Locating oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While replacing my catalytic converter today, I noticed quite a lot of oil underneath. I have not noticed anything dripping, but as you can see in the pictures it's been blown over quite a large area.

The bottom of the front diff, the front of the transmission, the boot of the front drive shaft, and the bottom of the starter are all covered in oil.

Both valve covers are completely dry. I replaced the oil pressure sender and the front main seal last year. Could this possibly be the rear main seal? I know that's not a common leaking point on the 3.7, but the fact that the oil is as high up as the starter makes it seem unlikely to me that it's the pressure sender or the front main seal again.

You must be registered for see images attach

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it engine oil or gear oil? My 05 has a slight pinion seal leak at the front diff and slings it all over. Even so I only have to top it off every couple months. I consider it a special rust inhibitor option. Thanks Chrysler.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its from your front drive shaft. Bet if you follow the spray pattern to your starter it lines up pretty good with the drive shaft going from the t case to the front diff where it meets the front diff is where its leaking. I half ass reinstalled it once when i finished the trans swap as i was so excited to get it back on the road. Went under there the next day after only doing a few short trips and it was the same exact spray pattern. Check that all those bolts are cranked down. Looks like you may have recently rebuilt or got a new one make sure that end is all correct.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its from your front drive shaft. Bet if you follow the spray pattern to your starter it lines up pretty good with the drive shaft going from the t case to the front diff where it meets the front diff is where its leaking. I half ass reinstalled it once when i finished the trans swap as i was so excited to get it back on the road. Went under there the next day after only doing a few short trips and it was the same exact spray pattern. Check that all those bolts are cranked down. Looks like you may have recently rebuilt or got a new one make sure that end is all correct.

Ah I didn't even think of that possibility. The stuff on the starter and trans cooler lines indeed feels much more like grease than oil. Thanks!
I guess that's what I get for going with a cheap replacement driveshaft, instead of Mopar...
The gunk that's further forward is definitely some kind of oil, but that's relatively minor compared to the mess on the starter and trans.

Is it engine oil or gear oil? My 05 has a slight pinion seal leak at the front diff and slings it all over. Even so I only have to top it off every couple months. I consider it a special rust inhibitor option. Thanks Chrysler.

Hm it doesn't smell like gear oil, so I'm assuming it's engine oil. However, I have no idea how long gear oil would retain its distinctive smell in the open air, and after being covered in slush and ice almost on a daily basis for several weeks.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine didnt smell like anything special and it was only a day old. Clean the whole area up fix the drive shaft and go from there.