Milk in very top of oil tube and condensation on oil cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ineedabouttreefiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
checked my oil today and it was low so i went to top it off and found milky oil in the resivior and condensation on the oil cap. ive been trying my best to look up the causes of milky oil deposits on the top of my reservior on here; some have come close, others not so much. Basically what im trying to find out is; is it a big problem? i have about a 14 mile drive to work everyday and i live in ann arbor michigan where currently its been 24 at 6 in the morning and up to 50 on my drive home at 4pm. my mechanic friend said its normal for the winter and especially in mopar vehicles and that my engine isnt getting hot enough. does this fall under the category of insufficent heating of the oil? some thing that might help you pro's (who i appreciate and thank for helping)

Newer motor installed (90k) 1000 miles ago. Valvoline 5w-30 premium. new sparklers.
Any help is appreciated (tjkj2002 im looking for you on this one, you havent let me down yet)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Whole discussion on this last week or so. Pretty normal if you do short drives and don't get the engine warmed up enough and blow the cobwebs out every few days.
Nothing you can do really it just happens is all to some
Have never found it in mine but someone said I didn't live where it was cold enough so:shrug: LMAO!!

ineedabouttreefiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea sorry im notorious for making a tread and then getting called out by a senior member for "not searching it first" which i did search this time. just didnt know if it applied differently to a newer drop in motor. i just have never heard of it and like i said im driving 14 miles (left out the fact that its a 20 minute drive, just kinda figured it should have been warm enough) and that its a newer motor and wasnt sure if that could be part of the problem. Thanks tomm, you helped me ease my mind, appreciate it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Thats it,
take the long way home every night
and enjoy the ride knowing your KJ will love you more ha ha

Tom

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems a 14 mile drive is far enough and long enough to dry out any moisture. I would start looking at caskets. Moisture and/or anti-freeze in the oil is not good for your engine. imho

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems a 14 mile drive is far enough and long enough to dry out any moisture. I would start looking at caskets. Moisture and/or anti-freeze in the oil is not good for your engine. imho
I think it is a common issue and nothing that needs to be too worried about.

My stock 2005 3.7L does the same thing. 10.5 mile drive to work, takes 15 minutes and I do a 5 minute warm-up. So, it gets 20 minutes of run time. I also take a bit longer drive home from work. I run Mobil 1 0W-30 and I take very good care of my Jeep. PCV has been changed, etc...

It doesn't matter. Nothing I have done so far has helped. During the winter months, I get the same thing. Nothing during the summer months.

I think it is simply condensation that builds up in the plastic filler tube as the motor warms and the cold air hits it.

I normally wouldn't care much about it, but it clogs the PCV valve hole. That can't be good for gas mileage and only compounds the problem.

I have no solution yet, though. It is a design flaw.

The one thing I want to try to do is wrap the filler tube with header wrap or something similar to see if that will cut down on the amount of moisture build-up. I'm hoping it helps the filler tube warm up quicker. We'll see. I plan on doing it in a couple of thousand miles when I do the 60k services.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your description of milky oil is what gives me pause here. Deposits on the filler tube and cap are faily normal, especially in the winter, but if the oil itself looks milky, I'd be concerned about cross-contamination from the coolant which could indicate a bad head gasket. I get deposits on the filler cap but the oil has always looked clear. Sorry to be alarmist.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your description of milky oil is what gives me pause here. Deposits on the filler tube and cap are faily normal, especially in the winter, but if the oil itself looks milky, I'd be concerned about cross-contamination from the coolant which could indicate a bad head gasket. I get deposits on the filler cap but the oil has always looked clear. Sorry to be alarmist.
I have some images that show what I'm talking about. I don't think it is coolant leaking into the oil system. For one, I've never experienced a loss of coolant. I've never had to top up. It has always sat on the full line. Second, this doesn't happen during the warm/hot months. If it was coolant leak, it would happen all year around. Third, I have read about this being a common issue with the 3.7L on here and LOST. Lastly, the build-up goes away, even during winter months, when I take longer drives. It is just when I do my 20 min drives that it builds up. It just doesn't have enough time to remove all of that moisture.

As you can see, it looks like moisture mixes with the oil film and forms a build-up on the walls of the tube. Then, the PCV ***** it up and gets clogged, which makes the problem worse. As you can see in one picture, water droplets are falling off of the filler guard as I old it over the air filter housing. When it is colder, there filler tube seems to be a container for moisture.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK fair enough. I must have misinterpreted your opening post.

My filler tube actually looks similar, although I have somewhat less milky sludge- I clean it out every oil change and check the PCV to make sure it isn't clogged.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK fair enough. I must have misinterpreted your opening post.

My filler tube actually looks similar, although I have somewhat less milky sludge- I clean it out every oil change and check the PCV to make sure it isn't clogged.
Yeah, I'm trying to see if OP is talking about is the common issue or not. Trying to give him an idea of what the common problem is.

I generally have a little less as well, most of the time is it more white, but that was one where it was very cold with several short trips as well as a heavier oil. I try to clean mine out every week or two during the winter.

I hate it.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited: