Mopar iPod Integration Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit will work with either radio, here is a list of the radios it will work with per and addendum sheet I received with my kit, RBK RBP RAH RBQ RAZ RB1, it also states that the ipod 3G and Shuffle models will only work with the aux connector.

Bob

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

After playing around with my iPod Video... having a lot of music... etc... I've been taking some of my long playlists in iTunes and making them smaller, so that it is easier to locate songs. It would be cool to see future Mopar decks that let you control the music from the iPod, not the deck.

Also, I've found that with an iPod Video, only the music playlists show up as available playlists on the deck. For those that are familiar with iTunes, at the top, podcasts and videos default to show up under their own icons at the top of the playlists. These icons do not show up on the Mopar deck. So, I've created some smart playlists for podcasts that I listen to, so that they show up under music playlists.

I tried to do so for some movies and TV shows too (so I could listen to them). But, I have to go into the MP4 file and change it from "Movie" or "TV Show" to "Music Video". Then when placed in a playlist, they do show up on the Mopar deck as music to play. But, with a two hour movie, the size of the files are about a half gig due to the video, which take some time to start to play. I may see if I can just extract the audio from the movie files to make them smaller.

I tried this with a 45 minute TV show purchased from iTunes and it's fun to be able to listen to it while driving down the road.

aychamo

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first post. I had been searching for this solution, and found the forum, etc. Really happy I did!

May someone post a picture of the RBQ showing info for the iPod? Is it just a single line of text or what?

Thank you!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aychamo, it's just the first eight characters (except for the RB1 deck) that show of either the playlist name or the song title. I just made some of my playlist names shorter.

The Mopar kit works on decks:
RB1
RAZ
RBP (in my KJ)
RBQ (in my TJ)
RAH
RBK

Works awesome, and almost too many songs to pick from!
(band) (band2) mj.gif

P.S. Here is how to change playlists...

To change playlists...
1) Hit preset one... and "playlist" appears.
2) The seek buttons (up/ down) will then take you through the playlists.
3) When you find the playlist you want, hit "pty", and it goes into that list.
4) Then the seek buttons (up/ down) go through the songs in a playlist.

The other preset buttons browse artists, albums, genres, and preset five shuffles songs in the playlist. Also, the very first playlist that appears is "all songs"... on the iPod.

The scan buttons (up/ down) move you through songs.

The "mod" button switches to the radio, or CD, to iPod.

Steering wheel controls work too (as seek buttons up/ down)!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take photos of the install on the KJ... as it was so much easier! I would say 15 minutes at most! I spent an hour on my TJ.

The kit contents:
You must be registered for see images

Taking apart the TJ's dash:

The Mopar/ iPod box fit in behind the instrument panel (note, the box fit fine to the left of stereo on KJ):

The iPod Video now in the glove box!

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Update...

After playing around with my iPod Video... having a lot of music... etc... I've been taking some of my long playlists in iTunes and making them smaller, so that it is easier to locate songs. It would be cool to see future Mopar decks that let you control the music from the iPod, not the deck.

Unfortunately, dual control is probably never going to happen. The control (dock) interface for the iPod is designed to control the iPod and prevent the iPod itself from conflicting with that. To allow both to control it, you'd need to be able to have some kind of way to decide which one takes precedence, handle conflicts, etc. It's just stuff that the iPod doesn't have built in, and it's probably better off that way.

The mopar kit DOES have a second-best though. You can pull the iPod out of the glove box and swap from the dock connector to the audio jack (since the mopar iPod kit includes both). When it is plugged into the aux audio input, all the controls will happen on the iPod. So if you have a passenger that wants to drive the iPod, you can just swap the cable for them real quick (or explain to them how to do it) and you're set.

I tried to do so for some movies and TV shows too (so I could listen to them). But, I have to go into the MP4 file and change it from "Movie" or "TV Show" to "Music Video". Then when placed in a playlist, they do show up on the Mopar deck as music to play. But, with a two hour movie, the size of the files are about a half gig due to the video, which take some time to start to play. I may see if I can just extract the audio from the movie files to make them smaller. I tried this with a 45 minute TV show purchased from iTunes and it's fun to be able to listen to it while driving down the road.

That's probably the best way to do it, just extract the audio and make a separate file. That's good that the mopar control box knows to ignore the video playlists. I'd be annoyed if tv shows kept coming up while I was driving, since I wouldn't be able to watch them.

aychamo

Reaction score
Dang.. It ***** that the RBQ only shows Playlists or Artists... Looks like I may eventaully have to get the radio with the screen (RB1?)..!!!

:)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
grogiefrog said:
Update...The mopar kit DOES have a second-best though. You can pull the iPod out of the glove box and swap from the dock connector to the audio jack (since the mopar iPod kit includes both). When it is plugged into the aux audio input, all the controls will happen on the iPod. So if you have a passenger that wants to drive the iPod, you can just swap the cable for them real quick (or explain to them how to do it) and you're set.

That's a good idea... thanks. =D>

Although it wouldn't provide power, the passenger could watch a video that way too.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tomjonesrocks said:
Has ANYONE tried installing this with an RBP yet?

