my 04 kj likes to kill coil packs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like i have to replace at least 1 every year or so which seems far too often and its never the same one. anybody else had this problem? im running copper spark plugs but ive had this same problem using iridium.

luckily coil packs are super easy to replace and cheap but still $30 a pop adds up after a while.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like i have to replace at least 1 every year or so which seems far too often and its never the same one. anybody else had this problem? im running copper spark plugs but ive had this same problem using iridium.

luckily coil packs are super easy to replace and cheap but still $30 a pop adds up after a while.
Well don't want to be the @ss but replace them all at once then you'll not have to change any for six years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are old I would replace them all. If the ones that failed are not very old I would also investigate into why they are failing (ie. Too much resistance ect.). When I bought my KJ and replaced the coil packs they were $70CDN/Pack so it was not fun to replace. Now they have brought them down to $40 as everyone was complaining about the price. After replacing them I had one fail but was replaced under warranty. You should only run copper plugs with the KJ.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are old I would replace them all. If the ones that failed are not very old I would also investigate into why they are failing (ie. Too much resistance ect.). When I bought my KJ and replaced the coil packs they were $70CDN/Pack so it was not fun to replace. Now they have brought them down to $40 as everyone was complaining about the price. After replacing them I had one fail but was replaced under warranty. You should only run copper plugs with the KJ.

thats my whole reason for posting, to see if anyone else has had this problem before and can shed some light on the situation.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they dont last six years...

I replaced all 6 of mine with OEM coils a few years ago just because(mainly needed known good test coils for work) and they were 9 years old with no signs of failing.

The OEM coils will always outlast those cheap aftermarket coils.I bought my OEM coils for $28 each which at the time $20 cheaper per coil then aftermarket.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use OEM coils only as stated since they seem to work best. My 05 still has the factory coil paks in it with no problems. (plugs have been changed a few times .....OEM copper core only).

Dave

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they dont last six years...

What he meant was, if you are replacing them one per year.. and never the same one.. it would take 6 years until all have been replaced. THUS, if you replaced all at the same time, and the replacements are not the ones that have been failing, you should get at least 6 years out of them before the cycle would have to repeat...

He was being fectious in a way... but his logic is sound.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess ill try out oem next time. i figured borg warner would be a good brand to go with but it doesnt seem that way.