Maybe another Libby but manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chanwmr

Reaction score
Van is getting old and I love the Libbies that we have had. I'm thinking about maybe getting another one. I've come across a decent 2007 in manual. Does anyone have an opinion on a KJ with a manual transmission? Thank you in advance.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thread title shouldn't be "but manual", it should read "AND it's a manual"! :favorites37:
But if you don't like rowing gears, or have a gimp left leg, or plan on towing a large Airstream trailer, then you might want to rethink a manual.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my manual. But throttle by wire may be a different beast. It has definitely helped me numerous times off road.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The throttle by wire and manuals don't get along as well , especially when lifted , one of the older members on LOST had all kinds of issues and finally traded it in. Dealer couldn't figure it out at the time

chanwmr

Reaction score
Oh, just to be clear, I do manual just fine. I had had several of them and I often miss driving one dearly. So, I figure this may be the right time!

When I said "but", it's only because all the Libbies I came across have been automatic. There has been nothing "but"... (with the exception of maybe 1)

What I was asking really is its reliability, maintainability and drivability. Not all stick drives are the same.

When it comes to drivability, some nowadays are so "drivable" that the clutch hardly had to be touched at all. Not really what I would call standard. On the flip side, I don't really want to drive an old U-Haul either -- at least on a daily basis.

So, how about it? Give me your experience and opinions! Please! :)

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running a 6spd manual here... wouldn't have it any other way :gr_grin:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, just to be clear, I do manual just fine. I had had several of them and I often miss driving one dearly. So, I figure this may be the right time!

When I said "but", it's only because all the Libbies I came across have been automatic. There has been nothing "but"... (with the exception of maybe 1)

What I was asking really is its reliability, maintainability and drivability. Not all stick drives are the same.

When it comes to drivability, some nowadays are so "drivable" that the clutch hardly had to be touched at all. Not really what I would call standard. On the flip side, I don't really want to drive an old U-Haul either -- at least on a daily basis.

So, how about it? Give me your experience and opinions! Please! :)

If I understand you correctly... the clutch throw is LONG. The gear to gear shift is LONG. It's not a WRX with a short shift haha. First gear you blow through in 3-4 seconds after take off due to low gears. It is drive-able but its still a Jeep.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Jeep manual is one of the easiest I've driven, Almost 200k and never had a problem, Replaced clutch and slave cylinder at 150k.

I thought with that mileage and both kids learning to drive on it along with towing a pop-up it would be worn but it still had lots of life to it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my clutch at about 130k miles. The disc still had a little life left, it was the release bearing that toasted. Your clutch life results will vary, depending on the type of miles that was put on it. The clutch is effortless, and you don't need to go anywhere near the floor with the pedal to change gears, mine just needs a slight tap to disengage.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The throttle by wire and manuals don't get along as well , especially when lifted , one of the older members on LOST had all kinds of issues and finally traded it in. Dealer couldn't figure it out at the time

I thought the same thing after I bought it, then I figured out two thing with mine. One Clutch is aftermarket since the pedal is as tight as a Big Rigs. Second, you have to reteach your timing skills when shifting gears on the Drive By Wire. You can't even feel me shift gears I'm that smooth with the drive by wire. Third, since its an 07' he'll enjoy having to do the tradition of slightly pushing the stick to the right as he shifts to sixth gear, learned my lesson the first time I tried to shift to 6th and ended up in fourth with a jumpy surprise.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw... the manual's 3.55 ratio is a compromise. Its almost too deep - making 1st gear nearly redundant - yet too shallow for good towing numbers.

Choose your axle ratio and tire size accordingly.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw... the manual's 3.55 ratio is a compromise. Its almost too deep - making 1st gear nearly redundant - yet too shallow for good towing numbers.

Shift at 2k rpm and take your time doing it, avoids the frog hop. Though I rarely use First except for uphill take off.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

3.55? Mine is 3.73. However you are right about 1st gear. I can take off in 2nd gear without having to bring the RPM's very high. Plus 3500# is not terrible for a small manual Jeep in my opinion. However my Titan can pull 10K# which was another reason I bought it.

OldJoe

Reaction score
I have 115K on my '03. No problems. I'm 68 and I've never owned an automatic. I think those automatics are a passing fad. Another couple of years and automatics won't even be around.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.55? Mine is 3.73. However you are right about 1st gear. I can take off in 2nd gear without having to bring the RPM's very high. Plus 3500# is not terrible for a small manual Jeep in my opinion. However my Titan can pull 10K# which was another reason I bought it.

At temps 20 or colder, I can do a standing third gear take off without issues.

Latest posts

Members online