Murphys law just bit me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I re-read the email again and it did say 104-155. I must have read it as 140-155 the first time he sent it. Damn!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn is right, I was kind of hoping you dyslexic-ized the 104 and really meant 140. Is the engine running badly/rough, or just throwing codes?

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn is right, I was kind of hoping you dyslexic-ized the 104 and really meant 140. Is the engine running badly/rough, or just throwing codes?

I'm just going by what I was told because I did not drive it myself . The shop finished all suspension work and drove it to their alignment guy down the road. He called them back and told them it was done but was running really bad. That's when the shop found the codes and thought it was a simple bad coil. It only ran a little rough prior to this on cold mornings at idle. After it warmed up no issues. I have one of those OBD II readers you use with your iPhone and I routinely check codes at least once a week and never saw anything.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just going by what I was told because I did not drive it myself . The shop finished all suspension work and drove it to their alignment guy down the road. He called them back and told them it was done but was running really bad. That's when the shop found the codes and thought it was a simple bad coil. It only ran a little rough prior to this on cold mornings at idle. After it warmed up no issues. I have one of those OBD II readers you use with your iPhone and I routinely check codes at least once a week and never saw anything.

Have either that shop, or another competent one give that low reading cylinder a leakdown test. For your own sake, you'd want to get the compression test results for all 6 cylinders from them, to see if there are more than just that one weak one. The rest could be as high as the 155 and the 104 is the only low one, or they could be all over the place. All over the spectrum could suggest more on the side of semi-normal engine wear (still concerned about the low one), but only one cylinder being considerably lower than the rest means something serious going on in that one.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the shop installed the suspension .. and it ran fine to the alignment shop .. me thinks the alignment shop did something to it to make it kick .. .and now its either gonna cost 4 grand to diagnose it at the dealer or take it back to that shop to get a 300 dollar part you dont need and for them to undo what they did... i sure hope this isnt the case.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the shop installed the suspension .. and it ran fine to the alignment shop .. me thinks the alignment shop did something to it to make it kick .. .and now its either gonna cost 4 grand to diagnose it at the dealer or take it back to that shop to get a 300 dollar part you dont need and for them to undo what they did... i sure hope this isn't the case.

At this point I'm stuck. Going to wait for the dealer to diagnose. I found a great YouTube video that explains the code pretty well. Start at 1:57 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_UeSSJd8g

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope it ends up being something simple. You've been very patient and deserve a break. :)

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it ends up being something simple. You've been very patient and deserve a break. :)

Thanks, I am patient but its wearing out. The worst part was seeing all the goodies installed, tires and wheels looked awesome, but I cant drive it. Oh, and now I'll be going to the Jeep festival riding in the back of a Wrangler instead of driving my KJ - insult to injury lol!

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have caught a break. I called the shop back and he transposed the numbers. compression test was 140-150 for all cylinders NOT 104 -150.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats good news at least
Funny it was running OK before and then after them working on it there is an issue.
I'll bet they find something really simple
Much like I did recently when a clip partially broke on one of the coilpacks , hunted everywhere for a miss on Cylinder 2. Ended up connector seemed like it clicked on, but what it was doing was clicking partially and then after a little while backed off just enough to cause a slight miss. :thumbsdown::shrug::icon_lol:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i told him to check that cuz of what you had told me about the stupid clip .

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh you're golden, those are good numbers. Not quite time to go out and celebrate though, till you find the reason for the engine running crappy.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. I wish I could have drove it home and did some of my own troubleshooting before going to the dealer but was advised against driving it the 50+ miles. It wont be able to be looked at for a few days so I'll post an update whenever I have one.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stealership told me after "exhaustive troubleshooting" it was a bad PCM:icon_frown:
Picking it up later today. I think I'll take the back roads home and stay off the highway until I'm sure all is good to go.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stealership told me after "exhaustive troubleshooting" it was a bad PCM:icon_frown:
Picking it up later today. I think I'll take the back roads home and stay off the highway until I'm sure all is good to go.

Wow - I don't like the "exhaustive" description...

At dealership shop rates three hours can be close to $400 just for the diagnostics - then the cost + markup for the PCM on top of it.

Hopefully that's the fix and you can finally enjoy your new KJ :party52:

Bob

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked it up and it runs great. I drove it 30 miles on the highway and about 15 on back roads. However, my new JBA lift is squeaking something awful in the rear when I go over the speed bumps at work. Hopefully its just because its new and needs to be broken in.

At this point, it running great, rides awesome, and I need a break before I start looking for more problems to solve!

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked it up and it runs great. I drove it 30 miles on the highway and about 15 on back roads. However, my new JBA lift is squeaking something awful in the rear when I go over the speed bumps at work. Hopefully its just because its new and needs to be broken in.

At this point, it running great, rides awesome, and I need a break before I start looking for more problems to solve!

I just remembered that new MOOG rear LCA's were installed. I'll lube them bushings tonight and see if that helps.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just remembered that new MOOG rear LCA's were installed. I'll lube them bushings tonight and see if that helps.

Loosen the bolts then retighten with full weight on, they more than likely installed them with the tires hanging down

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.