My jeep is dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so alldata has a TON of diagrams fro reference. these three seem to be a good start for you. if you need anymore just let me know what system you need a diagram for.

circuit breaker
You must be registered for see images attach

power/ground distribution

power door locks

The one circuit breaker shown in the first diagram is for electric powered seats...probably not the issue and the other one is not used.:disgust:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok but where at on the vehicle do I start? As far as to check those switchs, wires and connectors. I have never had electrical issues on a vehicle.

Whatever fuse is blowing...you need to trace down that circuit for a short, fraying wire shorting to ground etc.

For general current draining problems you need to fit a Digital a multimeter in series with the battery...do not start the engine and make sure the multimeter is set to read DC Amps and the meter leads are plugged into the correct slots.

You should get a current drain of about 50 milli amps at the most which is for the clock, alarm system etc. If it is much more than that...say a few amps of draining current....you need to pull fuses out one by one while watching your multimeter to see which circuit is causing the current drain.

Then you need to track that piece of wiring down.:shrug:

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
woke up this morning and i had the same noise and problem of not starting. so i guess no 0600 formation at work for me (Army) and no morning run in 33 degree weather lol. im just going to wait for one of my buddies to come get me then work on it after work lol

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you blow the fuse have you left if blown or out and still had the no start? That might narrow it down.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you blow the fuse have you left if blown or out and still had the no start? That might narrow it down.

Yeah, i would get annoyed with it and just leave it in blown and gone old school with manual locks. Just couldn't open the tailgate though. It did the same thing randomly before and thats when we replaced the battery, but like I said, its been sitting a day or two before each drive and it would do a slow start. Now it woudn't start at all. My wife and me work at the same place so we car pool and switch back and forth between Jeeps.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Is this the setting this should be on? I pulled the trim off the rear tailgate and looked over all the connectors and wires which look good. I have never had to deal with something like this and it hurts by brain. I guess I'm at the point now where I don't understand how to read those diagrams and I don't know where to start on the vehicle to start checking. Also I don't know what the readings I get mean and if they are bad or good.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not that good but that looks right. Easy way to check get a new battery AA AAA C D or9 what ever and read the volts. Place red on positive and black on neg. See if your reading match, the battery.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Is this the setting this should be on? I pulled the trim off the rear tailgate and looked over all the connectors and wires which look good. I have never had to deal with something like this and it hurts by brain. I guess I'm at the point now where I don't understand how to read those diagrams and I don't know where to start on the vehicle to start checking. Also I don't know what the readings I get mean and if they are bad or good.
Got that same DVM in my Jeep.

For normal automotive voltage you are on the correct setting.Ain't electronic testing fun,makes you want to:pp:.They make it so complicated when it does not have to be and they could leave out several pounds of wires and expensive parts that do not need to be there.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well on that setting I had .141. I had the wife leave tips on the positive and negitave battery terminals. I then went through and pulled each fuse and rely one at a time and we got no change. We had the negitive battery cable hooked up and had the positive battery cable off while we did this. Are we kind of on the right track here?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well on that setting I had .141. I had the wife leave tips on the positive and negitave battery terminals. I then went through and pulled each fuse and rely one at a time and we got no change. We had the negitive battery cable hooked up and had the positive battery cable off while we did this. Are we kind of on the right track here?
If your wanting to check amps your on the wrong setting.Need to switch to the middle selection on the red scale(labeled mA) and take the postive lead(red one) and move to the other plug with the "20A" above it,leave the negitive lead(black) in the same plug.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your wanting to check amps your on the wrong setting.Need to switch to the middle selection on the red scale(labeled mA) and take the postive lead(red one) and move to the other plug with the "20A" above it,leave the negitive lead(black) in the same plug.

I get no reading from the battery when I set it up like that. I turned the dome light on and it didn't read anything like that also

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get no reading from the battery when I set it up like that. I turned the dome light on and it didn't read anything like that also
That is because you have to use the DVM as part of the circuit.Remove the negitive battery terminal,hold one lead on the negitive battery terminal,and the other lead on the negitive cable end making the DVM part of the circuit to read amp draw.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting all zeros with that, I even hooked the battery back up and drove it around brought it back to the garage and did the test still couldn't get it to show anything. This is the test I'm wanting to do right? Do show if there is anything drawing on the battery while the vehicle sits right? Why do you think I can't get it to show anything?

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly because nothing is draining the battery. Turn something on like a light and see what happen on your meter. Make sure to select the mA scale and place your red probe on the position on the right of the multimeter. If you can see a small current turn of the light and see what happen, then if zero are shown, your problem is elsewhere.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone think my problem could be interment it? I was gonna take a reading of the battery voltage and then hook everything back up and let the Jeep sit for a little bit and then take another reading to see how much the voltage has dropped. I know that wouldn't really tell me much but still.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be, as it could come from many part. If you want to tripple check the battery, I would go to a hardware store and buy some resistor. 1000 Ohm over 100 Watt would be perfect, then hook the resistor to the negative side of the battery, put your multimeter on DC and put probe on the second leg of the resistor and on the positive of the battery. wait like that for a little and see if the voltage drop. Make sure the resistor don't get to hot, shouldn't happen but who no? If you see the voltage drop by few volt after 1 or 2 minut then battery is probably bad or partof the problem. If not, she is fine.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I left the battery sitting unplugged in the vehicle over night and the voltage has dropped below the specs of a good battery, and it was just BARELY in spec to start with. So for starters I think I'm gonna replace the battery. But for now I'm gonna leave it hooked up over night and see how much it drops..

Would the recent drop in temps (upper 40's to middle 30's) outside piss off a battery that has been sitting in a vehicle outside for 3 days? Its a el cheapo battery that is about a year and 6 months old..by "el cheapo" I'm not dogging on the battery just saying it was the cheapest I could get at the store at the time because we where short on cash.

With all that being said please don't make fun of me too bad:emotions33:

Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I left the battery sitting unplugged in the vehicle over night and the voltage has dropped below the specs of a good battery, and it was just BARELY in spec to start with. So for starters I think I'm gonna replace the battery. But for now I'm gonna leave it hooked up over night and see how much it drops..

Would the recent drop in temps (upper 40's to middle 30's) outside piss off a battery that has been sitting in a vehicle outside for 3 days? Its a el cheapo battery that is about a year and 6 months old..by "el cheapo" I'm not dogging on the battery just saying it was the cheapest I could get at the store at the time because we where short on cash.

With all that being said please don't make fun of me too bad:emotions33:

I won't. Been there.

Latest posts

Members online