2002 Liberty Oil Filler ... Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

egoode

Reaction score
I was adding oil to my wife's 2002 Liberty and found this plastic part broken into several pieces in the filler neck. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was adding oil to my wife's 2002 Liberty and found this plastic part broken into several pieces in the filler neck. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks

That's not plastic. Its oil snot. Condensation builds up in that filler neck and makes a foamy mess with the oil. If you make a lot of short trips and don't warm up the engine real good it is worse. Normally it's just a little amount but yours looks to be more extreme. It happens more when its cold. Its the same effect it has on your nose when it's cold out. Your nose builds up the moisture and if you're not careful it can drip for example. Same thing with this filler neck. Just wipe it out and forget about it. Try not to make short trips.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and one more thing. you might want to change the pcv valve just in case. it is probably all gunked up too. Take it out and shake it. If it doesn't rattle like a can of spray paint get a new one. If you don't know how old it is, change it anyway.

egoode

Reaction score
Actually the picture is generic off the internet. Inside of the filler neck is some kind of baffle (the oil snot is on it in the pic). I found this part (about 6 inches long) broken in pieces in the filler, had to remove the pieces to get oil to go in.

egoode

Reaction score
Here is a picture>

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Jeep Oil 004.jpg
    Jeep Oil 004.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Jeep Oil 003.jpg
    Jeep Oil 003.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 61

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is just a splash guard that slides in and out of the filler neck. Junkyard or dealer is probably your best bet for a replacement.

Dave

egoode

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, have changed the oil many times and never really noticed this part, had a dealer replace the oil pan 3 months ago, maybe they loosened it.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, have changed the oil many times and never really noticed this part, had a dealer replace the oil pan 3 months ago, maybe they loosened it.

Well the splash guard is ment to come out and just sits in there and doesn't lock in. If you have a build up of the "oil snot" on it and let sit there for along period of time with out cleaning the residue can cause the splash guard to stick and can cause it to break when you try to pull it out. (which might of happened at the dealer) i had one break on my 02KJ b/c the previous own never took care of it.

If you switch over to Full-synthetic oil the residue will be significantly less. I would still pull the splash guard out every oil change and clean it.

I been running full synthetic for years now after noticing the residue when i 1st bought my KJ and maybe now I get a really thin film of it on the cap and that's it. i changed my oil every 6 months.

Last edited:

egoode

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I had been running synthetic until the oil pan developed rust holes. Since having the dealer change the pan there is still a leak, was 3 months ago so no warranty. I have been working in another state and am trying to straighten this problem out. The Liberty has been a great vehicle for my wife, almost 200,000 miles and we have always kept up with maintenance. However, due to the economy, our dealer went out of business and we are now dealing with another one.

I'll replace the part ASAP and find the leak so I can resume use of synthetic oil. Thanks again to all of you for your help. I haven't used a forum site before and am really amazed at the responses in such a short time. Great site.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Encourage her to let it warm up fully before making a trip, even if it's a short one, that will help burn off some of the moisture in the system.

egoode

Reaction score
Update. Ordered the Oil Filler Baffle from dealer yesterday ($2.00) and replaced PCV Valve. I'm thinking the way this piece collapsed it could have allowed more oil vapor than usual to escape through the PCV system and caused the oil loss I noticed; will update and let you know. Will be switching back to Mobil 1 Asap. Again, thanks for all the input.

AmeepThing

Reaction score
this actually helped me out because i was just about to post a thread asking what the hell that snot mess was
i was worried that i had a blown head gasket...

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many pieces and how big a pieces fell into the engine? Dose the oil pump have a pick up screen? Does the oil fill drop strait to the crankcase or does it utilize engine oil path orifices? I don't know the answers to these but I would find out. Not trying to scare you but that adds a pucker factor.

egoode

Reaction score
Only broken in half ( I posted pics) , I was also worried, but the pieces fit together tight so I got all of it. Didn't actually fall into engine, just collapsed. Will have the new one from the dealer Tuesday.