My driver side seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have been busy with getting my new ride's major projects done I have been putting off something thats been broken from day one, my seat on the driver side. The recline is broken and the side cover needs replacing and the switch is just hanging there. Looking for a set of relpacement seats seems to be going nowhere. I also see now that the broken recliner is not that unusual. So now it looks like 2 options. Fixing what I have or going with aftermarket seats like Corbeau. The Corbeau option although not crazy expensive.. costs enough to really think it through. I can't find anyone that has intalled thier seats in a Liberty. They have mounts but dealing with seatbelts concerns me plus just how good are thier seats. Fixing the seats looks like its doable and I see where you can get that recline mechanism. The side cover is not available from Jeep anymore but I may can get mine to work. I have no problems tearing into suspension and changing axles but I really have no clue when it comes to repairing seats.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the guys here in Ohio installed them in his about 5 years ago. I helped him install was fairly straight forward.

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have been busy with getting my new ride's major projects done I have been putting off something thats been broken from day one, my seat on the driver side. The recline is broken and the side cover needs replacing and the switch is just hanging there. Looking for a set of relpacement seats seems to be going nowhere. I also see now that the broken recliner is not that unusual. So now it looks like 2 options. Fixing what I have or going with aftermarket seats like Corbeau. The Corbeau option although not crazy expensive.. costs enough to really think it through. I can't find anyone that has intalled thier seats in a Liberty. They have mounts but dealing with seatbelts concerns me plus just how good are thier seats. Fixing the seats looks like its doable and I see where you can get that recline mechanism. The side cover is not available from Jeep anymore but I may can get mine to work. I have no problems tearing into suspension and changing axles but I really have no clue when it comes to repairing seats.

I just installed a Baja RS with Corbeau rails a few months ago in my '02. Works fine and it's stupidly easy - you just need the right sockets. Probably the only 'hiccup' was the little electrical box attached to the seat belt retainer, once I realized it wasn't airbag related and I could just zip tie it up, no problems at all.

The only negative is it's a tight fit. Not enough to cause major issues, but as an example, it puts enough friction on the seat belt along the pillar to make you have to sorta jiggle the bolsters sometimes to 'unstick' the belt to get it to retract past. If you don't care (or would use a 5 point) then it's good. Also, the recline lever works fine (no binding), however the trim piece does push in slightly from the pillar, but it's purely (minor) cosmetic.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Baja RS with Corbeau rails a few months ago in my '02. Works fine and it's stupidly easy - you just need the right sockets. Probably the only 'hiccup' was the little electrical box attached to the seat belt retainer, once I realized it wasn't airbag related and I could just zip tie it up, no problems at all.

The only negative is it's a tight fit. Not enough to cause major issues, but as an example, it puts enough friction on the seat belt along the pillar to make you have to sorta jiggle the bolsters sometimes to 'unstick' the belt to get it to retract past. If you don't care (or would use a 5 point) then it's good. Also, the recline lever works fine (no binding), however the trim piece does push in slightly from the pillar, but it's purely (minor) cosmetic.

So its tight at the pillar. The back does look wider than the stock seat.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a recliner mechanism on e-bay and a new switch also. Installing the recliner was not that bad. I did have to undo the cover on the back and pull it and the cushion up some to get to one of the bolts. The switch fastens to the side cover and I made all of that work. The cover has studs that hold the switch and they were broken off. I came up with a rig using the old cover and the broken studs that is working and will not go anywhere but I wish I could find a new cover. According to my local Jeep dealer they are no longer available. But for now my seat is fully functional and working. I'm going to get an estimate to get the fronts reupholstered.

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you have any pics of the finished product?