Longer service intervals on KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really like the longer service intervals for the various fluids and parts of my new-to-me KK, especially compared with those of my 90s-era Grand Cherokee. Am I the only one impressed with this, or am I just late to the party?

Part of this is due to advancements in, say, the fluids themselves. For example, I now use the "Lifetime" coolant in my GC (I'm still gonna flush and replenish after 5 years), and I now use the DOT-4-capable synthetic blend brake fluid in my GC--noticed it flushes out cleaner, lighter-colored than the old conventional type, even after the same change interval of 1 to 2years.

Your thoughts/experience, etc?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the fluids often and well before they look bad.Once the fluids bad you will have nothing but trouble with that system.

Coolant,never go longer then 5 years of 75k.Oil,well I'd never go 1 mile past 3k(I personally change every 1500 miles),PS fluid at least every 60k,Diffs every 15k-18k if using synthetic gear oil(no it's not better for your diffs,stupid syn gear oil),brake fluid they have test strips for to test for copper content and change when you get to 200ppm.Trans change every 60k at least(with filter),if just doing a pan drop change it every 30k since you only change 1/3 of the fluid.T-case fluid every 60k,PCV valve every 60k.

The fluid intervals really never changed,they just state they did due to the fact that 90% never keep there vehicles long enough to be effect by neglect,just pass it on to the next owner with no warranty.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the fluids often and well before they look bad.Once the fluids bad you will have nothing but trouble with that system.

Coolant,never go longer then 5 years of 75k.Oil,well I'd never go 1 mile past 3k(I personally change every 1500 miles),PS fluid at least every 60k,Diffs every 15k-18k if using synthetic gear oil(no it's not better for your diffs,stupid syn gear oil),brake fluid they have test strips for to test for copper content and change when you get to 200ppm.Trans change every 60k at least(with filter),if just doing a pan drop change it every 30k since you only change 1/3 of the fluid.T-case fluid every 60k,PCV valve every 60k.

The fluid intervals really never changed,they just state they did due to the fact that 90% never keep there vehicles long enough to be effect by neglect,just pass it on to the next owner with no warranty.

These are some good arguments why since the early 1990s I've only bought new or very-near-new vehicles! Most owners just don't take proper care of their vehicles, or they think that the quick-service place is doing things right for them, and the place isn't.

I've always changed fluids, filters, belts, hoses, etc as indicated if not MORE often. But it's not always readily apparent as to whether prior owners have done so, no? And the older a vehicle is/the more miles it has on it, the greater the chances something wasn't done right.

Last edited: