Mopar Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lashlarue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After examing the factory setup, I could not discern any advantage other than replacing the filter with a K&N,$38.The air inlet is a direct shot to the airbox, no restrictions or places under the hood that might retain heat. That and a 2 1/2" magnaflow catback chopped my zero to sixty time from 8.8 to 8.2, getting ready to change oil for the first time to 0-20 Mobil1, figure that should be good for another HP or two.Been getting close to 20mpg in town driving with a feather foot, not really my style but with gas at $2.70 a gallon, have to do my part.My prior vehicle was a Corvette C5 that got 18 in town and 25 on the road on premium.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
0w-20? That will pour about like water when its hot.

Agree......I would use either 5w30 or 10w30 per the manual.....depending on your climate where you live. Check your owners manual for recommended oil weight.

BTT........I didn't know Mopar made a cold air intake.....interesting

Dave

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy are they awful proud of that $$. I love how they say it is a cold air intake when all they have to keep the hot air out of the "filter" is a little shroud which is in no way going to funnel cold air into the engine. The factory air filter/intake assy is designed to draw in cold air from under the leading edge of the hood while insulating the air from underhood heat. If this was so great then why don't all vehicles come w/ this type of intake assy from the factory? Hmmm... if it will get you more HP and MPG it should be standard equipment and the MFG should get credits for helping to make a more efficient engine.

Save your money and get good results from a quality reusable, oil-free drop in filter.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was so great then why don't all vehicles come w/ this type of intake assy from the factory? Hmmm... if it will get you more HP and MPG it should be standard equipment and the MFG should get credits for helping to make a more efficient engine.

Ditto.........you better believe it. If any MFG could add a mod to increase their C A F E it would be in every vehicle from the get-go.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The main reason the auto makers do not install these "Fresh Air Intakes" is due to the fact that they increase induction noise so much that a lot of people complain about it and think that there something wrong under the hood.
Also, aftermarket accessories are known as "Add on sales" so a dealership can generate extra revenue for them selves
Take Ford as an example. They spent something like a year and millions of dollars on development to make the induction as quite as possible and the exhaust note "Just right"

This Cold air intake from Mopar works!
Other wise they wouldn't of made it.
The stock intake on the KJ is actually a joke... Look at the small opening on the leading edge under the hood!
Look at race cars, do you see a factory air box under the hood?
NO
You see Cold air intakes and real air filters, not stock shit.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not much on those Cold Air Intakes either. I like the look and the sound but I dont believe they pull more cold air than the stock box does.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price per HP increase is a joke w/ these "CAI" setups. Read the article on the exhaust And "CAI" mods on a KJ and see that between the two mods they only got a couple extra HP and that is at WOT dyno testing. So imagine that if you actually want to take advantage of those couple of extra HP you will need to keep your foot buried in it which surely isn't going to help your MPG.
Lame. I would rather spend my money on mods that would actually help my overall off road ability. (lower gears, armor, bigger tires, lift, etc.)
The bottom line on mods like this is they make them because Somebody will buy them.
Note: i am not saying they are bad for every application and on some performance oriented vehciles they make sense but I just don't see the advantage on Any Jeep unless it is part of a modified engine and not a stocker.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not much on those Cold Air Intakes either. I like the look and the sound but I dont believe they pull more cold air than the stock box does.

ditto.......and besides my jeep got pleanty of cold air today. It was 12 degrees at high noon and will be near 0 tonight....haha

Dave

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When looking on the K&N site and finding the Liberty FIPK system.... Here is the data:

+6.36 HP @ 5274 RPM

I don't know about you but I typically don't get my KJ over 4K, even on the highway. Jumping that high in RPM's only leads to another thing --> Crappy Gas Mileage.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I hardly ever get over 4k either. Only time I do is when Im passing someone then another car comes. I usually just floor it then.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When looking on the K&N site and finding the Liberty FIPK system.... Here is the data:

+6.36 HP @ 5274 RPM

I don't know about you but I typically don't get my KJ over 4K, even on the highway. Jumping that high in RPM's only leads to another thing --> Crappy Gas Mileage.

Yea, the redline starts at 6.......that's close to redline.

Dave

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt use anything different from what the manufacturer says either, 0-20 is out for me too. mine reccomends 0-40 or 5-40 so i stick w/ 5-40, cuz AZ is a hot place and 0-40 is just silly for me. im not sure why im talking about this anymore. :D That reminds me its time to change my oil....

Latest posts

Members online