My fuel pump went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vomari

Reaction score
Yesterday I went and had what seems to be only a problem during the cold season, a squeaky clutch inspected and nothing was found. No problem. Once the weather heated up it went away.
But check this out. The very next day ( today), I go to start my car for work ( 6:20am) and the engine stops. I crank it back up and get to work, barely making it into the parking lot when my jeep cuts completely off. Every light on the dash came on.
I had to get it towed back to CARMAX :(. I was informed that it was my fuel pump. And get this. Was also told after it was fixed that Jeeps do not like to be low on gas. I was right above the empty mark ( I was going to get gas after work, I swear) and the indicator never came on. I was told that this is a common problem for Jeeps, Wrangles and Cherekee (sp?). So I was advised to keep the gas level above the 3/4 mark just to insure something like this won't happen again. He said it may allow it's owner to do it once, or maybe twice.

Thought I did enough research but I guess that one slipped right by.
Good thing I was still under a 30 day warranty. It's fixed and I'm happy :)

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know that Jeeps are any different than any other brand, but you should never run a FI vehicle low on gas. The in-tank pump is cooled by submersion in fuel. This is especially important in warmer weather.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's more like don't go below a 1/4 of a tank as the fule in your tank keeps the pump cooled and lubed. I belive this is true for all in tank pumps.
I know this has worked on all my rides. My wife had to learn this the hard way lucky for me as the tank was almost empty and easyer to drop.

Midgear

Reaction score
I run mine till the gas light comes on all the time.. I like to see just how FEW miles I get to a tank before the little bastard starts asking for more fuel.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's more like don't go below a 1/4 of a tank as the fule in your tank keeps the pump cooled and lubed. I belive this is true for all in tank pumps.
I know this has worked on all my rides. My wife had to learn this the hard way lucky for me as the tank was almost empty and easyer to drop.

I am with Porkchop on this. I very rarely even let mine get to 1/4 tank. I usually fill up as soon as mine starts to go below 1/2 tank.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going under a 1/4 tank will shorten the fuel pump life.Even though the KJ's fuel filter is a so called "lifetime" filter it is not and should be changed often as a fuel filter that is as little as 15% plugged will increase the fuel pump amp draw by 100% and reduce fuel flow at the injectors by 200% which also kills fuel pumps.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tjkj good point. When you say often to change the filter, is that every couple of years and how hard is that filter to change out?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tjkj good point. When you say often to change the filter, is that every couple of years and how hard is that filter to change out?
I change mine every 30,000 miles,I have to drop the gas tank about 6" to change it,big job with the RL bumper and carriers on(and a 75lbs gas tank skid).Newer KJ's they got rid of the out of tank filter and it is now on the pump itself,you still can service it but it is alot harder since the tank must be dropped and pump removed.

Oh and the "lifetime" filters are really only designed for 100,000miles,the expected "lifetime" the average owner may keep the vehicle.

Be lucky you don't own a prius,if the pump or filter goes bad you must replace the whole gas tank since it is a 100% sealed unit with the pump and filter inside.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just glad I don't own anything with Toyota on it. (LOL)
Ya I got factory skids and I think it would also have to get dropped to access the back where that filter is. Sounds like a bit of work!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i usually treat 1/4 as E, but once on my sisters KJ we were stuck in traffic on the way home from a road trip and we didn't even realize how low it was until the light chimed on... Well we got about 4 miles in stop and go traffic then about 3-4 more after passing the jam until the next exit then another mile or two until the gas station.
I was getting real worried i was going to have to do some walking... but it never even felt any different or cut out, but every car or jeep for the matter could treat it different.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i usually treat 1/4 as E, but once on my sisters KJ we were stuck in traffic on the way home from a road trip and we didn't even realize how low it was until the light chimed on... Well we got about 4 miles in stop and go traffic then about 3-4 more after passing the jam until the next exit then another mile or two until the gas station.
I was getting real worried i was going to have to do some walking... but it never even felt any different or cut out, but every car or jeep for the matter could treat it different.
That is why the low fuel light comes on when you still have 2-3 gallons of gas left,trying to keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why the low fuel light comes on when you still have 2-3 gallons of gas left,trying to keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel.

