MPG with lift kit installed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting about 14 MPG with my lift kit and 31's on. what is everyone else getting out there? I feel like I should be doing much better than that.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I probably get that maybe 1 or 2 mpg, but I do a lot of short block commuter hopping around the city. Out on the highway I get good mileage there.:p

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i probably avg 45 mph. its not stop and go or anything like that. but it would NOT be considered highway driving.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yo jeepster. On a side note....how do u like those geolander ATs? I bought the HT's for my fiance's laredo and love them. I was thinking about putting the ATs on once i run down the TOYO open country ATs.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'll let you know sometime next week.
Until then, we get about 15-18 mpg city and anythere from 21-25 Freeway.
If I do the posted speed limit, maybe 10 mph over.
But, I'll be honset with you, until I re-gear this winter, I don't really care what I get.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to get 17/18 city, after ome/rancho with 245/75 load e on stock steel wheel I get 13/14 I was freaked out, I've been talking to guys at work about regearing to 4.10 and they say it would be even worst so I don't know, I haven't ride it long enough in the highway to estimate the highway milles per gallon

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With stock sized tires and stock gearing I got 18 city/23 highway,with lift and 265/75R16's with stock gearing(3.73's) I got 6-8 city/12-14 highway.Now with lift/265/75R16's with 4.10's I get 10-13 city and 21-22 highway and my KJ was sitting at 5500lbs(1500lbs over stock).

Gearing correctly will gain back some mpg's and lost low end power,unless you gear to deeply you will not loose mpg's(like putting 4.88's with 31" tires is to low,very fun but to low).

dutch kj

Reaction score
I lives in zaandam,next to amsterdam.
Into the flat land,without any legaal off road places. :mad:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the lift will have a negligible impact on your gas mileage. The direct impact to your mileage will be the tire size. You can argue about different drag quotient with a lifted vehicle, but trust me, you'd be talking about fractions of a percent with a 1 - 2" lift. Believe it or not, you might see an improvement after installing skid plates.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my original question for posting this thread was for a bizarre reason:

Since the day i owned the jeep (2 years ago) my overhead MPG and "miles to empty" always read about 18.0 avg or so and 330 miles to empty (when full). the other day i filled up and it read 220 miles to empty. Now my MPG read out is between 12.5-14.0 depending on my travels. This sudden change in numbers has got my scratching my head. Any thoughts?