Weird stuff in oil filler....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the subject says:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Any ideas on what the h#ll this stuff is?

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that looks like foaming from standard oil. Drive more, that's usually the result of short distance trips. Or go synthetic oil.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Yup, that looks like foaming from standard oil. Drive more, that's usually the result of short distance trips. Or go synthetic oil.

Thanks for the responses guys.

That's weird that you say that Trodo......This is my wife's Jeep and she drives it alot, 23,000 miles in one year. Round trip to work and home is about 50 miles, so it might not be caused by that. Other than short distance trips, what else could cause the foaming?

But if it is foaming from standard oil, I guess I'll have to start using synthetic in it.

twinlibbies

Reaction score
I have the same thing in both of my Libertys. I just had it at the dealer and they told me that is is from moisture. They said it is pretty common in the 3.7L motor in our area(because of the weather), because of the location of the filler neck. I had them change the oil and they added some additive that is supposed to keep it from happening. The additive cost $16 all by itself so I hope it works. I used to have a Bronco II that had the same type of filler neck for the oil, and it had the same stuff inside.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that same buildup with standard oil.

Not that bad, but still present.

Switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic, no more foam. Looks like dino fat to me.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too was getting it when I first bought my Liberty, and the weather wasn't bad, just regular oil, and my short trips of under 10 miles, once going to sythentic, have not seen it. But I wouldn't think it's harmful, just gross.
At the worse, it might evenutally clog up you pcv valve.

Dofricky

Reaction score
This is the combination of water and oil that has emulsified. then condensed on the filler cap. Emulsification of oil and water cannot be prevented, and additives and synthetics will just make your wallet thinner.
Wipe it off with a shop rag at every oil change...... Nothing to worry about. (libblack)

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valvoline..

I go to Valvoline.. and get the 50/50 blend.. everytime I see them look at this foam.. scratch heads, show another.. they clean it off and go.. I have 9,000 miles on my 05 libby.. last time I was in.. the girl said to me you have a dent in your oil pan.. no big deal she said you prolly bottomed out.. I drove off.. 1/2 down the road I was freaking.. thinking.. I had a rubicon before this.. and this libbys higher.. I never go off road.. or even hop curbs.. when I got home.. I crawled under.. oil pan is so new it still has stickers on it from the factory... they must have confused my jeep with the POS ford tempo in the next bay over.. god these people make me nervous..

Latest posts

Members online