Mechanical Problems with KJ in Cold Weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble with their KJ in the cold? When its cold, my tire sensors act up, the front struts (which are brand new) freeze up and make noise when I go over bumps, and the engine idles rough. Just wondering if anyone else has problems like these.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all vehicles do that when cold out. It just depends on how cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine starts doing this when its around 50 degrees out, and has done this since new.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does it worry about the spare so much too? The spare is the biggest problem I have with warning lights.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does it worry about the spare so much too? The spare is the biggest problem I have with warning lights.
What's the point in having a spare if it's low on air? If you get a flat and your spare is flat your SOL then and paying for a tow.

I do not have TPMS but I do check my tire pressures every week,the 4 tires on the ground are set to 27psi and my spare is set to the max rated psi(35psi),granted I run 35" tires so not the same pressures required by stock sized tires on a KJ.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
TPMS is a headache. So glad my KJ is an 04 without it.
Cold weather and tune ups go hand in hand. New spark plugs/quality synthetic engine oil/new air filter/clean the IAC and throttle body. In winter I use the chevron 94 octane fuel that does not contain ethanol. I bet you will find the engine purr like a kitten then.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In winter I use the chevron 94 octane fuel that does not contain ethanol. I bet you will find the engine purr like a kitten then.

ANY pre-2007/non-flex fuel vehicle will run better with ethanol free gas - regardless of the time of year. Friend with a 2002 3.7 KJ says he sees at least 1 1/2 mpg difference between straight gas and the ethanol crap.

Some states like NC no longer require any labeling on the pump as to the amount of ethanol blended in - so the distributers can get a little heavy-handed as to how much they blend in (and how much of a tax credit they get from the feds) - such that you don't really know what percentage of ethanol you're getting - one consumer group did some random testing in NC and SC, and found stations selling gas with upwards of 40% ethanol to unknowing customers.

One small reason I'm glad both my vehicles are oil burners.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ethanol content should be regulated properly and be disclosed at pumps by law.
I can see future damage to engines if mixed above 20%.
Luckily many of the stations here are now being mandated to disclose ethanol content.
Ethanol likes to absorb moisture and in winter (due to greater condensation) can be a problem without a water remover additive. Thus the reason I keep the tank full and use an ethanol free gasoline.
Even though I appreciate greater torque & mileage with a diesel, the maintenance required is not favourable often. Gov'ts should have removed all sulfer content of diesel by now. I hate vehicles ahead which burn particulate matter in a fashion that is not clean burning. Bio Diesel is improving air qualities though.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
PLUS
I highly doubt that your front "SHOCKS" are freezing up :happy175:
more than likely its a common problem for some with the sway bar bushings making a noise, little silicone spray and all is good

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PLUS
I highly doubt that your front "SHOCKS" are freezing up :happy175:
more than likely its a common problem for some with the sway bar bushings making a noise, little silicone spray and all is good

x2. They always act up in the cold. Put some silicone spray under there and she's smooth over bumps.

I'd say everything you're experiencing is normal. None of which are "Mechanical Problems."