Collection of MPG Fuel Milage Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its a valid thread, and the OP has every right to provide what information he has without being rudely attacked for it. Everyone has their opinions... respect theirs if you want yours to also be respected. I find it funny how people reply telling him his huge sampling of data must be wrong because everyone lies but my MPG is *** and that is gospel. I calculated my average based on mileage and quantity used over a period of about 8 months... I personally don't trust the computer or any gadgets - I more believe a consistent number coming up over and over again. If 1000 people are getting 10 MPG, and one "magical Jeep" here is getting 30 MPG... lets just say that last guy has been smoking some good stuff or he's full 'o crap. I've been testing this theory of driving faster to get better mileage but so far I am only using more gas. I need to try it for a longer period to have enough data to say for sure though... I think I will start charting it like I did originally and compare my notes after 8 months or so...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No, that's good. I wasn't trying to say it was a bad gesture, just that everyone online wants to pretend they're getting better gas mileage than is true. If you found those same people who post high averages and managed to ask them face to face for a ride to see their mileage , they'd probably stumble through their next sentence lol

Come take a ride anywhere , any length with me, I wouldn't care and know what I get from actual miles and actual amounts used. Over 220,000 miles on the 04 with various tire sizes, different gear ratios / speeds etc. Not checked every day/ every week, but then again very often.
For example where I lived before it was a 5-5 hr 15 minute drive down home, did it every other week, same route etc so if something suddenly happened and I used 5-6 more gallons I would of known.
So while you may think people " pretend to be getting better gas mileage" I think thats a bit of a stretch.
I found out very early on back in 04 that the 3.7s do not like to be lugged down, nor babied so none of mine are slowly accelerated. Getting on an on ramp is a foot to the floor and up to speed as fast as possible for example.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think its a valid thread, and the OP has every right to provide what information he has without being rudely attacked for it. Everyone has their opinions... respect theirs if you want yours to also be respected. I find it funny how people reply telling him his huge sampling of data must be wrong because everyone lies but my MPG is *** and that is gospel. I calculated my average based on mileage and quantity used over a period of about 8 months... I personally don't trust the computer or any gadgets - I more believe a consistent number coming up over and over again. If 1000 people are getting 10 MPG, and one "magical Jeep" here is getting 30 MPG... lets just say that last guy has been smoking some good stuff or he's full 'o crap. I've been testing this theory of driving faster to get better mileage but so far I am only using more gas. I need to try it for a longer period to have enough data to say for sure though... I think I will start charting it like I did originally and compare my notes after 8 months or so...

No one is being rudely attacked from what I have seen. Discussions like this one are widely known to be of great debate. All comes from many variables, such as how you drive, where you drive, how you keep up maintenance etc. To be completely fair I guess each person could post air pressure in the tires, his maintenance schedule, weight of gear oil , weight of the vehicle, gearing etc then go from there.
But I do know some guesstimate while others nit pick down to the single extra ounce of extra gas being put in.
Back in the 70s a great friend of mine traveled all over the country doing mileage runs that were put on back then. His car of choice was a 66 Dodge Coronet with a 361 in it, and he beat out many of the guys running Pintos etc back then. It was attention to details/ maintenance etc .

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valid yes but some things needed to be corrected for being "urban legend" type of thing and hillbilly tactics.Vehicles of today with modern FI and OBDII software are vastly different then something from 30+ years ago.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come take a ride anywhere , any length with me, I wouldn't care and know what I get from actual miles and actual amounts used. Over 220,000 miles on the 04 with various tire sizes, different gear ratios / speeds etc. Not checked every day/ every week, but then again very often.
For example where I lived before it was a 5-5 hr 15 minute drive down home, did it every other week, same route etc so if something suddenly happened and I used 5-6 more gallons I would of known.
So while you may think people " pretend to be getting better gas mileage" I think thats a bit of a stretch.
I found out very early on back in 04 that the 3.7s do not like to be lugged down, nor babied so none of mine are slowly accelerated. Getting on an on ramp is a foot to the floor and up to speed as fast as possible for example.

Man you guys always feel like everyone's poking at you specifically.
What I was referring to, is go to a fuel mileage site like fuelly. Now tell me it's a stretch. Never said anyone on here was a liar. And I hammer on the gas in mine everywhere I go. Never cared what mileage I get, as I have a car for the rides I feel like giving a shit about the mileage on.

I put 1200 miles a week on my jeep for a year straight in college. Drove 45 miles to school, drove around, drove 45 back. Weekend came I drove 3 1/2 hours home every weekend. Never gave two about my mileage because I knew exactly how much gas I would use whether I babied it, or hammered on it.
So I hammered on it, because it uses the same amount of gas, performs better, and rides smoother.

No need for this debate truthfully, as it was not directed at anyone here, including yourself tom. Now if you want to go take a ride, fine by me lol. We can go bomb a trail, I could go for seeing some of your central Ohio trails.
Ps. I'm almost to your 04's mileage.
Pretty sure you got yours new, but I've owned mine for 175k now and it has earned every mile, same as your 04 did until you sold it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man you guys always feel like everyone's poking at you specifically.
What I was referring to, is go to a fuel mileage site like fuelly. Now tell me it's a stretch. Never said anyone on here was a liar. And I hammer on the gas in mine everywhere I go. Never cared what mileage I get, as I have a car for the rides I feel like giving a shit about the mileage on.

I put 1200 miles a week on my jeep for a year straight in college. Drove 45 miles to school, drove around, drove 45 back. Weekend came I drove 3 1/2 hours home every weekend. Never gave two about my mileage because I knew exactly how much gas I would use whether I babied it, or hammered on it.
So I hammered on it, because it uses the same amount of gas, performs better, and rides smoother.

No need for this debate truthfully, as it was not directed at anyone here, including yourself tom. Now if you want to go take a ride, fine by me lol. We can go bomb a trail, I could go for seeing some of your central Ohio trails.
Ps. I'm almost to your 04's mileage.
Pretty sure you got yours new, but I've owned mine for 175k now and it has earned every mile, same as your 04 did until you sold it.
Just making an observation, not really directing at you but another post and combining answers .
Yes bought the 04 new.
The 03 was bought new by the folks I got it from, ( well went through dealer ) but I talked to them, got all of their records on everytime they bought gas, oil, one set of tires, 4 alignments etc over the years they owned it so know full history. I find my mileage a bit better than theirs by a mile or two .

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Or You could be like me and just don't care what kind of mpg's I get,more so on long trips since averaging 3mpg's on the highway still is cheaper then most plane tickets(to include baggage fees and such) and the hassle involved by flying.

Yes I track them since a sudden drop for no reason is a sign of something not right,very helpful diagnostic tool.

x2, I just glance at the EVIC every now and then just to see if it's dropped to 1 MPG and then I know something is up.

Had it since it was 2 years old with 36k on it, never was something Greenpeace would endorse and that's one reason why I love it. :gr_grin:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valid yes but some things needed to be corrected for being "urban legend" type of thing and hillbilly tactics.Vehicles of today with modern FI and OBDII software are vastly different then something from 30+ years ago.

I totally agree... but using a term like "idiot" can make it sound like OP knows nothing about anything. I am sure it was not used in that way but could be misinterpreted as such. The same conversation in person can have a totally different meaning that in a forum setting... each person reads it with a different mind set than someone else would, or how the poster intended it to sound. Something to consider when replying anywhere in writing. I know I have had many innocent posts taken very badly (even here) when the original intent was not meant to be so.

The Jeeps here are all vastly different, from weight to gearing, tires... it is hard to compare one to the other.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree... but using a term like "idiot" can make it sound like OP knows nothing about anything. I am sure it was not used in that way but could be misinterpreted as such. The same conversation in person can have a totally different meaning that in a forum setting... each person reads it with a different mind set than someone else would, or how the poster intended it to sound. Something to consider when replying anywhere in writing. I know I have had many innocent posts taken very badly (even here) when the original intent was not meant to be so.

The Jeeps here are all vastly different, from weight to gearing, tires... it is hard to compare one to the other.

Yeah, well said. Easy to misinterprete the typed word and I am sure no one meant anything disparaging.

This is a pretty good forum with a lot of good people and info. Not like some other forums.....LOL

Dave

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well said. Easy to misinterprete the typed word and I am sure no one meant anything disparaging.

This is a pretty good forum with a lot of good people and info. Not like some other forums.....LOL

Dave

Yup, agreed... and I am not poking at tjkj2002 either... please don't take it that way.

If any of you are coders (programmers) then you might already know... the C++ forums can be outright obnoxious. Ask what you think is a simple question and you get 100 replies about how stupid your naming convention is or where you put a bracket... but nobody replying to the actual question. Very annoying.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...If any of you are coders (programmers) then you might already know... the C++ forums can be outright obnoxious. Ask what you think is a simple question and you get 100 replies about how stupid your naming convention is or where you put a bracket... but nobody replying to the actual question. Very annoying.
I had to learn a bunch of C# in school. I'd have a program 99% working and ask a simple, straightforward question about the 1% that didn't work. Nearly every reply started something like "Well, I'd have never done it that way to begin with", point out what they would have done, then end without ever actually offering any practical advice. It's like those answers you get on some generic car forums which say something useless like "I'd have never bought a Jeep to begin with because my uncle had one and it..."

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, agreed... and I am not poking at tjkj2002 either... please don't take it that way.

If any of you are coders (programmers) then you might already know... the C++ forums can be outright obnoxious. Ask what you think is a simple question and you get 100 replies about how stupid your naming convention is or where you put a bracket... but nobody replying to the actual question. Very annoying.

Spend an evening on Pirate4X4, 85% of the questions asked here, on LOST and especially on Fakebook would have most people running for cover and never log on again!
They are almost like the old guys were when I was starting out, either get tuff or leave. :gr_grin::gr_grin:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend an evening on Pirate4X4, 85% of the questions asked here, on LOST and especially on Fakebook would have most people running for cover and never log on again!
They are almost like the old guys were when I was starting out, either get tuff or leave. :gr_grin::gr_grin:

Yeah you need to carefully word your posts if asking a ? or really know your s**t if answering one on that forum.

Saw what they did to that one guy(can't remember his name) that tried to do a SFA conversion on his KJ,they saw his welds and oh boy the admin had to delete the whole thread from how bad it got.Thankfully they all praised my build,not much love for the KJ part but a solid build from all that replied.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just go over there and say Hi and be prepared to be buried in excrement...LOL

Dave

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tabs or spaces?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's like those answers you get on some generic car forums which say something useless like "I'd have never bought a Jeep to begin with because my uncle had one and it..."

That's exactly how Bob is the oil guy forums are. Haters:happy175:

Pirate 4x4 is hilarious, I go there for a laugh every now and then. :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

There are some great builds on there , but yes more for the entertainment value than anything.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are some great builds on there , but yes more for the entertainment value than anything.

Love the getto fab/hack job thread in the general section.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tabs or spaces?

Amazing how something so trivial can cause such an argument.
Did you see the episode of Silicon Valley (tabs or spaces).

I'm a spaces guy. Had a team of 10 developers at one point and not one of them could set their tab spacing right so I had to implement and enforce a hard rule for 3 spaces and no tabs. Some of them still hate me to this day... even with 4 TB drives...