Minimum offset with 8" rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not real happy with the 7" Renegade wheels on the 265/70 tires I have. They suck in the sidewalls a bit more than I would like. Not bad, but I'm pretty **** about that. So, I'm looking at possibly new rims in the future. I have seen a few online with around 3 1/2" bs. Will that kick the tires out too far and cause rubbing issues? I have been searching for Moabs, but they are getting tough to find, at least in the aluminum finish. Don't care for the painted ones.
As usual, any help is appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not real happy with the 7" Renegade wheels on the 265/70 tires I have. They suck in the sidewalls a bit more than I would like. Not bad, but I'm pretty **** about that. So, I'm looking at possibly new rims in the future. I have seen a few online with around 3 1/2" bs. Will that kick the tires out too far and cause rubbing issues? I have been searching for Moabs, but they are getting tough to find, at least in the aluminum finish. Don't care for the painted ones.
As usual, any help is appreciated.

3.5 inch backspacing is way too much. 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing or 8 inch wide with 5 inches of backspacing sits the tire and wheel to the edge of the flare
Unless you want the low riding tuner look with the wheels/ tires sticking out past the flares 1.5 inches with lots of rubbing when trying to turn , I'd stick with what works and has been proven to work

Not the best picture but shows 501s maroon KJ with 7 inch wide-4 inches of backspacing, 3.75 inches of lift and 245-75-16s
and mine with 8 inch wide-5 inches of backspacing ( Moabs)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Sidekick had 245/75 Duratracs on 16x8" rims with 3.75 backspacing, but also had 1 1/2" spacers necessary for clearance and also helped for stability. They definitely stuck out a bit, but I wouldn't exactly call it the "tuner" look......

The downside is getting rain and mud thrown up the sides of the vehicle. So, my main question is will 3.5 to 4.5 in. backspacing work without clearance issues? If they stick out a little, it won't bother me. There are some guys running around out here with Toyota's on ton's that must stick out a foot on each side. :icon_lol:

Like I said, I prefer natural finish Moabs, but can't find any without paying a fortune, so just searching for other options in the aftermarket.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My Sidekick had 245/75 Duratracs on 16x8" rims with 3.75 backspacing, but also had 1 1/2" spacers necessary for clearance and also helped for stability. They definitely stuck out a bit, but I wouldn't exactly call it the "tuner" look......

The downside is getting rain and mud thrown up the sides of the vehicle. So, my main question is will 3.5 to 4.5 in. backspacing work without clearance issues? If they stick out a little, it won't bother me. There are some guys running around out here with Toyota's on ton's that must stick out a foot on each side. :icon_lol:

Like I said, I prefer natural finish Moabs, but can't find any without paying a fortune, so just searching for other options in the aftermarket.

Like I mentioned before there will be rubbing issues, lots of difference between Jacked up Toyotas on tons and a KJ
KJs don't have that much room in the wheelwells for larger tires, when you turn with wider backspacing then it will rub front and back

Plus the more the wheels sit out the more bumpstop you'll have to run. Mine with Moabs and 265-75s will still tuck, although close, but with just 2.5 inches of bumpstop in the rear. Go with the wheels you are suggesting and you'll need 3 inches or more than likely even more

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't by any stretch trying to compare slightly lifted KJ's to SAS Toyota's on 37's. Just mentioned them, among others around here that have tires that stick out a bunch. Looks like my search for reasonably priced Moabs will continue.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that yeah some vehicles look "cool" with the wheels sticking out a bunch but this can also cause strain on the axles...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't by any stretch trying to compare slightly lifted KJ's to SAS Toyota's on 37's. Just mentioned them, among others around here that have tires that stick out a bunch. Looks like my search for reasonably priced Moabs will continue.

