Much adu about brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the pads I got from work (Pepboys) are starting to squeel like hell while cold but the squeeling will go away once they heat up. I got the Platinum pads which are the mid-grade ones. They still stop fine but I want to replace them as I can't stand the squeeling and since I need to replace the rotors I might as well do the pads along with them.

So my question to all of you are what pads and rotors do you all run? I know a lot of you run Napa Adaptive Ones and their rotors but I want to do something different. I know there are the Black magic pads as well but spending $240 something for just front pads and rotors is not my cup of tea, especially since I would need different pads since they don't make rear ones.

So what else is out there besides Napa Adaptives and Black Magic?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance auto parts wearever are good. No complaints from my wife and coupon codes make them really cheap. Lifetime warranty.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm running Centric rotors and EBC Green stuff pads. I want to say it was around $180 per axle. Got about 1700 miles on them, like them a lot.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
For the front I went OEM rotors and Mopar ceramic up front very nice!
Very low dust and good stopping power no noise what so ever.
50296[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

For rear I am running Napa Ultra Prem Rotors and adaptive one pads/ and new Napa Ebrake shoes as well.
Wagner is another brake option as well as Raybestos.
Just make sure your calipers are not sticking...pistons working/sliding well, no leaks.

Attachments

• JeepOEMCeramicBrakePads.jpg
    JeepOEMCeramicBrakePads.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running Centric rotors and EBC Green stuff pads. I want to say it was around $180 per axle. Got about 1700 miles on them, like them a lot.

Where did u buy those centric rotors from HJ & price fore 2 rotors:?
They look interesting.. are they slotted or basic?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors all around, Ultra Premium Semi-metallic pads up front and Adaptive One Ceramics in the back. Thing stops on a dime, is smooth, and quite as hell!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a set of EBC green stuff pads that were great. Great stopping and no noise. Not much dust either. When they finally went I put a set of very good Raybestos on. They stop great but squeal quite a bit when they warm up. Rotor are Napa whatever their high end ones are called these days. I tried the drilled and slotted EBC rotors. They lasted about 3 months then it was like sitting in one of those vibrating massage chairs every time I stopped. Pads lived on rotors were toast. Followed the proper break-in protocol but still no go. Still have them sitting in the garage. May try to turn them once. The guy who resurfaced my heads said they could turn drilled and slotted rotors too.

I've had great luck with Akebono pads on other vehicles too. I've got drums in the rear so not relevant to you.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads and Bendix rotors, front and rear. No squealing, great stopping power.

I got them from my local parts house, but rockauto has them, too.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put those Power Stop ceramics on my Avenger. Front and rear. Excellent stopping and silent. Still have the original rotors on that one. If I don't go back to the EBC I'll likely go with those for the KJ when the squealing Rays annoy me enough.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Where did u buy those centric rotors from HJ & price fore 2 rotors:?
They look interesting.. are they slotted or basic?

Got everything from autoanything.com

Basic...after reading (mainly on here:gr_grin:) about slotted rotors I decided that it's kind of marketing tactic...no performance benefit at this level and they warp sooner.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellll I had Hawk on mine for several years, but decided this year to go for it.

I know you did not want to go for Blacks - but this is my take. Black up front, Black's rear pads also plus their rotors.

Was it as good as everyone raves about. Maybe, maybe not, Hawk up front were great, not as good cold stop as Black.

I have not had this in the mountains for a loooong decent, but cold the Blacks are better.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Now I've got plenty of options to looks through!

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've heard the EBC's eat rotors up like it's their job but put out some pretty good performance

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put EBC green on my sport and they squealed for about half their life. I didn't notice that they wore the discs down quicker, but that's not to say they didn't.
When I put them all round on my Ltd, they didn't squeak at all, even got rid of the squeal from the rear when in reverse which was common with the OEM setup.
The sport currently has NAPA Ultra Premium semi-metallics.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be going with the Akebono ACT pads and I'm still trying to decide on rotors, Napa Ultra Premiums, Centric Premiums, or Raybestos AT

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the powerstop pads and rotors. Paid about $150 for front and rear off eBay.
You must be registered for see images attach

They are wearing pretty good, and have alot more stopping power than what was on it before.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads on all four corners. Quiet, very low dust, and good stopping cold or hot. No rotor warpage either. I've had them on for a year or so. Wearing them faster now that I'm pulling my trailer, but I'll be adding my brake controller soon.