low fuel light distance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine usually will only take about 15 gallons if I fill up shortly after the light comes on.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel gauge sender is not exactly a precision instrument, the EVIC the gauge and the light all get there information from the same sender. The only way to know for sure is to drive till your engine dies, probably not a good idea.

ed.

Reaction score
The fuel gauge sender is not exactly a precision instrument, the EVIC the gauge and the light all get there information from the same sender. The only way to know for sure is to drive till your engine dies, probably not a good idea.
Bit of a pain for the CRD as then you need to bleed out the air etc for the high pressure fuel pump.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. That is exactly what you have to do in order to know for sure. Mangate, let us know what your results were :)

Sorry, I don't intend to try it on mine. Like I said it's probably not a good idea, especially if it's true about the pump needing fuel for cooling.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once drove 70 miles on the light when nearly new (the last 30 miles was from over 3K feet to about 200 feet). In the last year or so the sensor has changed when it alarms and it no longer gives me more than about 10 to perhaps 20 miles of margin depending on where I am driving.

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
well went 300 miles and put in 20.9 gallons....i think the neck holds a gallon or so. idk 15 mpg city isnt quite the best hhaha

Bundu Boy

Reaction score
Yesterday I filled up just as the trip computer said 0kms to empty. When I filled up I got 68 litres into my tank, 10 short of the 78l capacity.

I've calculated that at when running at around 14l/km I'd get just over 70kms once the trip computer reads 0km to empty. I once did 55kms when on "empty", I normally just fill up when the light comes on but know that I have that 50+kms if I need it......

user113

Reaction score
As stated by Marlon_JB2, the 2005 manual says the light comes on when there is "approximately 2.3 U.S. Gallons (8.7 Liters)" but fuel gauges are notoriously poorly calibrated in most cars, including the Libertys. Be cautious.

cldmstr

Reaction score
According to the Owner's Manual that came with my 2002 KJ, the fuel tank holds 18.5 gallons. When the low fuel light comes on, there is approximately 5 gallons of fuel remaining. This is a number I have deduced based on experience. I have depended on that number many times in the years I have owned this car, and never run out of fuel while seeking a gas station. Also, I usually put in anywhere from 16.5 to 18.5 gallons when I finally find one. If the thing holds more fuel than the Manual states, I have yet to discover what that amount might be. No, I'm not going to experiment. I have also never had a problem with the fuel pump burning up and am still using the original at 104,000 miles.

Cloudmaster Don

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my 2005 FSM, it states that once a signal is recieved that the fuel level is less than 15% or 1/8th mark, the light is illuminated until it goes back over that number.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why all you complaining about one of the few things Chrysler actually did right?

Fill your tank when the light comes on and save your fuel pump instead of tryinmg to squeak by till your on fumes and your pumps running hot.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why all you complaining about one of the few things Chrysler actually did right?

Fill your tank when the light comes on and save your fuel pump instead of tryinmg to squeak by till your on fumes and your pumps running hot.

Wasn't complaining. Stating a fact. I personally am glad that when my needle hits E, I still have some comfort room in order to NOT burn up my fuel pump.

blackvyper

Reaction score
As stated by Marlon_JB2, the 2005 manual says the light comes on when there is "approximately 2.3 U.S. Gallons (8.7 Liters)" but fuel gauges are notoriously poorly calibrated in most cars, including the Libertys. Be cautious.

When my fuel light come on I have more than 12 liters left. I always try to keep it at least half full but I wanted to see how much gas I had left when the light comes on so that I would know in case something happened.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can fit about 16.5 gallons in my tank on a fill up MAX... allowing for .5 gallons of air space... I'd say it's a 18 gallon tank really. I've gone as far as 40 miles with the light on, at about 19 mpg. So let's say I used 2 gallons of gas. So my light turns on at about 3.5 gallons left. I imagine I could probably drive for 70-80 miles before killing it. But that would be stupid.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can fit about 16.5 gallons in my tank on a fill up MAX... allowing for .5 gallons of air space... I'd say it's a 18 gallon tank really. I've gone as far as 40 miles with the light on, at about 19 mpg. So let's say I used 2 gallons of gas. So my light turns on at about 3.5 gallons left. I imagine I could probably drive for 70-80 miles before killing it. But that would be stupid.

04s have 19.5 gal tank. just fyi.