MPG thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04liberty4x4

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some mileage with you guys

Wife's 04 liberty 4x4 automatic just got 18.2mpg combined

55% city
45% highway

Only mods, DIY "ram air intake"

When we got this thing it was getting 12mpg, I'm pleased.

Just guesstimating based on mileage, we are getting 16-17mpg in the city, and 22-24 on the highway.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my best yet all highway(vacation) was 23.7 fiqured with a calculator. but every day mileage is 16.8 +or-.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG's

I was getting 17.1 mpg in the city before I added my lightbar and basket, now I get 16.7 because of the increased wind resistance. On the highway I'm averaging 21.7 mpg, down from 22.4 mpg.

I haven't done any other exterior mods, or anything under the hood.

Check your air filters, spark plugs (Still using the stock NGK double platinum's at 60,000 miles, they're rated for 90,000 miles) and tire pressures (I run 33 psi).

Maybe your speedometer isn't calibrated correctly, which is causing your odometer to be off, making it look like it lowers you mpg's. This could be caused by a change in tire size, or by excessive wear. Remember some models came with 215/75/16 while others came with 235/70/16, if you bought your Jeep used, they could have changed sizes, or it could be an error from the factory. That's a 0.9% difference, which could account for some of lost mpg's. Compare your odometer to someone else's over the same trip and see if they're the same.

Pay attention to your driving habits. The harder you accelerate, the worse your fuel economy. If you see the light turning red up ahead, let off the gas and coast in to it. Try to pick a route that avoids long idles at stops. (I live in a relatively small city 60,000 where traffic isn't too bad, and the lights aren't long). I don't drive like a grandma, but I don't drive like a maniac either. Smooth acceleration and smooth stops, 5 mph over the speed limit (never more, never less).

I don't know why my mileage has always been better than what's reported here, but I'm not complaining.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12-14mpg in a very heavy traffic city
21-24mpg in highway/interstate

The better figures in highway are with warm and dry weather, A/C off, all windows up, 2 passengers and light luggage... no roof basket, no lightbar and 36psi in the stock SR-A tires.

Cheers :)

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC

I always drive with my Jeep on recirculate, most of the time with my AC on. I did replace my 04 controls with 05+ controls so that I could use the recirculate feature. My MPG's went up 1.2 mpg when I replaced the the 04 controls with the 05 controls that allow you to recirculate with the AC off.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always drive with my Jeep on recirculate, most of the time with my AC on. I did replace my 04 controls with 05+ controls so that I could use the recirculate feature. My MPG's went up 1.2 mpg when I replaced the the 04 controls with the 05 controls that allow you to recirculate with the AC off.

Sorry for the OT... :D

It's difficult to DIY? Is 55037533AG the right MOPAR P/N?

Cheers!

Last edited:

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made a trip from Tulsa to Leavenworth, KS and back, got 31MPG calculated. First time over 27MPG. In town is looking like 23MPG currently. Improvement if fuel economy occurred after warranty rework of rear differential(all new bearings).
Lewis

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made a trip from Tulsa to Leavenworth, KS and back, got 31MPG calculated. First time over 27MPG. In town is looking like 23MPG currently. Improvement if fuel economy occurred after warranty rework of rear differential(all new bearings).
Lewis

31?

04liberty4x4

Reaction score
ahhh didnt make that connection, whew.

Yea I said WOWZER's too when i saw that 31, thought he must have been a "HYPERMILER" from hell. But even those guys, I've only talked to ONE guy who gets 26mpg COMBINED on the gas KJ, he does tons of "gliding" and kills the car at stoplights.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I want good gas mileage, I take the car.

My Jeep is a pig and the best it gets lately is around 20 average on a good day with a tailwind. And that's almost all highway and there is not a lot of traffic up here. Not much city driving here and we are stuck with 10% ethanol in our gas which does not help. Actual city driving would be closer to 16 with 17absolute max....4lo,first gear is 6-8mpg per scangague....:D

Dave

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I AVG about 16-18mpg with 50/50 on city and Highway. the best I got a on a trip was 19-20mpg. Now that it's getting colder I'm gonna see the AVG drop to about 14-16mpg. And of course when the snow comes I can slowly see my Gas gauge drop with 4-HI on. sad2.gif

But that's okay!!! I didn't buy it b/c of fuel. I bought it b/c it's a jeep :D

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we got this thing it was getting 12mpg, I'm pleased.

Hmm, I keep hearing of people with unmodded jeeps getting really horrible mileage, and I'm always a little perplexed. I always begin to suspect driving style.headscratch.gif

My jeep got 17-21 (right in the rating zone) when I first got it. After I got a different job with a lot of start and stop driving, it dropped down to around 15-17-- but if I do solid highway miles, it can still be up in the 18-20 range.luxhello.gif In addition, I got my Yokohama's which are bigger tires-- and that would certainly account for a drop of about 1 mpg. But stories of 10-12 mpg in an unmodded Jeep? I have no idea why.

I suspect it may be something like computers. I can browse all the questionable sites all day, never get any spyware or viruses. My coworkers are constantly bringing their computers to me saying "It feels slow", only to find that it's chock full of spyware. Things that make you go 'hmm'.:-k

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe your speedometer isn't calibrated correctly, which is causing your odometer to be off, making it look like it lowers you mpg's. This could be caused by a change in tire size, or by excessive wear.

Word. Have the dealer check the "pinion factor" in the computer. I had the dealer do that on my first service after getting the new tire size. It made a noticable difference to my speedo. Plus, I could tell 'cause I have a gps to calibrate against.