Locking rear Diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04liberty2wd

Reaction score
Looking into getting a locking rear diff...not sure which one to go with...if anyone has some ideas on what to get and where to get it I would greatly appreciate it...thanks in advance.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Depends....do you prefer auto or manual???

Popular auto ones:

Powertrax
Detroit True Trac

Manual ones:

ARB....(for the ARB, you will need an air compressor)

And also,

(welcome)

04liberty2wd

Reaction score
thanks...yeah i def. want an auto locker...im on a tight budget and i saw that the powertrax lockers are going for about $450 on ebay...not sure about the detroit true trac...do you know a good website where i can find one?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
thanks...yeah i def. want an auto locker...im on a tight budget and i saw that the powertrax lockers are going for about $450 on ebay...not sure about the detroit true trac...do you know a good website where i can find one?

I've always like 4wheelparts.com.....they also install.:)

04liberty2wd

Reaction score
do you know anything about mini spools? im just trying to get rid of my open diff. to do some basic off-roading and not have to worry about the tire thats in the air spinning while the one thats on the ground isnt..lol. im thinking that a mini spool..or a spool might solve my problem and be the cheapest route.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
do you know anything about mini spools? im just trying to get rid of my open diff. to do some basic off-roading and not have to worry about the tire thats in the air spinning while the one thats on the ground isnt..lol. im thinking that a mini spool..or a spool might solve my problem and be the cheapest route.

I've heard spools are a bad choice for street driving....:)

04liberty2wd

Reaction score
yeah especially during the rain...makes sense..and ive already totalled one vehicle due to hydroplainning...oh well i guess i will just go ahead and spend the money on the powertrax system...it seems to be the one everyone is going with on here...thanks for your help.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah especially during the rain...makes sense..and ive already totalled one vehicle due to hydroplainning...oh well i guess i will just go ahead and spend the money on the powertrax system...it seems to be the one everyone is going with on here...thanks for your help.

Sure thing my friend.:)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

do not waste your money on the power trax
I broke 2 of them back to back
got my money back and for $150 more put in a real locker
I now have a Detroit locker and could not be happier with it
this is in my TJ and I wheel it hard
I also have an ARB up front ,great until the seals go out
not hard to change just the fact that they can

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be on a budget but you will not be happy with a lunchbox locker like the powertrax.Just save a bit more and get a Detroit locker(about $550 for the 8.25) or the ARB locker(about $1000 with compressor) and you will be much happier and should never have a problem.

The detroit True Trac is not a locker,it is a limited slip but about the best on the market and no need for special friction modifiers since it has no clutches. and works best in a front application.

04liberty2wd

Reaction score
thanks guys...yeah ive read a lot of different threads on here saying that the powertrax system isnt worth a crap...im sure i will be a lot happier with the detroit true trac system...all im looking for is a limited slip...i dont plan on wheeling it to hard..just trying to get rid of the open dif as cheaply as possible and it still be practacle for everyday street driving too.

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
I just got my Aussie Locker put in. It clicks around tight turns (mainly in parking lots), but other than that, can't notice it at all. I put a ton of miles on my truck so I am hoping to get a long life out of it.

bobcat7

Reaction score
I just ordered the Aussie locker for my '06. Should be here later this week or early next week. Plan on doing the install myself. Heard a lot of good things about them. I did have the lock rite in my 80 Camaro that I used for legal drag racing. That thing had 400 HP and never had a problem FWIW.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a limited slip, I would definitely recommend the DTT. I had the factory LSD replaced with a DTT when it broke and damaged my pinion bearing. If I had known how much better the DTT was, I would have upgraded to it back when I went to 4.10s.