My liberty is falling apart. Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So while rotating my tires I decided to investigate my recent 1/2" loss in lift at the front.
I had assumed it was just saggy springs, but there is more to it.

I advise anyone with a weak stomach to turn away now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now since I am not a seasoned mechanic I can only assume that is not the way that fork should be connected. When I installed my lift I recall that everything fit together nicely and the lip on the edge of the fork was suppose to fit over something. It just looks wrong and I believe it is the culprit causing the clunk every time I hit a bump.

next problem is...

When I pulled off the passenger rear wheel this is what I found, and I believe this is what was causing the noise I heard in the rear. I have no clue how to refasten this.

Next problem....

UBJ is cut and slowly leaking grease.
:(

Next problem........

This is NOT oil that dripped from changing the oil filter so WTF!

Okay, for those of you who managed to hold it in through all of that I implore you.
I am totally lost on these. I need advice, and ideally, pictures of how the strut fork is suppsoe to look as that is my most damning problem right now.

*weeps*

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BuggyDaJeep is always up for a photo shoot.

You must be registered for see images

Ahh, look at him.

That's deep south clay right there. I'll never get rid of it all. Also, see my new lower ball joints, lol.

That's one angle...

The other angle. Hey, look... it's me! (well, some of me)

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like that fork is fine. The red thing in the rear spring is a bump stop. Typically its only a problem when the suspension is hitting the bottom, but since it's floating around in there, it may be interfering with the spring under normal conditions.

The clunk you hear up front is probably related to the ball joints. Your front differential has a leaky seal.

That wasn't so scary! SHOCKED.gif

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
So it looks like that fork is fine. The red thing in the rear spring is a bump stop. Typically its only a problem when the suspension is hitting the bottom, but since it's floating around in there, it may be interfering with the spring under normal conditions.

The clunk you hear up front is probably related to the ball joints. Your front differential has a leaky seal.

That wasn't so scary! SHOCKED.gif

If you could hear the noises I am hearing you would understand the fear.

I want a 2nd opinion (photo), on the strut fort cause it just does not seem to be right like that.

I already asked the dealer once to look at my UBJs and they swear that nothing is wrong with them. The 2nd look at my driver's cv at the diff was more than enough to convince me that diff fluid was squirtin.

So what the hell am I suppose to do about my UBJs if the dealer wont do anything?! They can't be replaced so I am sure the dealer is avoiding it so they dont have to take out the control arms.

Im freakin out now, they are gonna smack me with the "you lifted it" garbage and not fix anything.

*tying myself a noose so I can jump off the dealers roof and dangle in front of their windows.*

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miah,

Yes, your clevis is not properly installed. There are machined rings that it needs to slide over. Jack it up, take the weight off of it, remove the bolt, attach a tie down to it and the skid plate and tighten. Use a drift or a large phillips screwdrive to ensure alignment, reinsert the bolt and tighten.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are telling you your ball joints are fine are they just saying that or are you taking it in for service and are they printing that on the service report? I would make them write it out given the history of failed ball joints.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil from the front axle is probly just the seal on the diff to the CV axle.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mutt said:
Miah,

Yes, your clevis is not properly installed. There are machined rings that it needs to slide over. Jack it up, take the weight off of it, remove the bolt, attach a tie down to it and the skid plate and tighten. Use a drift or a large phillips screwdrive to ensure alignment, reinsert the bolt and tighten.

Mutt

Not that I am doubting you in any way because I believe you know what you are talking about; since your rig speaks for itself...
but, do you mean to say that Marlon, who has stock everything, also has an improperly aligned fork? (Keeping in mind that his just came back from an LBJ replacement, at the dealer.)

If you could take a snapshot of yours as soon as you get a chance it would help me tremendously since I can't understand where it is wrong. I appologize for my lack of proper automotive repair skills.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cowcatcher said:
If they are telling you your ball joints are fine are they just saying that or are you taking it in for service and are they printing that on the service report? I would make them write it out given the history of failed ball joints.

If they say the same thing tomorrow when I take it in for the second time for those same problems and they say nothing is wrong; I will deffinetly have them put it in writing. I believe they are trying to avoid any repairs for sake of keeping the lease record clean. But that is only my assumption.

nosliw

Reaction score
i was having a nasty clunk and ended up being the front swaybar bushings. went away as soon as i greased them. starting to come back though, so they must go through the stuff quick.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with the dealer.

Upper ball joints are bad (dealer accusation, the lift)- Refused to cover under warranty.

Rear bump stop fell out (dealer accusation, the lift) - Refused to cover under warranty

Response to the leaky diff fluid or whatever it is that is leaking onto it.
QUOTE!
"The is NO FLUID ON THE DIFFERENTIAL, you must have just been mistaken."

$850 to fix the top 2.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that part of the problem probably was related to improper lift installation of maintenance but not the UBJ and certainly not the Diff. leakage although that seems kliminted from the photos and is probably not an issue unless it just started to appear.

What is their explanation of why they told you the UBJ's were fine the first time they checked them?

I think I would be looking for another dealer.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
cowcatcher said:
...improper lift installation of maintenance ...

wtf.gif

Sorry, typed too fast and didn't double check it.

If the lift was installed wrong then I think that the spacer laying in the middle of the coil is not something you should expect them to pay for under warranty. On the other hand there are plenty of Liberty's out there with failing UBJ's that are being repaired under warranty irrespective of tire size or lift and there is currently an FTC investigation regarding whether DC should do a recall on them. I would get a copy of that FTC release and head for another dealer or take it back to this one and start doing lawyer talk with them.

I can't seem tp log on to LOST right now but I think it was under the CRD section someone posted the specifics of the federal law regarding the manufactures obligation to repair faulty parts irrespective of after market additions unless they were able to prove beyond a doubt that the aftermarket product led to the failure. With an impending FTC action on the UBJ's that would be pretty hard for the dealer to prove.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cowcatcher said:
If the lift was installed wrong then I think that the spacer laying in the middle of the coil is not something you should expect them to pay for under warranty.

I dont mean to be repetitive, but heres another.

and this time I will add an; "are you talking about?".

so together that spells

wtf.gif are you talking about?