low fuel light distance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhanson16

Reaction score
Anyone know how far you can go once the low fuel light comes on. I know driving styles and conditions come into play here. Just curious if anyone has tried it?

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you still have around 5 gallons left when the light comes on. Dont go by that, maybe somebody else will be able to back me up.:)

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think I'd try to find out. With the fuel pump/filter in the tank, it relies on being in fuel to keep the pump cool. If you run it low or out, you increase the risk of burning up a fuel pump.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way there's 5 gallons. When mine comes on, I fill up with 18-18.5 gallons. That means you'd have 2-2.5 gallons if we have a 20.5 gallon tank.

I have heard the cooling theory too. Might be true, but for the past 10 years that I have been driving, I always go until the light's on then fill up. I've never had a pump issue. I've also driven some decently high milage vehicles. The KJ is the second one I've bought at under 100k miles.. I've owned 4 daily drivers prior to the KJ (KJ is #5) ;)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it is when the OTIS/EVIC reads 15 miles left on the tank. I'm not sure, but I do know it is scary close compared to other vehicles. It doesnt take the reserve into account though, I think.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The gas light comes on when there's 2.3 gallons in the tank. There is no separate reserve tank on the KJ. The farthest I've ever driven was 10 miles and I was nervous the whole way. EVIC will state anywhere from 12-20 miles to empty.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my EVIC down to 4 miles to empty (although I don't remember how long the light had been on...), but when I filled up it only (!!) took 18.75 gallons or so.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
I'm with Atrus on this one! Our light comes one occasionally(service attendant at DC told me about 9.5-10 ltr./2.51-2.641 US Gallons reserve) and it is straight to the filling station.
Mind you, we keep a full 5 liter plastic fuel can with us at all times "Just in case" and rarely run below the half tank mark 'cause our KJ just don't like runninin' with half a tank! Top it up and I swear it has more omph!

Cheers

Ryan

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had my evic say 0miles left and I drove for 5-10miles after that. Only got 17gallons in it and I have a 19.5 gallon tank

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran with low fuel light on 30 miles one time...then fueled up with almost 19 gallons. So i guess i had about .5-.7 gallons left...or about 10-14 miles. Normally when it comes on i fill up within 5 miles. Normally at that point i end up putting around 17.5-18 gallons in it.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes on with about 3 gallons left in my '03. I've run it for about 20 miles or so and still could only squeeze in 16.5 gallons. My EVIC seems to hit zero miles to empty about the same time the light comes on.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the manual in my jeep says at 19 gal and that its a 20.5 gal tank. so 1.5 gal left. this is how i remember it when i read it, but if i remeber wrong, i know for sure the manual does tell u, so u can look it up.

the evic is always off by a bit, so dont trust it.

ed.

Reaction score
77L tank.
When my light comes on I can stuff around 55L in so there's around 20L left.
Considering my CRD does around 10L/100km around town.

I have around 200km left until it dies. 100km's after the light comes on to be safe LOL.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
the manual in my jeep says at 19 gal and that its a 20.5 gal tank. so 1.5 gal left. this is how i remember it when i read it, but if i remeber wrong, i know for sure the manual does tell u, so u can look it up.

the evic is always off by a bit, so dont trust it.

For MPG though, MY EVIC is spot on.

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
i usally only can put in 16.5 17 when my light comes on but i have the 20.5gallon tank. I think it is 5 gallons on my o5 but im not sure. I have drove over 60 miles with the light comming on.

zeke1312

Reaction score
Fuel Reserve

Best plan is to not run below 1/4 tank full. No need to carry extra gas (why do that?) or bite your nails driving on a light.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes on with about 3 gallons left in my '03. I've run it for about 20 miles or so and still could only squeeze in 16.5 gallons. My EVIC seems to hit zero miles to empty about the same time the light comes on.

Ive noticed 3 gallons left in mine also when the light comes on. I don't make a habit of running it that low, but I have on occasion and that seems to be what's left over.

Mr.Jack

Reaction score
I have driven 50 miles after the light and tone.(not by choice)Freaked out the whole time.Fill up took only 18 gallons.Still,light and tone means fill-up!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuck. It scares the crap out of me when the light comes on and I know there is no way I'm stopping for gas. I have recently noticed that if I fill up at the 1/4 mark I have a considerable higher gas mileage than if I filled up after 1/4. Nearly .7 - 1.2mpg higher in comparison. Could that mean the fuel pump must work harder when you get near the end of the tank?