My Free 05 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

projectkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi my name is michael, i am from Toronto Region , Ontario, Canada. 33years old with wife and 2 kids (3 & 9Months)
picked up my free 2005 Liberty from my neighbour, it broke down and she was going to send it to scrap (i have been working on it under her dime for the last few months), new breaks all around, new ebrakes, new cam and crank sensor.. daughter did not respect it... motor has 360,000km on it.... i am currently putting a new motor in it. lifted 2.5" spacers from daystar, removed/fell off front bumper cover (so it stays off).....

You must be registered for see images

i was drining the oil and my jacket caught the bumper cover and ripped it right off, apparently only 1 bolt and one push platic tab was holding it on, last owner F'd up from front bumper. so i put in LED turn signals , and led side markers (not yet install side markers , right into the fender flares)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Michael. There are other members on here in Canada too.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome
Looks to be in pretty good condition overall
Too bad you didn't get here before the daystar lift was installed though

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 2005 model myself I like this one I also have a 2003 model and the O5 has different stuff I am building my own Bumpers for the front and rear for both the 2005 and the 2003 because I just want something with more strength and I want to have recovery winches as well my bumper will be similar to the one on the link I shared below when I am finished with it.

PICT2339.jpg Photo by blackkj | Photobucket

I basically bought a Steel Winch Bumper for an 2006 Wrangler on Ebay for $280 and I am Modifying it with custom brackets to mount it on my Liberty. So far it looks bad ass but I have a few more welds to do and then I need to wire in new turn signals but it will be much better than the stock one.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 2005 model myself I like this one I also have a 2003 model and the O5 has different stuff I am building my own Bumpers for the front and rear for both the 2005 and the 2003 because I just want something with more strength and I want to have recovery winches as well my bumper will be similar to the one on the link I shared below when I am finished with it.

I basically bought a Steel Winch Bumper for an 2006 Wrangler on Ebay for $280 and I am Modifying it with custom brackets to mount it on my Liberty. So far it looks bad ass but I have a few more welds to do and then I need to wire in new turn signals but it will be much better than the stock one.

That's Chris' KJ - he and TomMudd are good friends. Notice the pics of Tom's KJ from a few years ago - before it's current state. Tom's never done with his Libby :happy175:

Bob

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's Chris' KJ - he and TomMudd are good friends. Notice the pics of Tom's KJ from a few years ago - before it's current state. Tom's never done with his Libby :happy175:

Bob

I love the style of the bumpers they make the jeep look so much better thanks for that info I been staring at the pic since I found it on Google search day dreaming about getting the bumpers for my KJ lol soon though I'll be posting my progress on here

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Nothing but bad thoughts when looking at that bumper, Chris took months to get it, only a very few were done . Looks good in pictures for sure but...........Good luck on modifying a TJ for a KJ bumper, a few have tried but never with much success

projectkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any thuoghts on removing the engine with out removing the trans and transfercase....
my exhaust downpipe bolts are rusted and cant be removed..... to tight to cut out with anything, i have pulled alot of motors, and this is beign a little *****...

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you decided to keep it, would like to see how removing goes.

projectkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to disconnect the engine from trans. (becuase the downpipes where still connected the motor would not come undone from the trans)

i had to remove the transmission cross memeber, which there are 3 bolts on either side, 1 large and 2 small (on the passanger side 2 of the small bolts snapped)

i used ratchet straps to hold up the trans and transfercase, so i could move everything forward about 8-10", i had to use a grinder with cutoff wheel to cut all the bolts on the down pipes.. there was no room to menouver while the grinder was on, so i have to position the cutoff wheel near the bolt, and have a friend plug the power in (leave the power on all times)....

what a mess....

new motor is on the engine hoist, old motor stapped to the floor...

new motor back in, out in 2 days, back in 1..... now to get eveything hooked up..
had to order new transmision cooler lines, one was rotten right though....

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
free isn't always free.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
free isn't always free.

:happy175:
Thats what I was going to say, been given quite a number of cars etc over the years and none ended up free by the time it was done.
I did make money on them all though.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
free isn't always free.

That's true. But then some people pay good money for a running vehicle, only to have something unforeseen (or undisclosed) cause the engine to take a crap shortly after. At least this guy knew what he was getting into.

projectkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey the car itself was free. she had even paid me to do all the breaks...
i just wanted less km on the motor....

its been a pain in my ass, and a joy all at the same time.... the tracker that its parked next to is a ongoing 4year project rightnow... 1 year of body work, 2 years of motor work, 1 year of suspension.... this was a way for me to get a bit muddy while im building the tracker...

projectkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
free is never free....
but free and handy is always a great project
although i knew what i was potentially getting into. i didnt want to sink more money into a motor with almost 400,000km.... so i did the next best thign, buy a motor with 80,000km..

if it wasnt for broken exhaust down pipe bolts this would be running already..
that and a 3year old daughter, and a 9 month old son....

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
free is never free....
but free and handy is always a great project
although i knew what i was potentially getting into. i didnt want to sink more money into a motor with almost 400,000km.... so i did the next best thign, buy a motor with 80,000km..

if it wasnt for broken exhaust down pipe bolts this would be running already..
that and a 3year old daughter, and a 9 month old son....

Nice work!

I'm trying to picture the exhaust bolts you're talking about. Maybe the '05s have a completely different exhaust setup from my '03 - on mine the downpipes/catalytic converters bolt to a Y-pipe with a couple of bolts which can be cut off or broken off by just attempting to unscrew them. The '05 catalytic converter is separate from the Y-pipe, isn't it? In other words, aren't there bolts holding the Y-pipe to the cats?

In any case, glad you got the new engine in and she's almost ready to roll. I'll warn you though... Once you start driving the Liberty you'll want to do all kinds of fun stuff to it, most of which costs money. So the 'free' Jeep can get 'spensive pretty quick (but dang is it fun!)

EDIT: Just looked up the '05 exhausts system. Looks like the cats are welded to the Y-pipe - which would make the removal of the cats/downpipes a major PIA...

Bob

Last edited: