Mopar iPod Integration Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine charges for three minutes after the ignition is off. Then it cuts power to it and turns off the iPod completely.

Can't help you with the satellite part.

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlantic,

Thanks for the great pictures. I'm gonna have to order an RB1 and iPod kit asap! :)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, good news! I just ordered two of the iPod kits. It should work fine in my '06 TJ, and it will probably work in my '04 KJ. I'm going to install it first in the KJ, and if it doesn't work, I'll move it to the TJ and just return the second kit. But it sounds like it should work in the KJ. I've got an extra mini iPod that will find a new home in the KJ. (biggrin)

I'm very excited, as I'm so tired of trying to fit just a dozen songs (or so) onto a CD. My playlists have gotten too big (not to mention Audiobooks too)!

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:
Also, I have to swap back to the AM/FM to get the AUX button to switch from the iPod to Sirius (and vice versa). Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Just finished installiny mine, it works the same way and I have to use the buttons on the RB1, the steering wheel toggle will not go to the ipod display, also there is something really sharp inside the cavitiy when the box sits, cut the heck, out of my thumb

Bob

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentleman said:
Just finished installiny mine, it works the same way and I have to use the buttons on the RB1, the steering wheel toggle will not go to the ipod display, also there is something really sharp inside the cavitiy when the box sits, cut the heck, out of my thumb

Bob

Bob, what iPod do you have it hooked up to? I'm looking forward to it!

I'll watch out for the sharp object too!

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4G Nano, hand me down from grandson, when I gave him a 30G for graduation, of course I had to delete all his music and install my type, now I wish I had the 30 back.

Bob

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentleman said:
I have a 4G Nano, hand me down from grandson, when I gave him a 30G for graduation, of course I had to delete all his music and install my type, now I wish I had the 30 back.

Bob

I understand about music choices!

The big hard drive is nice. My iTunes playlists are about 20 gigs, so it's nice to be able to carry everything rather then just some. I'll use my 60 gig in my TJ, and I've got a 4 gig iPod mini that my wife no longer uses (she has a Shuffle now) that wil go in our KJ. I might consider an 8 gig Nano for my TJ just so I can leave it in there most of the time. My 60 gig is nice to have in the house for watching videos.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the subject of ipods, can anyone tell if it is possible to transfer music from from ipod to another, I tried using itunes, tried moving files and folders to library, also tried the export feature but none of it seems to work, of course itunes is new to me and I may not be using it correctly

Thanks

Bob

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apple likes things pretty closed up... so you can only put things from your computer onto the iPod and not the other way around. There are aftermarket programs that will, however, do exactly what you are asking. I don't know anything specific right now, but if you do some searching on google, I'm sure you will find something good.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k21975 said:
Apple likes things pretty closed up... so you can only put things from your computer onto the iPod and not the other way around. There are aftermarket programs that will, however, do exactly what you are asking. I don't know anything specific right now, but if you do some searching on google, I'm sure you will find something good.

Thats correct, apple likes for things to be difficult. All the file names are coded, poorly, and they scramble the order. You can copy the music but its hardly worth the extra trouble.

BOYCOT ITUNES!

Winamp controls my IPOD

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at winamp, this ipod thing is new to me, never knew why I needed one, but now that I have one it's become addictive.
I just learned something others may already know, originally I said that I could not access the radio accessory screen (ipod) from the steering wheel controls, but I discovered that you can by toggling through the different functions i.e. am > fm > sat > am > fm > ipod > and so on using the center button on the right hand side as you would if you did not have another source, but for as I can tell you need to use the radio preselect buttons to toggle the ipod between playlists, albums, etc.

Bob

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love iTunes. Well designed for all my playlists. It's an Apple thing! Plus their store is great. I have about 600 purchases to date! (biggrin)

I'm watching the latest NASCAR video of last weekend's race in fact (I subscribed to the season).

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see why they chose to make it difficult to copy music off the iPod and especially why they prevented iPod to iPod copies. Those are the reasons they manage to get away with having plain mp3s on the iPod without any DRM protection.

There are a few ways to circumvent all that. The secret is knowing what is going on on the iPod:

MP3 files are stored as regular mp3 files on the harddrive of the iPod, but they are put into random folders with random filenames that don't correspond to the filename, artist, playlist, or anything else. iTunes creates a database of all the ID3 tag information for the files so that it can find them easily.

