Mopar iPod Integration Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works with all 2005 and 2006 KJ's...

-----------
UPDATE: This worked on my 2004 KJ as well (and was very easy to install)... and currently it's known to work on all these decks:
RB1
RAZ
RBP
RBQ
RAH
RBK

Plus they offer a discount on all Mopar parts to our members... See this link for details:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3818

-----------

http://www.wyckoff-mopar-parts.com/moipinkit.html

Here is the install instructions. Jeff at Wyckoff sent me the instructions for adding this to a Liberty.

You must be registered for see images

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed the parts manager and asked him what was involved in hooking this up? He responded that he did not know as it's brand new.

I then responded and asked him to post the instructions, as there is interest here. I can at least add it to my TJ.

I'll let everyone know.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, he said he'll have them in stock, in about two weeks. I'll email him then and ask for the instructions.

I'll follow-up then!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:
How will this integrate with the RB1 Nav Radio?

Does it?

JJO, I don't see the RB1 Nav Radio on what it works with (see below)???

FEATURES/BENEFITS
Fully integrates with RAZ, RBP, RBQ, RAH and RBK radios(radio model should be on the front of the radio)
Fully compatible with 3G, 4G Mini, Photo, 40G Nano and Ipod Video models. iPod Shuffle will require use of the auxiliary input connector
Audio voice prompts guide you through menu selections on RBK radio
Mopar's iPod integration kit provides a physical connection between the iPod and the vehicle's audio system, resulting in optimal digital audio quality
Customer's iPod and Mopar's iPod interface cable is safely stored in the vehicle's glove box
The interface cable allows the customer's iPod to charge when the vehicle ignition is "On"
Easily control your iPod function via radio and multifunction steering wheel controls
Features Previous Track, Next Track, Browse Play list/Artist/Albums/Genres, Shuffle and more!
Audio voice prompts guide you through menu selections on RBK radio

Fits the following models:
2006 Dodge Minivans, Stratus Sedan, Chrysler Town & Country, Sebring Sedan/Conv., Pacifica, Jeep Liberty, Wrangler
2005 Dodge Ram, Minivan, Stratus Sedan, Neon, Chrysler Town & Country, Sebring Sedan/Conv., Pacifica, Jeep Liberty, Wrangler

Supported by the following OEM radios. Check the front of the radio for the 3-digit model code and then the back of the radio for the 10-digit part number.
RBK 05091506AE/AF 05091556AF
RBP 05094468AC
RAH 05161262AA/AB 05094564AB/AC
RBQ 05091507AE 05064038AA/AB
RAZ 05064042AB/AC

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added an Alpine head unit with the iPod interface and a multichanger to my TJ and those instructions for the wrangler confirm my thoughts... there is very little space behind the dash of a TJ.

jarvis

Reaction score
Last week I ordered an ipod integration kit from Wycoff. Spent an hour-and-a-half installing it last night.

A few comments/tips on the install:

1) I used a kitchen spatula to pry-off the factory radio trim panel. Worked great.

2) There is plenty of room in the suggested location for the aux module that comes with the kit and plugs into the radio. It's just a little tricky to maneuver it back there once you've got all the wires attached. I'd recommend practicing once before removing the protective tape covers.

3) There is no need to drill any holes (at least in my '06 KJ. The Ipod connection is plenty long to reach the glovebox area, and then up and into the pre-existing hole in the "owners manual slot." I just routed the wiring through there.

4) Before beginning, read the instructions on how to remove the glove box on this site and how to remove the factory radio.

Glove box: http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=367

Radio: http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=317

5) The little silver sticker that comes in the kit is meant to cover the dip switches, once they are set. I didn't have to change any dip switch settings (all off) for my RBQ radio.

As to the operation of the kit, well, I dunno.

There are two connectors included in the kit -- a 1/8" mini jack and an iPod "dock connector." The 1/8" mini jack connector worked fine. I had a new "aux" mode on the radio, and the iPod played through the factory speakers (and could be controlled by factory radio volume).

The neat thing about this kit, though, is the functionality when the iPod is plugged into the dock connector. The radio is supposed to show album, artist, etc., and you can browse through playlists or alphabetically through songs using the factory radio controls (inclusing the steering wheel controls). When I plugged my your iPod into the dock connector, it started charging and I got a neat "Jeep" display in the iPod screen so I'm confident that it is hooked up correctly. But the iPod wouldn't play. The radio read "FIRM ERR," which means that my iPod's firmware has to be updated. Unfortunately, my iPod (3rd generation) has the latest update, so I might be out of luck without upgrading my iPod.

I'm traveling with a friend who has a new iPod Nano, so I'll see if that works and report back.

Thanks,

Jarvis

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's different about the 05-06 sound system wise that makes this units not fit in an 03?

