping was and even showed me.

He simply had me shake the jeep side to side by pushing on the top part of the jeep. Not sure why I never thought of that buy instantly it mimicked the noise. The passenger side sway bar link bushing was causing all the noise. $27 bucks later and 2 new links installed she drives like a dream. I personally like the lift from RRO (I have no experience with any other lifts) but I would hesitate purchasing from them again since the customer service has been nonexistent.

All said and done I know have a 3in lift with 31x10.5 pro comp ATS tires and Window D 15in rims with a 4.75 back spacing. I had to cut some of the front fender well out along with a very small amount of the actual fender to eliminate rubbing. I also had to cut the rear plastic inner fender that sticks out towards the tire. No rubbing anywhere at all if anybody was wondering.

I seriously couldn't have done this lift without some of the help in here for tips and tricks. I simply want to say thank you to all who helped me in this process I probably wasn't qualified to do (but I did successfully get it done)

Thanks again!

Brandon

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear things worked out. When it comes time go OME/JBA and see what you think then lol.

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Well its been awhile but i have some more questions.

TBH i havent ever fixed the fact that my jeep always sagged in the front by quite a bit (i barely drive it anymore). Its now bothering me that it looks like a mad max vehicle driving around. I just did some measurements and its astonishing how bad my jeep tilts to the front. Ride heights below.

Passenger Rear 23inches
Driver Rear 22 3/4inches

Passenger Front 20 3/4 inches
Driver Front 20 1/2 inches

Again this is with the same RRO from the original posting (I know its garbage). It doesnt have a clevis lift and if im reading the other thread properly i could install a 3/8 clevis lift to gain approximately 3/4 of an inch (could i go more then the 3/8 clevis lift)? Now its always sagged since day one and i was wondering if I installed it improperly. Could tightening of the UCA while it was in the air have been a reason it sits low? Any other things i could check that may be keeping it from sitting properly? Im out of my league with why its like this but would like to try and fix it before i throw more cash at new struts and springs. I would even be interested in ideas to bring the back of the jeep down a little bit if i cant get the front up to the height of the rear.

I have tried to add pictures from my phone but it says my pictures are to large for some reason.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

TBH i havent ever fixed the fact that my jeep always sagged in the front by quite a bit (i barely drive it anymore). Its now bothering me that it looks like a mad max vehicle driving around. I just did some measurements and its astonishing how bad my jeep tilts to the front. Ride heights below.

Passenger Rear 23inches
Driver Rear 22 3/4inches

Passenger Front 20 3/4 inches 1.75 INCHES OVER NEW STOCK HEIGHT
driver Front 20 1/2 inches 1.5 INCHES OVER NEW STOCK HEIGHT
Again this is with the same RRO from the original posting (I know its garbage). It doesnt have a clevis lift and if im reading the other thread properly i could install a 3/8 clevis lift to gain approximately 3/4 of an inch (could i go more then the 3/8 clevis lift)? Now its always sagged since day one and i was wondering if I installed it improperly. Could tightening of the UCA while it was in the air have been a reason it sits low? Any other things i could check that may be keeping it from sitting properly? Im out of my league with why its like this but would like to try and fix it before i throw more cash at new struts and springs. I would even be interested in ideas to bring the back of the jeep down a little bit if i cant get the front up to the height of the rear.

I have tried to add pictures from my phone but it says my pictures are to large for some reason.
ADDED SOME ANSWERS ABOVE
Plus you can add 3/8 inch clevis, anymore and you are pulling the bottom of the shock out too much ( out of the clevis )
If you tightened the UCAs with the weight off it would be sitting higher, not lower
You need to install new spring and shocks, get rid of the RRO crap in the front entirley
forget the rear leave it be, the front is where you are having issues

bjohnson3827

Reaction score

Passenger Rear 23inches
Driver Rear 22 3/4inches

Passenger Front 20 3/4 inches
Driver Front 20 1/2 inches

ADDED SOME ANSWERS ABOVE
Plus you can add 3/8 inch clevis, anymore and you are pulling the bottom of the shock out too much ( out of the clevis )
If you tightened the UCAs with the weight off it would be sitting higher, not lower
You need to install new spring and shocks, get rid of the RRO crap in the front entirley
forget the rear leave it be, the front is where you are having issues

I agree on getting rid of the RRO. Need to get permission from the wife first. In the mean time I may just try the clevis lift. Also... I was reading about 2008 to 2011 kk clevis being longer. Might that be a temporary solution until I order the proper struts and springs?

I looked on the JBA website but all I could find were 926 springs and not the whole assembly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
927s are available most anywhere that sells OME

KK clevis' may work, could never figuire out why some run them though
clevis lift is FREE
why spend $$$$$ on KK clevis then ??
Just never saw the reasoning

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
927s are available most anywhere that sells OME

KK clevis' may work, could never figuire out why some run them though
clevis lift is FREE
why spend $$$$$ on KK clevis then ??
Just never saw the reasoning

I agree... I'm assuming I shouldn't do both then lol.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
curious that’s all. I have one with bilstein and one with OME. Didn’t know what the RRO used.
Cost adds up quickly. The struts are like $180 for OME and $200 for bilstein. Which confuses me because I thought the OME was better but(but higher price doesn’t always mean better) one reviews say the opposite.
Springs cost for 927s are $178.
Wondering if your struts are ok maybe try the ARB springs ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
curious that’s all. I have one with bilstein and one with OME. Didn’t know what the RRO used.
Cost adds up quickly. The struts are like $180 for OME and $200 for bilstein. Which confuses me because I thought the OME was better but(but higher price doesn’t always mean better) one reviews say the opposite.
Springs cost for 927s are $178.
Wondering if your struts are ok maybe try the ARB springs ?

NEVER NEVER use old front shocks , no struts on a KJ ) always new springs, new shocks

Using old shocks would be like buying a new pair of shoes and wearing them with worn out holely socks
With RRO they used to have options where you could get OME springs and shocks

OME is a better shock, but Bilstein stands right there with them as far as quality
Have installed both on customers rides, hard to tell the difference
only place I fully recommend OME front shocks is on CRDs with 790 springs

Also ARB does not have springs, their other company OME has the springs

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct "strut" shock/strut potato patato i know i called it the wrong part name. Its like how many people say "clevis" so it rhymes with beavis? or cla veece like its french, or klev-is - tom please clear that one up once and for all who's right on that...
Not recommending OP to use 100k OEM worn shocks but wanted to know what shocks he was currently using and then, maybe if they were of a quality aftermarket brand, pair that with a decent set of springs,, given again there isnt a crap ton of miles on them.
I got box here from ARB that my Old Man Emu springs just arrived in, again, googling either brings you to the same point - it was just what was on the tip of my brain at the moment. Again, Tom you are correct , as inside the ARB box is the Old Man Emu branded box containing the springs...
https://www.arbusa.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/jeepLibertyKJ.pdf

I mentioned here before that in 2017 I installed OME shocks paired with 927s using 1/4" clevis spacer and 1/4" top plate spacer and currently 2019 shes sitting with a rake.
My 2003 i installed everything the same in 2018 but used bilstein and that one is sitting higher in the front and needed an extra isolator for the rear spring to level it out.

Currently Im in a similar spot as OP with the front sagging but unsure of what brand his components are.
I got another set of 927's here but its a bad idea to re use my OME shocks from 2017? if thats the case Tom I also have an extra set of brand new Bilsteins sitting here as well.....

Latest posts

Members online