So effectively, without any other programs, you can copy an mp3 off the iPod onto a computer. Of course, you'll have a tough time finding the file, since it's named "file012.mp3" in folder "folder125" or something similar.

Now, there are a few ways to get around all that:
  • use WinAmp. WinAmp can recursively load a directory of mp3s and load up their track information. Doing that will show the names, artists, etc of all the songs. From there, you can Jump to the song you want and get "File Info" on it, which will tell you the filename. Just copy that file to the local drive and rename it and you have your mp3.
  • Use a program like vPod to add/remove files from the iPod. vPod reads the iPod database and can look up files that way. Tres Simple! (Actually, vPod might be only one-way. I usually load a copy of the vPod exe onto the actual iPod drive so I can use it to take music from other peoples computers and quickly add it to the iPod)
  • Use RockBox to completely replace the iPod GUI/operating system with a different one. That different one can play mp3s right out of their directories like a normal mp3 player. Of course, unless you also rebuild the iPod database, you won't be able to control it with an iPod-specific control device, like the ones for the car stereo.
  • Anapod looks good, too. I think it's commercial, but the free trial is worth trying.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use EphPod for music transfering, works pretty well, just kinda tricky to get set up at first.

Or i'm just ********. \:D/

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
Use RockBox to completely replace the iPod GUI/operating system with a different one. That different one can play mp3s right out of their directories like a normal mp3 player. Of course, unless you also rebuild the iPod database, you won't be able to control it with an iPod-specific control device, like the ones for the car stereo.

Oh?
That seems to be Extremely beneficial to those of us who use the 1/8" jack instead of the transfer cable.

Do you have experience with that program, and if so, maybe a write up would be in order.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My two kits arrived last night!!!

I'm going to attempt the install on the KJ tonight. I'll document it!
(band2) (band)

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Holy sh*t.

I just installed RockBox on my Ipod, and I am playing the classic game "Doom" on it now!

That's cool!

I've been thinking about giving it a try, but I don't want to be too long without my car-iPod. The other reason is that I don't want to give up an already-perfect User-Interface for one that is made by open source hackers. Don't get me wrong, I love open source, but the UI always leaves to be desired, whereas the iPod interface is the refined perfection that every other mp3 maker wishes they could meet.

Although, I would love to make it easier to arrange music on there. I especially want to be able to make different playlists of the same music, something which is a pain in the butt with iTunes, and ends up copying the same song onto the iPod for each playlist I copy.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... the Mopar iPod kit install was successful on both my TJ and KJ! It works great!

The install on the TJ was much more work. For the box that goes between the stereo and the iPod, in the TJ there was no room for it around the stereo. The instructions had me remove the instrument panel and put the box in behind the panel! I had to take a lot of the dash covers off to do the install. Thankfully I had found someone's write up of how to remove a stock stereo. The "drawings" that come along with Mopar parts are very lacking in providing tips. For one, the stereo on the TJ had a nut behind it to make it harder to remove (or steal as the reason is). It would have been a lot harder to figure out where the nut was and how to get at it without the write up. Thank God for internet!

I did also use Benette's write up for pulling out the stereo on the KJ. It was much easier! My only issue was that I couldn't seem to locate where the antenna unplugged from the stereo. I wasn't able to reach far enough back and find the connector. Luckily I didn't have to pull out the stereo all the way, so no need to unhook the antenna. On the TJ, the antenna wire runs right behind the glove box and it was easy to unplug.

My KJ's stereo is RBP, btw.

This was a great mod, and the wife and I are very happy to have this. I highly recommend this install to all! It's easy to select playlists and different songs, and the titles display on the stereo (well at least the first eight characters do!). I have also purchased some audio books via iTunes that were too long to fit onto a CD, so this solves that problem!

As I wrote above, we've got an extra mini that can be left in the KJ, and I may buy an Nano to leave in the TJ. I love the massive gig storage on my iPod Video, but I don't want to leave it in there all the time.

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are different versions of the adapter for different radio's? I currently have a a CD/Tape (RBP I believe) but I want to get the RB1 soon. If there are different versions, can I buy the version for the RB1 now and have it work on my current stock radio?

Thanks for the help.