I've got a 5G ipod with the RB1 nav unit and I'm looking to get something like this. I'm willing to bet that it'll work.

Any thoughts?

jarvis

Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:
What's different about the 05-06 sound system wise that makes this units not fit in an 03?

I've got a 5G ipod with the RB1 nav unit and I'm looking to get something like this. I'm willing to bet that it'll work.

Any thoughts?

My radio had an "expansion port" on the back that a cable could plug into. Maybe yours doesn't? Easy enough to check -- pull the radio and see if there is an open connector port, I guess.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jarvis, thanks for the report! Please let us know how it works! I plan on ordering one soon for my TJ.

jarvis

Reaction score
=D>

Okay, so I bought a Nano and the Jeep system works great. You don't have the nice display and search functions of the iPod but the sound quality is great, and you can browse by playlists, artist, genre, etc. all with the steering wheel controls.

Highly recommended.

daRock1212

Reaction score
Jarvis, seems like you've got the same setup as me (RBQ). If you would be so kind to field 3 questions:

1) What does the Aux plug look like, a female small (3.5 mm) headphone jack? I ask because I own a non-iPod mp3 player (Rio Karma) and would like a direct line in to the RBQ.

2) I assume you hit mode a few times to get to the right mode (what's it called on the screen?). Where does it show up, between the CD and AM radio positions?

3) If you could do a fellow a HUGE solid, could you plug your Ipod into the Aux in? How does it function? It's completely fine that I won't have dash or steering wheel control of the mp3 player, but if it works and sounds fine, this sounds perfect.

EDIT: In my excitement, I didn't read your full post. Please ignore 1) & 2). If you find the time to try 3), that would be awesome.

jarvis

Reaction score
daRock1212 said:
Jarvis, seems like you've got the same setup as me (RBQ). If you would be so kind to field 3 questions:

1) What does the Aux plug look like, a female small (3.5 mm) headphone jack? I ask because I own a non-iPod mp3 player (Rio Karma) and would like a direct line in to the RBQ.

Yes, exactly.

daRock1212 said:
2) I assume you hit mode a few times to get to the right mode (what's it called on the screen?). Where does it show up, between the CD and AM radio positions?

Yep, right again. I don't remember where it shows up in the CD, FM, AM lineup though.

daRock1212 said:
3) If you could do a fellow a HUGE solid, could you plug your Ipod into the Aux in? How does it function? It's completely fine that I won't have dash or steering wheel control of the mp3 player, but if it works and sounds fine, this sounds perfect.

EDIT: In my excitement, I didn't read your full post. Please ignore 1) & 2). If you find the time to try 3), that would be awesome.

Okay -- here's the answer on 3. There are two connections in the glove box after the install -- an 1/8" female aux in and an iPod dock connector. They don't work at the same time. If you plug an iPod into the dock connector the 1/8" aux in is disabled.

Ipod will work on the aux in of course, but the volume is pretty low compared to going in through the iPod specific connector, and there is noticeable distortion when you hike up either the radio volume or the iPod volume to be able to hear. Still sounds okay, just not as good as going through the iPod dock connector. Also, you don't get the charging you do from the dock connector.

If you have an older generation iPod (like my 3G), it will hook up to the dock connector and charge, but won't play b/c of firmware issues. You have to go through the aux in. If you have a newer generation iPod (like my nano), you definitely should just connect through the iPod dock connector.

Hope this helps.

hootal

Reaction score
CD Changer?

Will this effect the operation of the built in six disc changer??

daRock1212

Reaction score
Jarvis, thanks for the breakdown. I've gone ahead and ordered my own unit, and it should be coming in on Wednesday... =P~

Now for the hard question: does anyone know the pin layout for plug (22) of part (A)?

What I'm going to do is this: I want to splice in a wire to the AUX (e.g. not the Ipod connector, the other one). This wire will lead to a 3.5 mm jack that I'll install either in the dash or in that little cubby hole (probably the latter). I'd like to splice in another AUX for 2 reasons:

1) My mp3 player mount is close to my steering wheel (where I can see and control it), and I think running a cable from the glove compartment to the player would be unelegant; and

2) I would like to retain the functionality of the Ipod connector, just in case my Rio Karma craps out and I have to suck it up and buy Apple, or for guests to plug in their Ipods.

So if anyone has any information on a pinout diagram for plug (22), I would really appreciate it. I will, of course, document the procedure with copious pictures and report back when it's done.

daRock1212

Reaction score
I received the iPOD Integration unit last week and installed it on Saturday. I was also able to identify the pins associated with the AUX IN, and spliced in a secondary AUX in that goes to my dash. I could not be any happier with the results.

To answer the question above, there is no change in function with the in-dash CD changer.

If anyone is interested in the AUX IN splice or installing a 1/8" headphone jack into the dash, I'd be more than happy to go over it.