Magnetic Drain Plug for ****** & Oil Pans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand it's a good idea to add a magnetic drain plug to the transmission pan to collect metal shavings and to make fluid changes easier. What about changing the oil pan plug to a magnetic one? Is that better than the standard, or overkill?

Use the same size plug for the ****** as the one on the oil pan? My mechanic wants to put a plug on the stock pan, rather than have me buy an after market pan that has a plug. He's worried that the Skid Row ****** skid plate won't fit over an after market pan, or be much more difficult to service when the skid plate's on.

Whata you think? Any product recommendations or links?

Thanks,

Jim

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine oil has the best filtration system of anything on the vehicle, but if a mag plug makes you feel better, go for it.

I've welded a threaded drain to every auto trans pan I've owned over the past 30 years. If the service tech you plan to use wants it that way, follow his recommendations. If you don't trust his recommendations, you should probably find someone else to begin with.

Bob

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I haven't looked into availability for Libertys but there's a company named "Dimple" that makes magnetic drain plugs for almost anything.

My crd has a magnet inside the transmission that sticks to the pan.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've toiled with the thoughts of doing a magnet on the oil filter, doing research it seems to be a fifty fifty on using magnets for drain plugs, filters and pans. Half say do it, half say don't.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the service tech you plan to use wants it that way, follow his recommendations. If you don't trust his recommendations, you should probably find someone else to begin with.
I do trust him. Sorry if what I wrote made it sound like I didn't.

I haven't looked into availability for Libertys but there's a company named "Dimple" that makes magnetic drain plugs for almost anything.
As far as I know, the stock ****** pan on a 2005 KJ doesn't have a plug. Dimple drain plugs are the most expensive of all the plugs I looked at. But then, they seem to have the strongest magnets of any plugs.

Thanks,

Jim

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember right,the stock pan does has ribbed magnets inside the pan along the bottom, which is where you want them. That's where the particles settle.
No drain plug on stock pan, but one can be welded in.
The PML 42RLE pan comes with a magnetic drain plug, but no magnets inside along the bottom, as magnets wont stick to aluminum.