I haven't but the addendum sheet that came with mine say that the RBP is supported and the instruction booklet shows a RBP, since the RBP is considered the old style (without the rounded edges) you will need an adapter cable part # 82207541.

Bob

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Se7enLC said:
grogiefrog said:
Update...The mopar kit DOES have a second-best though. You can pull the iPod out of the glove box and swap from the dock connector to the audio jack (since the mopar iPod kit includes both). When it is plugged into the aux audio input, all the controls will happen on the iPod. So if you have a passenger that wants to drive the iPod, you can just swap the cable for them real quick (or explain to them how to do it) and you're set.

That's a good idea... thanks. =D>

Although it wouldn't provide power, the passenger could watch a video that way too.

Last weekend I did picked up a mini stereo cable (male to male), and this works great! With an iPod Video, my wife can watch a video, and I can listen to it while driving. Movies and TV shows sound great! =D>

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunetaly I don't have an iPod.. Yes, I don't.. =D> I invested the dollars on a well equipped Pocket PC, PSP and memory sticks. I have huge storage on these combined, and since I am not planning to get an iPod soon I wish there was a cheaper option to get AUX only on my RBQ.

I would hate to get this $160 piece only for the AUX in, and later get an iPod (eventually) to use the wheel mounted controls.. ](*,) So, if there is any other solution for RBQ that anyone knows of, cheaper, and only adds AUX in, please let me know. Otherwise this setup is not for someone who doesn't have an iPod.

Oh, for those with incompatible radios, check out crutchfield, they got a big iPod integration sale going on..
* Free iPod control interface, a $100 value, with select Clarion stereos
* Free Panasonic iPod adapter, a $50 value, with the CQ-C7203U
* Free Alpine iPod control cable, a $30 value, with the CDA-9857

*Edit: Just noticed on Crutchfield, they finally added the option of "Factory In-Dash CD Changer" during identify your car part.. They never had this before, I surely hope they are referring to RBQ and with this selection, This comes up as compatible with the unit, to add AUX.

*Edit (2) : Hmm.. #-o When I get into details, it says "The factory radio must not have a built-in CD changer." I am pretty confused...

aychamo

Reaction score
Do you prefer the PSP with a handful of memory sticks to a 60gig ipod?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:

Personally, I went with the 60 gig for the additional storage. My iTunes library is about 23 gig, but then I also use it for backing up files from my hard drive, and for transferring files. Plus, Apple sells a connector to hook up your digital camera and transfer photos to the iPod for storage.

I have to add... being able to watch videos is just cool. I was stuck in an airport till 1:30 a.m. recently, and it was nice to watch some TV shows and movies.
\:D/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:

I prefer the options of PSP and Pocket PC rather than carrying a portion of my music library with me all the time. I have about 6 GB storage in memory on Pocket PC and 2 GB on PSP. I don't use PSP as primary music player, I do that on my T-Mobile SDA which already has 1GB filled with music.

iPod is good to have but lay out $400 for that? On top of that you have to pay $200 for accessories to get it work with your car. I mean, it is great, from what I can see, functinality rocks, but a bit of an over-luxary for me. Only if I could get $20 aux converter and mini female plug (rca will do) I can hook up my phone to it. It plays my tunes, and when I get a call, mutes.. Don't need to spend a fortune to get it set up professionally.. Keep my bluetooth in my ear, call, mute, hang up, back to music..

No, they couldn't do a simple aux, they had to go to the extreme and make it all fancy. ](*,)

aychamo

Reaction score
Have you looked into FM transmitters? You could hook it up to the 1/8" jack on your phone/ipod/whatever and play the audio through the vehicles sound system.

Question: If you use this iPod car adapter, but only hook it up via the headphone jack (instead of the dock), can your steering wheel still control the radio volume? (I assume so)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
aychamo said:
Have you looked into FM transmitters? You could hook it up to the 1/8" jack on your phone/ipod/whatever and play the audio through the vehicles sound system.

Yes, tried two different types, Jeep's reception is already not that great, and with stations at almost every frequency, I get a lousy sound quality. I need something very powerful + digital so I can use ANY frequency I wish and with powerful transmission the local stations should not interfere. So, I gave up on that because of sound quality + reception problems.

aychamo said:
Question: If you use this iPod car adapter, but only hook it up via the headphone jack (instead of the dock), can your steering wheel still control the radio volume? (I assume so)

Yes. Volume controls will control the speakers, independent from the input. Just set the input volume to somewhere in the middle. Too low input will cause hissing, and too high will cause distortion.

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else used this kit with the iPod Mini? (4GB) I just installed the kit and when the iPod is plugged in and I use the Mode button to switch inputs, it reads Sirius on the screen. Then the audio comes through and I am able to skip songs and stuff, but the display on the radio (RBP) reads CH 1, then CH 2, Ch3, etc... each time I change songs. When I try to navigate the iPod using the preset buttons (change to artist or playlist etc...) nothing comes up on the display and I have no idea where I am in the menu.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess i should add that I have a 2003 Limited w/ the RBP radio. The documentation states that the RBP is supported, is it the 2003 that is the problem? :(

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... new information...

The RBP radio model number that is supported is 05094468AC.
My RBP radio model number is P05064125AD.

Looks like it may not work right. :(