Looking for suggestions- undercoats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I am now 90% complete cleaning and rust bonding Bert’s undercarriage. Looking for a good undercoating to apply before salt season starts.
Prefer a rattle can or spray gun application.
Used to use Por 15 on my VWs, but they are pretty much flat and easy to roller and brush on.

Thoughts? The OE undercoat was basically gone and a previous owner coated the rust with what I’m certain was SpraySeal…poorly…

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My Jeep was done with a Teflon coated product called Platinum Shield in BC Canada. $150.
Not sure if it is available in the USA.
It is a thin coat that has stood the test of time very well.
Have you checked around for under coating shops & see what may be available?

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a few of these, some paint brushes and work in a nice, thick coat. It's one of the more thicker greases sold and won't wash off over time like just about every liquid treatment does, even in hot summer months. I put this on my truck's frame a few years back and every last bit of it is still there and not a spec of rust has come through the coat. Yea, everything will stick to it (at 1st, anyway) and u have to be a little careful when doing repair work under there not to get any on you, but it's dirt cheap. For areas you can't reach with a brush, heat the grease up a little and trying spraying it with a pneumatic engine cleaning/sandblast gun.

Attachments

• untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 4

Dstangline

Reaction score
I use Wd-40 in the doors, rockers and any where there is a seem where water could get to. My 2006 Liberty that I bought in 2010 has no rust issues.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I use Wd-40 in the doors, rockers and any where there is a seem where water could get to. My 2006 Liberty that I bought in 2010 has no rust issues.
Be careful using WD40. It gets sticky over time and will collect abrasive grime. It also absorbs water from the atmosphere. All synthetic Endura is a superior option.

CHIPPER146

Reaction score
I'll be using Fluid-Film "BLACK" on mine. I've used the regular tan version on my Dodge PU with great success. Once I do it I'll let you know how it comes out. I have some new parts to install on the front end so I'm wait until this work is complete so I can do the entire undercoat job once.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been using fluid film for years. Just wish I knew it existed when I first got my KJ, I would've sprayed the inside of the rockers.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid film has been good to me, I have a little spray can of it for small areas (south florida isn't too bad on oxidizing, but my vehicle spent some time in/near rust belt with previous owner)

It's lanolin based, so if its hard to find or over priced in your area you can search for lanolin based undercoats. (I haven't tried other brands to comment on their effectiveness)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’m going to give fluid film a try. Under 50$ a gallon.

thanks for all the advice!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 04 has had fluid film under it for years ( well ever since 04 )
no rust anywhere
of course since I bought it new, kept it washed everywhere ( even running in mud had a undercarriage spray system set up to keep it clean ) it has stayed good
just picked up some spray cans to touch up the 03 and 05 today

CHIPPER146

Reaction score
Oh well, I couldn't wait to start the project. It was a nice sunny day so I shot the back half of the underneath with Fluid Film "BLACK". First time I used the black version. It has a nice look and makes everything look new and Purdy... Something about black makes it look rich. It goes on smooth and even, and is super easy to use with the spray gun. The only issue I've encountered is moving the product from the gallon can to the quart cup on the spray gun. I've been using the top off a spray paint can to dip it and dump it into the paint cup. The product is the consistency of mayonnaise so it won't pour.

I think I paid $43 for a gallon on Amazon. I also bought a spray gun for $34. Total = way less cost than if I paid to have it done. Oh, and $8.00 for 25 half inch hole plugs so I can drill into the areas that rust and apply the product in those areas.