Some build for what they think looks cool
Had a bunch of them where I lived before, 10 inches of lift on their Diesels with 35 inch tires on 10 inch wheels and 3 inches of backspacing :icon_lol:
Kind of ridiculous, could of regeared, ran proper backspaced wheels, installed 38s-40s, upgraded diffs, and then maybe had something
Oh well to each his own I prefer to build them to run 100,000 plus miles instead of 10,000

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

That's with 15x8 rims with 4" of BS with 35x13.50x15 Toyo's mounted and yeah my axles are 3"(rear)-5"(front) wider then stock.

Built right from the get go :gr_grin:

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's with 15x8 rims with 4" of BS with 35x13.50x15 Toyo's mounted and yeah my axles are 3"(rear)-5"(front) wider then stock.

That's why I said "some" vehicles look cool like that and it seems as though your KJ fits in the category of looking good like that :gr_grin:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that yeah some vehicles look "cool" with the wheels sticking out a bunch but this can also cause strain on the axles...

Not true at all....

The stress of the wheel, no matter the backspace, is transferred 100% to the hub bearings. This "stress" doesn't transfer to the axles whatsoever, it's solely isolated to the hub bearing. Increasing rolling mass by adding heavy wheels and tires is what will put your axles under more stress (actually it's the cv joints that become more stressed, but let's not get picky).

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true at all....

The stress of the wheel, no matter the backspace, is transferred 100% to the hub bearings. This "stress" doesn't transfer to the axles whatsoever, it's solely isolated to the hub bearing. Increasing rolling mass by adding heavy wheels and tires is what will put your axles under more stress (actually it's the cv joints that become more stressed, but let's not get picky).

Thats what I ment I just didnt wat to get technical :happy175:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear, my question about backspacing had nothing whatsoever to do with looking "cool". Just want to know if there would be rubbing issues with less spacing. Yes, a deep offset is rough on the bearings over time, but this KJ doesn't see many miles, so that is a very minor concern. I've owned it 3 months and put less than 800 miles on it since it is not our primary vehicle. Plus I'm not putting 10's on it with 2" backspacing like this guy.....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To be clear, my question about backspacing had nothing whatsoever to do with looking "cool". Just want to know if there would be rubbing issues with less spacing. Yes, a deep offset is rough on the bearings over time, but this KJ doesn't see many miles, so that is a very minor concern. I've owned it 3 months and put less than 800 miles on it since it is not our primary vehicle. Plus I'm not putting 10's on it with 2" backspacing like this guy.....

never mind ...deleted
mentioned several times they would cause rubbing issues ...............

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not asking the question if they will rub again, just trying to get it across that I don't care if they stick out much and won't put enough miles on it to worry about stress. In fact I said I am looking for Moab's. :Insane:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moving them out further can actually increase rubbing. You have to look at the arc the edges of the tire travel in. I went through measuring and re measuring when I was searching for wheels for mine and is why I ended up going with the moabs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was not asking the question if they will rub again, just trying to get it across that I don't care if they stick out much and won't put enough miles on it to worry about stress. In fact I said I am looking for Moab's. :Insane:

Buy them
install them
deal with the rubbing issues
and loss of flex
if you want something no need to keep asking
just do it :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Moving them out further can actually increase rubbing. You have to look at the arc the edges of the tire travel in. I went through measuring and re measuring when I was searching for wheels for mine and is why I ended up going with the moabs.

Some don't realize the hours we put in on various setups be it wheels/lifts / whatever do they :happy175::happy175:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some don't realize the hours we put in on various setups be it wheels/lifts / whatever do they :happy175::happy175:

Did you not read the part where I said I will just look for Moabs.........TWICE IN THIS THREAD?!? :shrug:

If not, revert to post #'s 5 and 15, or just continue trying to make others look stupid with your childish laughing smilies. :emotions34:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you not read the part where I said I will just look for Moabs.........TWICE IN THIS THREAD?!? :shrug:

If not, revert to post #'s 5 and 15, or just continue trying to make others look stupid with your childish laughing smilies. :emotions34:

Used to be we all could have fun, hassle one another and get things done
Guess I'll go to "its a jeep kj thing " for a few days :ROFLJest:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online