Looking to overhaul my suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmnetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Multi-part question time!

Well I've had my KJ for a year now - time to redo the saggy stock suspension. I want to replace springs with OME's and shocks/struts with... something. I guess people like Bilstein shocks to go with OME springs? Any other suggestions?

I think I'll go with medium duty front and back for the springs - I don't have or plan to have any heavy stuff attached to my front but I'd like a somewhat firmer ride than stock. Are the medium-duty (926/948 I think) reasonable for that?

I also think I'm going to have to have it done in a shop - I've never worked on a suspension myself (strike 1), I currently live in an apartment with no real room to work on car stuff (strike 2) and I'm just not going to have a lot of spare time to mess with it in the near future. Long shot, but anyone know a good shop in the Utah Valley area that I can trust with this? I'm probably going to source the parts myself, just pay for the install.

Thanks for any advice/comments/flaming :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock springs are rated at 310 lbs
926s are rated at 375 lb so yes they are a little bit heavier rated so firmer ride.
Personally I'd never and have never installed anything but the 927/948 combo.
Firm ride but not not so bad it knocks your fillings out . Much better ride/handling/overall control over stock
Since you're in Utah, just don't head to Rocky Road Outfitters

jmnetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I've heard RRO has a bad rep on this board. It's a shame - they seem to be the only local Jeep-focused shop that doesn't roll their eyes at Libertys, but... They can't even be trusted if I source my own parts then? Ick

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been running the med. duties front and rear for going on...3 years I think. Over 30k miles too. I love the setup, hasn't sagged besides after the first alignment a bit (normal). My theory behind my choice was that I'm not running a winch or anything, so I'd get better flex. If you are going to run a winch, go HD or even CRD springs. But I'm completely satisfied with my medium duty springs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, I've heard RRO has a bad rep on this board. It's a shame - they seem to be the only local Jeep-focused shop that doesn't roll their eyes at Libertys, but... They can't even be trusted if I source my own parts then? Ick

They have a bad rap on any board be it Jeeps or whatever / whoever
most people deal with them one time and then its over

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome)

Ask your friends about a local garage that is trustworthy and that works on a variety of different vehicles. Provide them with the write-up posted in the How-To section and they should be able to get you set up in about 3 hours - and it would be a bonus if they can do the alignment too. If they can't no big deal - just take your Jeep to a reputable tire shop to align it.

Though it may seem like a big job, a spring/shock installation isn't really that difficult. The back is super easy (especially if you have it done at a shop since they'll put it on a lift) and the front is just more involved - but not hard to do. Give the shop as much information as possible about the lift (including pictures of lifted Liberties from this board) and they will have no trouble.

You'll love your Jeep so much more after it's all done - like a completely different vehicle!

Bob

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the 790s for the fronts I got from TBJ. I wonder how firm the ride will be...

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty firm. I had those on my first KJ. Pretty nice ride after I put weight on the front.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have a bad rap on any board be it Jeeps or whatever / whoever
most people deal with them one time and then its over

Ordered twice from RRO... no problems. Stuff even shows up fast shipped to Canada. My arms are here, and UPS tried to deliver my locker but I wasn't home.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered twice from RRO... no problems. Stuff even shows up fast shipped to Canada. My arms are here, and UPS tried to deliver my locker but I wasn't home.

One of the very few who have had good luck

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More incentive to build a bumper!

That's what I did. My bumper is heavy. As in around 90lbs. Its a pretty nice ride now. Still a little stiff but nothing more than my buddy's Vette.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk