Looking for suggestions: vehicle mounted air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’m shopping for a VMAC for Bert, in addition to the obvious uses, I’d like to mount it inside one of the third window compartments I’m building.

Not interested in the very Overpriced ARB unit. Planned usage is tire maintenance, various science stuff, and roadside emergencies when I find I’ll equipped “influencers” stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Id prefer one designed for the job, rather than adapting a regular car portable. No air lockers here!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Viair unit that I keep in my trunk box that works great. It airs tires up quickly. I haven’t mounted it because I use it both on my Jeep and trailer. But it could be mounted I think.

JibeHo22

Reaction score
There is a wide range of performance in 12V air compressors. So you will need to determine what specs you want the compressor to be able to meet (max. PSI, duty cycle, and CFM). Knowing those parameters, you can then get a compressor that will work for you. The prices vary depending on those 3 parameters.
This page gives a good view of the Firestone compressors and their respective specs vs. cost.
I have a Firestone compressor and a 1 gal. air tank permanently mounted for the air bags on my RV, and it works very well.

Also, there are many portable compressors on the market now that use rechargeable batteries.
You don't have to carry a long air hose with you, and being able to bring the compressor to the point of need increases the utility of the compressor.
Amazon has oodles of the them.
Not a good choice if you plan to air down your tires. But should work OK for inflating a tire in an emergency.
Same specs apply as stated above.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
There is a wide range of performance in 12V air compressors. So you will need to determine what specs you want the compressor to be able to meet (max. PSI, duty cycle, and CFM). Knowing those parameters, you can then get a compressor that will work for you. The prices vary depending on those 3 parameters.
This page gives a good view of the Firestone compressors and their respective specs vs. cost.
I have a Firestone compressor and a 1 gal. air tank permanently mounted for the air bags on my RV, and it works very well.

Also, there are many portable compressors on the market now that use rechargeable batteries.
You don't have to carry a long air hose with you, and being able to bring the compressor to the point of need increases the utility of the compressor.
Amazon has oodles of the them.
Not a good choice if you plan to air down your tires. But should work OK for inflating a tire in an emergency.
Same specs apply as stated above.
Excellent info. Thank you. I have been eyeballing the rechargables quite a bit.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Since the original post my needs have changed a bit. With the installation of an Apollo and snorkel, I have a large space to do a vehicle mount. I also added a Benjamin Bulldog to my field gear. However it has some pretty hefty requirements with 3k psi need for a full charge. That compressor far exceeds needs for all other uses.

I’ll continue my research with all the excellent info here and report back

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
under hood if you have room
That is where mine always were on the Cherokees , easy to get to etc

How much are you looking at price wise
I never like smittybilts junk but their 2781 5.65 CFM compressor does a good job
I use mine for work 99 percent of the time ( dump trucks, tractors etc ) but it is rated right up there with ARBs
actually number two on JeepHunters site
160 on amazon

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
under hood if you have room
That is where mine always were on the Cherokees , easy to get to etc

How much are you looking at price wise
I never like smittybilts junk but their 2781 5.65 CFM compressor does a good job
I use mine for work 99 percent of the time ( dump trucks, tractors etc ) but it is rated right up there with ARBs
actually number two on JeepHunters site
160 on amazon

Not too worried about price, but prefer to keep it under a grand. Have two spare tanks for the bulldog which is 10-20 rounds depending on altitude, likely wont need to charge it much.

You running that Smittybuilt under hood or as a portable?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not too worried about price, but prefer to keep it under a grand. Have two spare tanks for the bulldog which is 10-20 rounds depending on altitude, likely wont need to charge it much.

You running that Smittybuilt under hood or as a portable?
Portable , like I said I use it at work 99 percent of the time
stays mainly in the Honda side by side until I road trip

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted a Viair 380C air compressor in the rear window area.
It mounted on a plate mounted to the unibody.
Mounted underneath the plate is the pressure switch and pressure regulator.
I chose the 380C for it 100% duty rating and 200 psi rating. It is not super fast, but it works great.

You must be registered for see images attach