Mushy Feel. Need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so with 287k miles this jeep it is still going strong. I have replaced lower control arms and getting ready to replace the rear upper and tie rod ends. The steering still feels mushy and I can tell it is the springs and shocks. I measured the suspension and I am 18.50" Inches all the way around so not too bad on sag I don't think. I would like for the steering and feel to be tighter and I also want to be able to run a wider tire and don't really care soo much about a taller tire at this moment as I am not doing any serious trail riding with it. (Yet).

OME Springs Front and Rear: (Thoughts)
Shocks all the way around: Rancho?

Will probably do the JBA Uppers Once I have some miles on this and know that she is strong.

Rsb563

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out the Rack and pinion. Just replaced mind and it's a lot tighter. Mine did have a small leak though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so with 287k miles this jeep it is still going strong. I have replaced lower control arms and getting ready to replace the rear upper and tie rod ends. The steering still feels mushy and I can tell it is the springs and shocks. I measured the suspension and I am 18.50" Inches all the way around so not too bad on sag I don't think. I would like for the steering and feel to be tighter and I also want to be able to run a wider tire and don't really care soo much about a taller tire at this moment as I am not doing any serious trail riding with it. (Yet).

OME Springs Front and Rear: (Thoughts)
Shocks all the way around: Rancho?

Will probably do the JBA Uppers Once I have some miles on this and know that she is strong.

Without going to the JBA adjustable coilovers the OME927/948 combo is the best way to go. Rancho shocks , BIG no. They used to have a great shock in the RSX line but they did away with them. OME or Bilstein shocks are the best way to go. PLUS doesn't matter if you are going off road or never going , a great ride and better handling is always good.
The suspension on my 2004 felt mushy with only 150 miles on it, by the time it had 20,000 couldn't stand to drive it any longer. My 03 had 78,000 when I bought it a year ago, and was so bad I hated driving it but knew I would have the JBA coilover lift soon!

Out of all of the lifts we have done here 98% have been OME springs and either the OME or Bilstein shocks other two per cent have been JBA adjustable coilovers ( the best there is IMO)

Last edited:

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom that is what I am looking for. I love coilovers but the price is the pain point lol. I am having to put tires all the way around on it and I am trying to keep the costs down as I would like to put some miles on this engine and make sure that it is ok.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We just installed profdlp's OME Bilstein lift a couple of weeks ago, you can ask him about the difference it made ( OME 927/948 with Bilsteins )

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
287,000 miles? Go down to the local Jeep dealer late at night and steal the spares off of four different Jeeps*, then take the money you saved on tires and upgrade the suspension.

*Someone actually did this around here recently. Do five Jeeps if you want a full-size spare. Do ten if you have room to haul them all and give five to me, I'll PM you with size requirements**.

**I am not advocating theft, and if you get caught you are on your own and I never heard of you. But seriously, do the shocks and springs. I was a poor college student on a very fixed income. I wanted to do mine three years ago but knew it would have meant even more Ramen and peanut butter had I spent the money then. In hindsight, I wish I had gone ahead and done it anyway.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a college student now and just installed my lift about 10 months ago and it made a word of difference for my jeep. The lift was worth every penny!

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roflmao. Actually I just purchased 5 new Wrangler wheels with tires for 100.00. 900 miles on them before he upgraded and just wanted them out. Wheels are of no use unless I run spacer but now I have new tires cheap.

287,000 miles? Go down to the local Jeep dealer late at night and steal the spares off of four different Jeeps*, then take the money you saved on tires and upgrade the suspension.

*Someone actually did this around here recently. Do five Jeeps if you want a full-size spare. Do ten if you have room to haul them all and give five to me, I'll PM you with size requirements**.

**I am not advocating theft, and if you get caught you are on your own and I never heard of you. But seriously, do the shocks and springs. I was a poor college student on a very fixed income. I wanted to do mine three years ago but knew it would have meant even more Ramen and peanut butter had I spent the money then. In hindsight, I wish I had gone ahead and done it anyway.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
roflmao. Actually I just purchased 5 new Wrangler wheels with tires for 100.00. 900 miles on them before he upgraded and just wanted them out. Wheels are of no use unless I run spacer but now I have new tires cheap.

What kind are they?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better suspension should have come on the Liberty from the factory... they put a cheap but functional spring/strut/shock on the truck and shipped them out. Honestly, I think if they had kept the ride height of the '02 but improved the quality of the absorbers and springs, we wouldn't be complaining so badly about the atrocious suspension on this Jeep.

Probably still do an OME lift though. :p

The OME lift (either struts or coilovers) is probably the single best improvement/modification that can be done to a KJ/KK.

Last edited:

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind are they?

Tom they are goodyears 225/70/16's. They came off of a 2016 Wrangler so I will need to get the tires pulled off the wheels and mounted on mine. 900 miles on the 4 tires plus a new spare. These should work just fine until I can upgrade the suspension and figure out a wheel/tire combo I like.

I really would love to see a set of Mickey Thompsons on a KJ. Anyone got pics?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom they are goodyears 225/70/16's. They came off of a 2016 Wrangler so I will need to get the tires pulled off the wheels and mounted on mine. 900 miles on the 4 tires plus a new spare. These should work just fine until I can upgrade the suspension and figure out a wheel/tire combo I like.

I really would love to see a set of Mickey Thompsons on a KJ. Anyone got pics?

If they are the stock tires that came on it, well they are not the best
What else besides Goodyear does it say on them??
PLUS if they are 225-70-16s they are too small ( size smaller that recommended ) 235-70-16s is what came new on some KJs

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are the stock tires that came on it, well they are not the best
What else besides Goodyear does it say on them??
PLUS if they are 225-70-16s they are too small ( size smaller that recommended ) 235-70-16s is what came new on some KJs

Just really care about inspection. They are the same height size wise so they should be fine. I believe they are Wrangler ST's and I was incorrect on size 225/75/16. These tires will only be needed for a couple of months to get this through Inspection and I can figure out suspension and then wheels and tires that I want for the project.

Latest posts

Members online