Moog lower ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the Moog lower ball joint k3199 and k80767?
Some of the sites say k3199 fits 02-07.
Some say the k3199 won't fit my 07.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after some searching, I found the answer.
The 2005-2007 Jeep Liberty uses the Moog K80767 lower ball joint. Length 4.54 inches.
The 2002-2004 Jeep Liberty uses the Moog K3199 lower ball joint. Length 4.23 inches
I almost ordered the K3199 for my 07. I assumed they were all the same for 02-07.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valuable bit of information.. I too notice different part numbers.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
and yet there is no difference in any of the parts that the LBJ comes into contact with from 02-07

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and yet there is no difference in any of the parts that the LBJ comes into contact with from 02-07

I wonder why they felt the need to extend the balljoint (I presume just the stud) by 1/4"... it already fits fine as is.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the k3199 ball joints, based on tommudds recommendation, in my 05, and they work just fine for what it’s worth

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why there is a difference. The info on the length is from Moogs web site.

Now I cant find the bushings for the steering rack for my 07.
I am trying to get all the parts I need for the front end. I plan on installing everthing at once.

Last edited:

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you planning to do the other bushing in the front, like the lower control arm bushings?

I am interested to see how pressing them out and new ones in would go.

I noticed mine are cracked and chunks are falling out of the shock bushing on one side, and I am debating pressing old out and new in or just getting a new LCA complete with bushing already in it.

I would be renting one of the bushing removal tools (giant c clamp looking dealie) from a local autozone or wherever.

I think my main concern would be breaking my stock LCA while pressing the bushings, forcing me to spend the money on a new one anyway.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you planning to do the other bushing in the front, like the lower control arm bushings?

I noticed mine are cracked and chunks are falling out of the shock bushing on one side, and I am debating pressing old out and new in or just getting a new LCA complete with bushing already in it.

I would be renting one of the bushing removal tools (giant c clamp looking dealie) from a local autozone or wherever.

I think my main concern would be breaking my stock LCA while pressing the bushings, forcing me to spend the money on a new one anyway.

For now I am going to replace front shocks and springs, upper a arms, lower ball joints and one of the steering rack
bushings.
If I needed to replace the LCA bushings I would just go ahead and buy new LCA's with the bushings already installed.

Last edited:

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tried using the rental tool to do exactly that - It won’t make a dent on those bushing and won’t have all the fittings necessary either. It’s a shop-only job, this coming from an avid diyer. Much much much easier to get full lca replacement. If not, then you have to find a shop that CAN do bushing installs correctly and pay shop fees etc. it comes out about the same cost but with a day or two extra down time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why there is a difference. The info on the length is from Moogs web site.

Now I cant find the bushings for the steering rack for my 07.
I am trying to get all the parts I need for the front end. I plan on installing everthing at once.

Don’t know if they’re the same as the bushings for the 05, but I have two laying around here, I bought them with a new rack to replace it all, and the new rack also came with new bushings.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower ball joints arrived today MOOG-K80767. Now to decide which brand upper control arms to get. I can't see getting the JBA's, I'm sure they are the best but also alot more money. I was thinking of Moog or Dorman.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lower ball joints arrived today MOOG-K80767. Now to decide which brand upper control arms to get. I can't see getting the JBA's, I'm sure they are the best but also alot more money. I was thinking of Moog or Dorman.

In the long run WELL worth it, rebuildable ball joints etc

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've used the Dorman... get the JBAs.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats so bad about the dormans? It is what most local auto parts stores sell. I can get a set for $100 and I put a set on our 02 a few years back and they looked like OEM. Moog seems like a better choice.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried using the rental tool to do exactly that - It won’t make a dent on those bushing and won’t have all the fittings necessary either. It’s a shop-only job, this coming from an avid diyer. Much much much easier to get full lca replacement. If not, then you have to find a shop that CAN do bushing installs correctly and pay shop fees etc. it comes out about the same cost but with a day or two extra down time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any tool you rent will not work unless you are very lucky

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Whats so bad about the dormans? It is what most local auto parts stores sell. I can get a set for $100 and I put a set on our 02 a few years back and they looked like OEM. Moog seems like a better choice.

Most sell little pine trees as well :rotflmao:
doesn't mean they are good
buying dormans is like buying Monroe shocks , will get you by for now
Hookers even look good at midnight

Members online

No members online now.