Losing brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently started getting a locked in brake light...checked the fluid and it was low...filled er up and GTG.

So wheres the fluid going?
I honestly have not even looked for the leak yet, but just asking for advice as far as where to look first. I'm a little weak on brake system knowledge, but generally a good mechanic once I know what I'm looking for/at.

Oh yeah, its an 05 limited.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible that you need new brake pads if you have not checked them I would look there first for when the pads get worn down the piston in the caliper pushes out further causing the brake fluid level to drop.

If that is the cause be careful when you change the pads for when the piston is pressed back in the fluid level will increase causing you to have to much and it might overflow.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is inspect your brakes all the way around!
If one of the caliper's leaks though piston seals, it can get messy and should be immediately noticeable once you pull the wheels. I just replaced my rear brake rotors including the ebrake shoes and if I had real high mileage, I would also replace the calipers while there.
You will know what is up once you do an inspection, or notice any line drips in driveway.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently started getting a locked in brake light...checked the fluid and it was low...filled er up and GTG.

So wheres the fluid going?
I honestly have not even looked for the leak yet, but just asking for advice as far as where to look first. I'm a little weak on brake system knowledge, but generally a good mechanic once I know what I'm looking for/at.

Oh yeah, its an 05 limited.
Do you have a good brake peddle? Feels good? Stops the vehicle? If yes to all of those you need brakes.

You never top off a brake master unless you replaced a caliper or the master itself.The fluid level is a brake wear gauge,when your like comes on and your brake pedal feels good it's almost always due to needing barkes all the way around.

As a Tech I hate when poeple top off the masters,or ask me to and the answer is always "NO",as it makes a very big mess when the caliper psitons are depressed,and no I will not drain some of the brake fluid out for someone elses stupidity.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part are you after?
Just knowledge. I was hoping to find a drawing I could use to go over the system hand over hand to get a better understanding, and to make sure I check thoroughly enough for any leaks.

Do you have a good brake peddle? Feels good? Stops the vehicle? If yes to all of those you need brakes.

You never top off a brake master unless you replaced a caliper or the master itself.The fluid level is a brake wear gauge,when your like comes on and your brake pedal feels good it's almost always due to needing barkes all the way around.

As a Tech I hate when poeple top off the masters,or ask me to and the answer is always "NO",as it makes a very big mess when the caliper psitons are depressed,and no I will not drain some of the brake fluid out for someone elses stupidity.

Well thats pretty clear, I'll take a look at the pads and make sure if I work them I suck out a little fluid first. Thanks. Ive never had that happen on any of my other vehicles so I wasnt aware. Actually pretty helpful for the fluid level to trigger a light before its too late and rotors and calipers become one:icon_mrgreen:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Just knowledge. I was hoping to find a drawing I could use to go over the system hand over hand to get a better understanding, and to make sure I check thoroughly enough for any leaks.

Well thats pretty clear, I'll take a look at the pads and make sure if I work them I suck out a little fluid first. Thanks. Ive never had that happen on any of my other vehicles so I wasnt aware. Actually pretty helpful for the fluid level to trigger a light before its too late and rotors and calipers become one:icon_mrgreen:

I've got a 2004 Full service manual...
If you would like it, I guess I could try and email it to you!

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2004 Full service manual...
If you would like it, I guess I could try and email it to you!

Thanks for offering. I have the CD, but havent had more than five minutes available all week to take a look at it. I'll do that before moving forward, I was just hoping a simple line diagram existed somewhere.

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another scenario

while the situation here definitely seems like a simple new-pads scenario...there is one other place I have seen brake fluid go that is sometimes difficult (not obvious) to track.

The pads are good, pedal is sometimes mushy, sbut usually firm, but can be usually pumped up in one pedal cycle. No fluid leaks from the calipers, wheel cylinders (if drum equipped), and the rubber lines are not spongy or leaking. Brake fluid is being used...it is going somewhere, even after refilling.

Where could this be?? The rear seal on the master cylinder is allowing minute amounts of fluid to leak into the vacuum boost canister. The vac from the engine will usually pull the fluid through the intake and the engine will burn it. This was very common on the vehicles of the 70 and early 80's. On non-power assist brakes, the fluid would run back inside the vehicle, along the firewall. By pulling back the carpet, you could observe the stripped paint under the carpet.