Which I've never fully understood... I have never... ever.. EVER been able to squeeze (and when I say squeeze, I mean squeeze) more than about 16.5 gallons into my tank. I can drive around, my fuel light will come on, and in a few cases I've driven quite a few miles AFTER the fuel light came on due to bad timing, almost to the point where I was sweating bullets thinking I was gonna run out of gas, and the most I've ever gotten into my tank is 16.5 gallons. Meaning that well after the fuel light went on and the needle had actually slipped almost below the E mark, I still had 3 gallons in the tank.

If I fill up right when the fuel light comes on, I usually can only get about 14.7 - 15.5 gallons in.

Anyone else notice this?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which I've never fully understood... I have never... ever.. EVER been able to squeeze (and when I say squeeze, I mean squeeze) more than about 16.5 gallons into my tank. I can drive around, my fuel light will come on, and in a few cases I've driven quite a few miles AFTER the fuel light came on due to bad timing, almost to the point where I was sweating bullets thinking I was gonna run out of gas, and the most I've ever gotten into my tank is 16.5 gallons. Meaning that well after the fuel light went on and the needle had actually slipped almost below the E mark, I still had 3 gallons in the tank.

If I fill up right when the fuel light comes on, I usually can only get about 14.7 - 15.5 gallons in.

Anyone else notice this?
Yeah it's like that for a reason like I stated.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's like that for a reason like I stated.

But you stated when the fuel light goes on, you have 2-3 gallons left. I calculate more like 4 gallons left. If I'm correct, I believe the manual states what you state, but my experience suggests otherwise. I mean, I understand, 1-2 gallons isn't a big difference, but I seem to remember other people mentioning that no matter how long they ran after the fuel light, they never were able to squeeze more than around 16 gallons into the tank.

EDIT: Next time my fuel light goes on, and I'm right next to a station, I'll pull in and fill up (and I never top off, by the way) and see how many gallons go in.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you stated when the fuel light goes on, you have 2-3 gallons left. I calculate more like 4 gallons left. If I'm correct, I believe the manual states what you state, but my experience suggests otherwise. I mean, I understand, 1-2 gallons isn't a big difference, but I seem to remember other people mentioning that no matter how long they ran after the fuel light, they never were able to squeeze more than around 16 gallons into the tank.
I never stated how much gas would be left,only stated that there will be a good amount of fuel left to help keep the pump cooled.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never stated how much gas would be left,only stated that there will be a good amount of fuel left to help keep the pump cooled.

(dunno) Ok, sorry, I was responding to this:

tjkj2002 said:

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I've just noticed that no matter how dangerously low I get, I've never been at or near the 19.5 gallon on the refill, even though once or twice I've driven a considerable distance after the fuel light came on. Someone on this board once suggested there was a 'reserve' or something. I've just always been perplexed, realizing that when I thought I was sure to cough and die in the street, it turned out that I could have driven to the next town and still had gas.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

EDIT: Next time my fuel light goes on, and I'm right next to a station, I'll pull in and fill up (and I never top off, by the way) and see how many gallons go in.
I couldn't tell you how much gas would be left,it can vary from year to year since different years us different sized tanks.My fuel level never goes below half,actually rarely goes under 3/4 full so I couldn't tell you.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(dunno) Ok, sorry, I was responding to this:

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I've just noticed that no matter how dangerously low I get, I've never been at or near the 19.5 gallon on the refill, even though once or twice I've driven a considerable distance after the fuel light came on. Someone on this board once suggested there was a 'reserve' or something. I've just always been perplexed, realizing that when I thought I was sure to cough and die in the street, it turned out that I could have driven to the next town and still had gas.
That was just a # thrown out there,can vary from year to year and vehicle to vehicle.That is just what the industry norm is,which is always just a random #.