looking to buy - 04 vs 05 vs 06

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's my first post (well, actually, I posted on the wrong forum - KK, so I deleted it). I am looking at three similarly equipped Liberties in my area - all 4x4 Sports. They are an '04, '05 and '06.

What are the differences? One I noticed is it seems '05+ have the smaller fog lights up in the grill area versus the bumper. Any advantage/disadvantage?

Also, any problem areas I should look for (i.e., typical rust spot, weak body seam, etc)?

Thanks!

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 05+ models have traction control and electronic stability control. (Which I like.) Some people with the manual trannys have problem with it, but it seems to work very well on auto Libertys.

dnm45227

Reaction score
pretty sure the esp was 06+. also the warranty on '04 and '05 was 7/70, the '06+ models get 3/36.

other than fogs and chrome (don't think '04 and previous years had the chrome grill and moldings) they should all be about the same.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, cool - that was a question I forgot to ask....the warranty. I've seen some with 36k advertised, some with 70k. The silver '05 a 1/2 mile from my house is sounding better and better.

What do you think? 2005 Sport, base except tinted glass, rims, and cruise control. 20,020 miles, they want $15,800. Of course I won't pay anything near that, I plan to have them drop it significantly, like $12k-13k. Sound decent?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall, I like the 2004 libertys the most. The 05+ looks just haven't grown on me.. yet.. I personally believe the ESP is the best thing that has happened to the liberty. Some people do not understand how much safer that makes a vehicle.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree that I like the '04 style better. Just looks more aggressive to me. On the other hand, less chance of bashing up a fog light with the smaller higher ones in the '05+. I currently have a Grand Prix, and I put glass 55w H3 driving lamps in there. I go through at least 1 set a year from rocks or road salt blowing them out.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It took a while for the '05 to grow on me, but now I think it looks more "Jeepy".

But the '02-'04 blends in better with the rest of the body.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree that I like the '04 style better. Just looks more aggressive to me. On the other hand, less chance of bashing up a fog light with the smaller higher ones in the '05+. I currently have a Grand Prix, and I put glass 55w H3 driving lamps in there. I go through at least 1 set a year from rocks or road salt blowing them out.

If DCX used poor glass for the foglights on an off-road vehicle then they have someones head to examine. I have an 04, with fog lights, and have had it off-road numerous times. Gravel roads a-lot, road salt galore (Michigan) and even the occasional construction cone lenses smashing up against the fog light area (yes construction cone lenses, stupid I-94).

I have never had to replace the fog light due to them cracking or smashing up. So that means your getting an 04 right? :) :D

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the 04 best. I've had an 03 and just got my 04 not too long ago. 04 looks more rugged in my opinion. I drove 2 05's, 06 and then the 04 that I bought and they all drive the same with little difference. The 06 I drove actually drove the worse, but that was probably just a bad one or something. it had 17" limited rims too. hmm. I like the window switches where they are in the 04s and earlier too. I never did find an 05+ with 16" 235 tires on it either. they were all 225s. that little bit really makes a difference. I guess the early Jeeps had skinny tires right? It may be small to everyone else, but one thing that was a deal breaker along with the front end (headlights) and windows switches was the white faced gauges and having the speedo on the right. Why they changed that I have been asking myself since I first saw an 05. I can understand having them black (I like how they look too) but why flop 'em around? The only thing I would change would be the transmission back to the 42. that's my 2¢.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Molado, good to know. I am in the Detroit area too, I am a 696 man ;-). I work in Southfield and live in Sterling Heights.

Ideally, I would buy an '04. What I am finding that fit my criteria are '05's and '06's. I prefer the '04 front end, but I am not that picky, I just want a KJ. I also am not a fan of the white faced gauges. I know they were very popular for a while and I liked them a few years back, but I am just not a fan now.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sweet, ANOTHER Local!!!!!!!! Speaking of the I-94 evils, I'm trying to figure out when this rock hit my turn signal lens... and cracked it.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Molado, good to know. I am in the Detroit area too, I am a 696 man ;-). I work in Southfield and live in Sterling Heights.

Ideally, I would buy an '04. What I am finding that fit my criteria are '05's and '06's. I prefer the '04 front end, but I am not that picky, I just want a KJ. I also am not a fan of the white faced gauges. I know they were very popular for a while and I liked them a few years back, but I am just not a fan now.

That's great your a local to Marlon and I. I just bought my first house over at 696 and Hoover. The KJ has it's first home (Garage) and its loving it. Whichever vehicle you choose you won't be disappointed. Make sure you compare costs/mileage/add-ons between all 3 years to ensure you get the best bang for your buck. Let us know how it goes!!

BTW:
If you see a silver Liberty in front of you and it spits soot out the tailpipe, that's Marlon in his CRD. If you see a Black lifted KJ with black steel Cragar wheels and BFG off-road tires, that's me!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal you guys - I am heading out Monday night to look at an inferno red '06. Hopefully we can reach a mutual agreement on price.