Moog lower ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats so bad about the dormans? It is what most local auto parts stores sell. I can get a set for $100 and I put a set on our 02 a few years back and they looked like OEM. Moog seems like a better choice.

I bought a Dorman for my 02 just before I got rid of it and never had a chance to put it on. It sat on the shelf for 6-7 months and when I got my 05 it had a badly torn boot on the OE passenger side. I figured what the heck and put the Dorman on. Looked pretty good at first but that boot cracked in about 8 months and 10k. Now that the drivers side is starting to crack I hope to replace both with the JBAs in the next few months. My KJ is completely stock and the UCAs are not under any stress at all. So Tom's right, it'll get you by for now, but you'll probably be changing it in a short time.

BTW don't tell Tom I said he was right, it'll go to his head... :laughing1:

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Dorman for my 02 just before I got rid of it and never had a chance to put it on. It sat on the shelf for 6-7 months and when I got my 05 it had a badly torn boot on the OE passenger side. I figured what the heck and put the Dorman on. Looked pretty good at first but that boot cracked in about 8 months and 10k. Now that the drivers side is starting to crack I hope to replace both with the JBAs in the next few months. My KJ is completely stock and the UCAs are not under any stress at all. So Tom's right, it'll get you by for now, but you'll probably be changing it in a short time.

BTW don't tell Tom I said he was right, it'll go to his head... :laughing1:

Thanks for the info. I just can't see $400+ for the JBA's.

I don't think my 07 will be lifted enough for the JBA's anyway. I should be at 20 3/4" after everything is installed.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
JBA had UCAs for lifted and stock configurations. I'll be going with the unlifted version.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just can't see $400+ for the JBA's.

I don't think my 07 will be lifted enough for the JBA's anyway. I should be at 21" after everything is installed.

I run the lifted JBA arms that came with my coilover kit sitting at 21.5 inches on the 03 with no issues.
Would not run anything else
getting a set for the 05 ( for stockers ) since only lifting it 1.5 inches to keep it low to haul elderly people LOL

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the lifted JBA arms that came with my coilover kit sitting at 21.5 inches on the 03 with no issues.
Would not run anything else
getting a set for the 05 ( for stockers ) since only lifting it 1.5 inches to keep it low to haul elderly people LOL

Lifting 1.5 inches, what will your hub to fender measurement be?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lifting 1.5 inches, what will your hub to fender measurement be?

going for about 20.5 on the 05
new stock is 19 inches the way we all measure
left front, middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare
my parents are 87 and 92 , getting harder to get them in the 03 with 2.5 inches of lift / 31s/ 4.10s and almost impossible on the 04 with 4.5 inches of lift/ 32s/4.10s etc LOL

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, how much lift is too much to use the JBA's for unlifted?

I am going for 20.5'' on my 07 for now and later if I wanted go with OME 927's and .25'' top plate I would be at 21.5'' would the JBA's for unlifted still be ok?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, how much lift is too much to use the JBA's for unlifted?

I am going for 20.5'' on my 07 for now and later if I wanted go with OME 927's and .25'' top plate I would be at 21.5'' would the JBA's for unlifted still be ok?

With 927s alone you would be at 21.5 ,
with the 1/4 inch clevis lift would make it 22 inches
JBAs for unlifted would work but the ones for lifted would be way better

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 927s alone you would be at 21.5 ,
with the 1/4 inch clevis lift would make it 22 inches
JBAs for unlifted would work but the ones for lifted would be way better

So if i'm at 20.5'' should I get the JBA's for lifted?
I'm so confused, I was reading a thread and tjkj2002 told someone that they were not lifted enough for the JBA's for lifted and I think they were at 21.5''.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So if i'm at 20.5'' should I get the JBA's for lifted?
I'm so confused, I was reading a thread and tjkj2002 told someone that they were not lifted enough for the JBA's for lifted and I think they were at 21.5''.

I'm running 2.5 inches of lift on the 03
That comes out to 21.5 overall
and running the lifted JBA arms
work fine

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked and could not find any info on how much lift is too much for stock upper control arms. And I know the JBA's for lifted can not be used on an unlifted liberty without camber issues.

What is the minimum amout of lift you can have and still use the JBA's for lifted without having alignment issues?

What is the max amount of lift I can have and use the JBA's for unlifted without issues?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignment issue will come up first. Then the angle of the joint will lead to excessive wear

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I am trying to find a point of reference for the min. and max. amount of lift heights and which JBA's a arms
to use for proper front suspension geometry.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but I am trying to find a point of reference for the min. and max. amount of lift heights and which JBA's a arms
to use for proper front suspension geometry.

Discussed many many many times
you can run the JBA lifted arms with anything over 2 inches to 4-4.5 etc
stock style JBA arms can be run up to 2.75-3 inches , but like I've posted before I have ran personally and have installed them for others at 2.5 inches ( the lifted ones) Running the stock height ones can like I posted above up to 2.75 or so, although at that height up to 3 inches it does put more stress on the ball joints
So what is the question or concern anyways

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discussed many many many times
you can run the JBA lifted arms with anything over 2 inches to 4-4.5 etc
stock style JBA arms can be run up to 2.75-3 inches , but like I've posted before I have ran personally and have installed them for others at 2.5 inches ( the lifted ones) Running the stock height ones can like I posted above up to 2.75 or so, although at that height up to 3 inches it does put more stress on the ball joints
So what is the question or concern anyways

The questions were up a couple posts.

Here
What is the minimum amout of lift you can have and still use the JBA's for lifted without having alignment issues?

What is the max amount of lift I can have and use the JBA's for unlifted without issues?

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know but then you asked "So what is the question"

And thank you for the answers!
Our 02 is at 21.5 inches and I could go with either set of the JBA's arms and they would work, and thats what I wanted to know.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I know but then you asked "So what is the question"

And thank you for the answers!
Our 02 is at 21.5 inches and I could go with either set of the JBA's arms and they would work, and thats what I wanted to know.

Go with the lifted ones

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here is why I was asking so many questions. Our 07 needs LBJ's and upper a arms. I am going to put new bilstein shocks and some used lift springs on. Springs and shocks are assembled ready to go on and I have the LBJ's as well. I should be at 20.5"- 20.75" which is 2 inches higher than it is now.
I did not think that 20.5 would be lifted enough for JBA's lifted arms to work. So I was going to get the stock JBA's. Which is what you said you are going to use on your 05.
Now, If I don't like the lift or the 245/75/16's I have to go on it give me issues with the esp/abs, I can remove the lift and keep the stock JBA's on it. Or I could put the JBA's arms on our 02 which is lifted to 21.5 and they would work properly on it as well.