Milky sludge in oil filler neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
don't be knockin Princess Auto, it's where I get my free coffee just about every morning lol
Jeez most people meet & get their coffee every morning at Tim Horton's in Ont, there is one every couple of blocks.
So you hang out at Princess and they offer free coffee while shopping, I like that.

desync0:
I really have no idea what ToolsNThings is like, you could go & check em out... could be a small store front as a net mail order, for all I know.
Their pdf flyer is impressive though. (prices high?)

Last edited:

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked them up on google maps, I knew where they are, I drove my semi by it 4 times a night on a previous run.

I think they go by a different name, they're in the same building as an small engine/equipment place.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the PCV valve being the probable culprit. I never used to have that milky sludge on mine, but two oil changes ago I noticed it. I went ahead and got a PCV valve just to do during my next oil change. When I replaced the old PCV valve, it was so plugged up you couldn't make it rattle. All sticky and full of gunk too. I haven't done an oil change since I replaced it, but next chance I get I'll take a look and see if the milky goo is gone.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sludge ? me too

I also had the sludge when I boughgt my liberty .
changed to synthetic oil and the pcv valve .
there is still sludge, but a LOT LESS of it . I have also started taking an extra ten to fifteen minutes to let the engine warm up in cold weather .
I'll be due for another oil change soon (again synthetic ) and I'll check the pcv at the same time.
maybe even replace it, since it's only twelve dollars at my local dealer ship. and I'll try to remember to post my findings.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my pcv is still the original at 145k lol i think ill replace it soon...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya my pcv is still the original at 145k lol i think ill replace it soon...

You could get one and a 6-pak and still have change left over.....:party52:

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe thats why I never have any of the sludge in mine, I change the PCV every 20-25,000 miles, well every time I swap out spark plugs
its all cheap and easy

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early and late model KJ's have this problem of moisture buildup in the PCV system. When cold the moisture in the PCV valve itself freezes rendering it inoperable. The fix includes a new filler neck, hoses for re-routing, a new PCV valve, new resonator cap, new system diagram sticker, and an authorized modification label for the gov.:mexsmoke:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early and late model KJ's have this problem of moisture buildup in the PCV system. When cold the moisture in the PCV valve itself freezes rendering it inoperable. The fix includes a new filler neck, hoses for re-routing, a new PCV valve, new resonator cap, new system diagram sticker, and an authorized modification label for the gov.:mexsmoke:

what ive never heard of that, thats insane

Adamthe3rd

Reaction score
I live in washington and have 3 vehicles with the 3.7 (the other 2 being a 04 ram 1500 and 08 dakota) The dodges have done this since new, both have 120,000+ miles now and have never had a problem. The jeep was bought used and it does it as well, it was bought with 80k and now has 140k. Just drive it.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought mine was pretty good about it too until I took out the splash guard in there last oil change. Wasn't a lot, but it definitely had a little goo under there. I run mobile 1 synthetic 5w 30 and change it around 4K every time.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and only 56,000 miles. Anyway, had a concern the other day because I opened the oil filler neck and there is a layer of milky white sludge coating it. The dipstick shows clean oil so I am thinking maybe it's a breathing problem because doesn't this usually denote moisture of some sort in the oil?
I'm in the same boat. Just turned 50K on my 2005. On my last oil change, I noticed a white sludge in the filler tube. I was somewhat aware of the problem before hand, but I had never seen it before. It suprised me.

It looked very similar to these, only much more white and much "cleaner" looking. I should have taken pictures of mine.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

If it's really cold when that is happening and consistently, it might have something to do with the pcv valve freezing up as described in the tsb
Seems to be some have it some don't
Me I have never had it on mine and have done a few oil changes where they were full
Nothing to worry about clean it out and forget it
just the cold air hitting the plastic oil filler neck
I would tend to think this is the cause. I've owned it since 15K miles and I am VERY meticulous with my vehicles. I'm a detailer, so everything is always clean and everything listed in the maintenance manual is replaced on a regular basis. I check my fluid levels weekly, etc... I use Mobil 1 0W-30 (or 5W-30) and a Mobil 1 EP filter since I got it, changed every 5K. I drive 10 miles to work one way, so it has plenty of time to run at operating temp. I also just replaced the PCV at 30K. I honstley don't know what else can be done to prevent it.

I have never had it before, but we have had an unusually cold winter this year and when I went to do the oil change last week, I seen a similar situation to the pictures above. I guess it is because of the bad PCV design. We would go several days without getting above freezing. Pulled the splash guard and it was everywhere. I cleaned it all out and pulled the PCV valve and hose from the bay and cleaned those out. The PCV hole in the tube was caked with sludge. There is no way the PCV system was working. The valve was clogged and the PCV tube had milky, sludgy oil in it.

After cleaning it, I have ran it for a week. I pulled the splash guard again and some more sludge had formed and was starting to go into the PCV hole. I cleaned it back out and was hoping it was just some of the remaining moisture or something. I'll check again in a week.

I guess the take home point is that even thought it is a normal flaw with some of the 3.7L, more care is needed. If it is let go for a fairly short amount of time, the PCV gets clogged and I know it isn't working. During the cold months, pulling the splash guard from the filler tube and inspecting/cleaning it will be a weekly addition for me along with checking the fluids and tire pressure.

Climate has nothing to do with it,mine has never done it once in 9 years and and has been in South Dakota,Washington,and Colorado,all which have drasticly different climates.
I would think temperature would have something to do with it. I've never had the problem until we went weeks this winter below freezing. I don't think temp is the only cause, but I think it is a contributing factor.

Last edited:

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a milky foam like this I would change an oil BRAND first. It could be that antifoam addictives aren't effecient in Mobil One.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a milky foam like this I would change an oil BRAND first. It could be that antifoam addictives aren't effecient in Mobil One.

its not the oil or anything else besides the setup of this plastic filler tube and the pcv valve. That's what it is.

:beatdeadhorse5:

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then why didn't it do it the previous 30,000 miles on Mobil 1?

Why just in the last 5,000?

Other people on here use Mobil 1 and havn't seen the problem yet and may not ever have it. I don't think it is the oil brand.

It seems to be a crappy PCV design along plus really cold weather from me.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does say in the TSB that moisture accumulates in the line and PCV and the plastic spout. The TSB is referring to a frozen PCV but the fix addresses the moisture problem that creates it. The fix according to Chrysler is a newly designed Plastic spout and re-routing the hose. It is natural for an engine to have more blow-by as the rings and or cylinders wear and that might explain why some are only happening now and not when they bought the Jeep. Not all engines are created equal at the factory regarding blow-by or how well the rings seated, and many people don't break in there engines properly creating more blow-by. Temperature and condensation are directly related and will definatley have affect if you have the problem to start. I don’t have it in mine but that doesn’t say anything about the future.